U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Arizona
1,112 posts, read 1,094,733 times
Reputation: 1598

Advertisements

Probably an old debate, but a valid one. A lot of kids don't want to be in school and would rather go for the big payday right away. Looks like it's going to happen for a few kids, anyway.

Hey, if I was talented enough to make big bucks by throwing a rubber ball into a metal hoop, I might go for it

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-are...020139816.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 PM
 
1,898 posts, read 2,948,812 times
Reputation: 1617
In light of the recent news concerning the Hampton kid I'd say very much so yes for basketball. In the grand scheme of things a very small percentage of the top high school talent is actually good enough to make it in the NBA right off the rip. So why not let them have at it? Put them in the D league and be done with it.

Football on the other hand is a different story. Rarely and I mean RARELY is an 18 year old teenager even remotely near the physicality of a seasoned NFL pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM
 
222 posts, read 171,116 times
Reputation: 307
I would prefer this.

Not because I care about the individual players, but because I care about the university system. It has been perverted by athletics. I wish the NFL and NBA had developed serious minor leagues 50 years ago like MLB and the NHL did. That way, only student-athletes who actually wanted to go to school would be there. You still get a handful of top MLB/NHL prospects from D1 schools every year but it's not everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 05:11 PM
 
32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Reputation: 19035
for basketball and baseball, high school grads are capable of going pro, though i dont recommend that. there are exceptions, and lebron james is one of those. most high school grads that go pro in baseball usually spend a fair amount of time in the minor leagues until they mature enough go to to the majors, though most end up spending their entire careers getting no higher than AAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,755 posts, read 1,948,054 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I would prefer this.

Not because I care about the individual players, but because I care about the university system. It has been perverted by athletics. I wish the NFL and NBA had developed serious minor leagues 50 years ago like MLB and the NHL did. That way, only student-athletes who actually wanted to go to school would be there. You still get a handful of top MLB/NHL prospects from D1 schools every year but it's not everyone.

In Baseball it is more then a handful. Over the past several years over 60 percent of players drafted played at least 3 yrs of college ball. In fact in the most recent draft of the 32 first rounders, only 9 are coming directly from HS.

As far as Football and Basketball, a scholarship is worth far more then the salary of what a minor league player would get in those two sports. It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be if the NFL had it's own developmental league. Would certainly be no where near what college football is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM
 
1,898 posts, read 2,948,812 times
Reputation: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I would prefer this.

Not because I care about the individual players, but because I care about the university system. It has been perverted by athletics. I wish the NFL and NBA had developed serious minor leagues 50 years ago like MLB and the NHL did. That way, only student-athletes who actually wanted to go to school would be there. You still get a handful of top MLB/NHL prospects from D1 schools every year but it's not everyone.

I wonder and this is just a thought if the NFL created a true American minor league system where each NFL team had a farm team of say 50-55 guys on it what that would do to the tiered system in college? In a given four year period if the best 1,500-2,000 aren't playing at Clemson, Bama, tOSU, Texas, ND, etc... would we see FBS (D1-A) and FCS (D-1AA) combine like they were before the late 70s?? In theory each year you might see the top 500 prospects in a given class "go pro" to this minor league. MOST of those not all are going to be kids who would normally go to the Power 5 schools I would imagine. Cropping off that high top end caliber group of kids, what would that do to the playing field between Power 5 / Group of 5 / FBS v. FCS????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM
 
1,898 posts, read 2,948,812 times
Reputation: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
In Baseball it is more then a handful. Over the past several years over 60 percent of players drafted played at least 3 yrs of college ball. In fact in the most recent draft of the 32 first rounders, only 9 are coming directly from HS.

As far as Football and Basketball, a scholarship is worth far more then the salary of what a minor league player would get in those two sports. It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be if the NFL had it's own developmental league. Would certainly be no where near what college football is.

Excellent point. Some class A baseball guys are getting as low as $1k a month during the season. AAA guys are making certainly 5 figures a month or more but you get down to these single A or rookie leagues and they're making basically minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Probably an old debate, but a valid one. A lot of kids don't want to be in school and would rather go for the big payday right away. Looks like it's going to happen for a few kids, anyway.

Hey, if I was talented enough to make big bucks by throwing a rubber ball into a metal hoop, I might go for it

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-are...020139816.html
Good or not, it probably,for most is not the best choice. Our son was faced with this decision in 1982. He decided because he didn't love school anyway,though he was a relatively good student that the money was more attractive. He could have gone pro in Golf or baseball. He choose the baseball bonus: Well, he was on his way to big things, the show, as he called it, when he slipped on the wet grass fielding a ball. He did continue to play for a few years, picked a no hitter but the arm was never the same and finally he gave baseball up. I am sure almost 40 years later he is sorry. He was married when he gave it up, did not feel like going back to college and his life was just not the same after that. We are sorry we didn't advise him better. He actually, did sign a college intent and registered for classes, but just about 2 weeks before school was to start he decided to take the bonus and go to winter ball in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top