Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times

Advertisements

All your life you grew up as a fan of one team but a job forced you to move to another state or city. Do you like or dislike the new local teams? I guess a lot of it depends on rivalries but I would love to hear some examples of what people did?

Did you even <gasp> drop the team you grew up with and went with the new team?
This question is for any team sport. Let’s hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 06:27 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
I was born a Boston Bruins fan and I will die a Boston Bruins fan.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I was born a Boston Bruins fan and I will die a Boston Bruins fan.
I respect this immensely!
I guess I grew up in an era when you became a fan of a team for life. You may have become a fan because of your father, your best friend, or simply the area you lived. You can move away but you are still who you were. It was like a marriage, for better or worse, sickness and in health, till death do us part! I see loyalty as an attribute, a lack of loyalty as a weakness.
Sadly, a great many hop on a winner's bus only to get off when the losing begins.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:35 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
people who change their fandom are the same people who cheat on their spouse

Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
All your life you grew up as a fan of one team but a job forced you to move to another state or city. Do you like or dislike the new local teams? I guess a lot of it depends on rivalries but I would love to hear some examples of what people did?

Did you even <gasp> drop the team you grew up with and went with the new team?
This question is for any team sport. Let’s hear it.
I was born and raised in Northeastern PA, and became a Chicago Bears fan in the mid 80's when they were good and eventually won Super Bowl XX and have never waned in my love for the Bears, then that turned into a love of the Bulls during the same time and Micheal Jordan and the Blackhawks as well.

Was never a fan of any MLB team, more of a love for a player, Wade Boggs.

So I still LOVE the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks to this day, 35 years of being a fan and the funny thing is, not only have I never lived in Chicagoland, I just visited the city for the first time in October 2018!

I have lived in Pennsylvania, Arizona, Hawai'i, Midway Atoll, Antarctica, North Carolina and South Carolina, and will probably be moving again next year to a new state and will still LOVE the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks. Now am I glad when a local/regional team wins, where I live, sure, except when they are playing the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks!

I'm sure there are people who change loyalties when they move from place to place, but I'm not one of them. Maybe it helped in that I never lived in Chicago or near it to begin with.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Grew up as a Steeler fan, because my dad was from Pittsburgh, although I have never lived there. I will also root for the local team, mostly as a social thing. But if it's the local team vs. the Steelers, the Steeler are on top every time.

For baseball, I do change allegiance to the local team, because going to baseball games is relatively inexpensive and so much fun, and I try to get to some every year. It's more fun if you are rooting for the home team when you are in the home ballpark. Although as I live in Denver, it's not saying a lot! lol! The Rockies had one good year since I moved here, not sure when they'll have another.

For hockey and basketball, I grew up a big fan of my then local teams, but don't follow either sport all that much anymore so no real allegiance either way. At this point, it's been well over 30 years since I had a rooting interest in the teams I grew up with, so I suppose I'd go with the Nuggets and the Avalanche if I was going to get back into it, or whoever is local if I move again.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was born and raised in Northeastern PA, and became a Chicago Bears fan in the mid 80's when they were good and eventually won Super Bowl XX and have never waned in my love for the Bears, then that turned into a love of the Bulls during the same time and Micheal Jordan and the Blackhawks as well.

Was never a fan of any MLB team, more of a love for a player, Wade Boggs.

So I still LOVE the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks to this day, 35 years of being a fan and the funny thing is, not only have I never lived in Chicagoland, I just visited the city for the first time in October 2018!

I have lived in Pennsylvania, Arizona, Hawai'i, Midway Atoll, Antarctica, North Carolina and South Carolina, and will probably be moving again next year to a new state and will still LOVE the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks. Now am I glad when a local/regional team wins, where I live, sure, except when they are playing the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks!

I'm sure there are people who change loyalties when they move from place to place, but I'm not one of them. Maybe it helped in that I never lived in Chicago or near it to begin with.
Cj, were you able to see a game when in Chicago?

Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Cj, were you able to see a game when in Chicago?
Nah, I wish, I was only there for one night, I was just visiting the Pullman National Monument and neighboring Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, now it's a National Park (I'm a big National Park Service nerd!).

Although it was quick, I got to try my first deep-dish pizza and even went downtown in see the Chicago Marathon that was being held that Sunday morning before my flight back.

I saw the Bears play the Panthers in October 2014 in Charlotte, they lost 31-24!

I've seen the Blackhawks play the Hurricanes in Raleigh 3 or 4 times.

Then I've seen the Bulls, back when Jordan played for them, play the 76ers and Nets, then more recently saw the Bulls play the Hornets.

I don't think I will ever stop being a fan for those 3 teams!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
i am more a fan of teh games rather than a fan of the teams, though i have my favorite teams as well. for instance i became a yankees fan in the late 60s, and shortly there after i also became a dodgers fan. yankes number one, dodgeres number two. later on i added the red sox, the cubs and the angels to my top five list, in no particular order. when the diamondbacks came into being, they became my number one team, knocking the rest down a notch.

i became a colts fan in the late 60s as well, but they dropped a spot when i became a cowboys fan after the 1972 suoer bowl when the cowboys beat the dolphins.

who i root for in a game though depends on how it affects my favorite teams. for instance if the raiders, a favorite of mine, beating the eagles would help the cowboys, then the nfc east be damned i want the raiders to win.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I maintain affinity to certain teams I grew up with in the 70's, but if you think about it, over the decades, the players, coach, GM, owner and often even the location where the team plays might have all changed. Maybe even the color of the jerseys/uniform. Or the team moved to another city.

So what's left other than the legacy/history?

Not knocking it at all, but I don't get fussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports