Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 04:01 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,936,484 times

Advertisements

Okay. I'm watching the Cubs spank the Pirates right now. The cameras are panning the crowd as Bonnie Hunt screeches out "Take Me Out To The Ball Game." And I'm amazed at how many people actually made out signs with slogans.

The players don't see them. Heck, given how many players are from the Dominican Republic, they might not even be able to read the cotton-picking things.

So these people basically spend all that time making up cheesy signs so that maybe, just maybe, they'll get a half-second appearance on television.

I mean, can't they get on television in some more meaningful way? Threaten to jump off the Sears Tower? Run naked down Michigan Avenue during the St. Pat's parade? What is it with these people? Is their craving for fame such that they'll abase themselves for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 PM

468 posts, read 1,633,674 times
I'm sorry, what the heck do you mean by 'cotton picking things'?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I'm sorry, what the heck do you mean by 'cotton picking things'?
Referring to the signs, duh. What, you never watched any Bugs Bunny growing up?

Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,170,301 times
Some are clever. Others such as "Marry me(fill in the blank)" I think are just a desperate cry for attention.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:15 PM

521 posts, read 1,623,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Some are clever. Others such as "Marry me(fill in the blank)" I think are just a desperate cry for attention.
i agree. someme are just a desperate cry for attention and pathetic. "look at me, i got on television." what losers
but some are clever.
you cant tell me that Barry Bonds didnt notice all those steroid signs out there. maybe not all of them. some of those were brilliant and deserve the attention they received. and yet, they showed the publics outrage with the steroid situation.
i remember a buddy of mine held up a sign during a football game once. we went to the University of Utah and during a game versus Utah State University he held a sign saying, "USU is for UofU dropouts." it was brilliant and pissed many people off.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,629,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Referring to the signs, duh. What, you never watched any Bugs Bunny growing up?
I've got say I was quite surprised that you used it in the same sentence as referring to folks from the Dominican Republic. Not intentional I'm sure but it made me giggle. I'm not a bad person, I swear!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,170,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
i agree. someme are just a desperate cry for attention and pathetic. "look at me, i got on television." what losers
but some are clever.
you cant tell me that Barry Bonds didnt notice all those steroid signs out there. maybe not all of them. some of those were brilliant and deserve the attention they received. and yet, they showed the publics outrage with the steroid situation.
i remember a buddy of mine held up a sign during a football game once. we went to the University of Utah and during a game versus Utah State University he held a sign saying, "USU is for UofU dropouts." it was brilliant and pissed many people off.
That reminds me of my Duke friend who tells his brother, a UNC student, that "UNC is for those who couldnt get into Duke''. Those i get a good laugh out of.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
I've got say I was quite surprised that you used it in the same sentence as referring to folks from the Dominican Republic. Not intentional I'm sure but it made me giggle. I'm not a bad person, I swear!
Oh, whoops. Inadvertent to say the least. I say 'cotton-picking' for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports