Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:18 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Well atleast the MJ talk will be over by Memorial Day
Then we can switch to 6 weeks of Muhammad Ali adoration. Someone once told me he was the GOAT and such a warm, sensitive, caring, and humble personality. A person who carried himself as a role model for everyone's children to model their lives after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 09:25 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Then we can switch to 6 weeks of Muhammad Ali adoration. Someone once told me he was the GOAT and such a warm, sensitive, caring, and humble personality. A person who carried himself as a role model for everyone's children to model their lives after.
I think after memorial day it will just be "speculation talk" about when the NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL will return. That will go on until July 15th which is the next date for NFL players under the franchise tag to sign a multi-year deal.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:10 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Well atleast the MJ talk will be over by Memorial Day
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It may not dominate the headlines like now but it won't go away completely. All it takes is for a former player or even some rapper to say "LeBron>Jordan" on Twitter or elsewhere and the floodgates open.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It may not dominate the headlines like now but it won't go away completely. All it takes is for a former player or even some rapper to say "LeBron>Jordan" on Twitter or elsewhere and the floodgates open.
It seems like Instagram videos is keeping the TV talk shows with something to talk about. The sports station in my area today was talking about TV sitcom theme songs

Old 05-27-2020, 03:57 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Or, former Bulls like Grant and Pippen saying they didnt like how they were portrayed in the Last Dance...

Old 05-27-2020, 04:09 PM

well this will be a sports talk topic tomorrow

Baseball players not wanting to take a pay cut

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...t-paid-players

Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Default Lots of Layoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Right now they are talking about the NFL draft. After the NFL draft, if sports don't start back up, they will likely be furloughed and there will likely be previously recorded talk shows aired.
As I predicted, nationally, there have been lots of furloughs and layoffs across the sports-talk world:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...nXctDt5PpKEFcc

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...arent-company/

And even just regular TV stations:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/08/...c-environment/

There are only so many reruns and so much you can talk about sports, in its current state.

I predicted that there would be massive layoffs/furloughs in the sports-talk industry months ago.

Even with regular TV, they are not able to shoot "new" episodes, and they will not be able to do so until there is a vaccine (hopefully by later this year/early next year), so come September, you can expect major furloughs/layoffs from regular network tv staff (since networks will not be able to make revenue on "new" episodes, which usually happens in the fall).

Old 08-05-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As I predicted, nationally, there have been lots of furloughs and layoffs across the sports-talk world:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...nXctDt5PpKEFcc

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...arent-company/

And even just regular TV stations:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/08/...c-environment/

There are only so many reruns and so much you can talk about sports, in its current state.

I predicted that there would be massive layoffs/furloughs in the sports-talk industry months ago.

Even with regular TV, they are not able to shoot "new" episodes, and they will not be able to do so until there is a vaccine (hopefully by later this year/early next year), so come September, you can expect major furloughs/layoffs from regular network tv staff (since networks will not be able to make revenue on "new" episodes, which usually happens in the fall).
How is it layoffs when baseball and basketball is back with the NFL coming in 3 weeks?

Old 08-05-2020, 06:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 451,620 times
Quote:
How is it layoffs when baseball and basketball is back with the NFL coming in 3 weeks?
Has very little, if anything to do with team sports being played. This was inevitable a long time ago. The sports talk landscape became over saturated. Cable TV is a dinosaur. Commercial radio isn’t far behind.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Has very little, if anything to do with team sports being played. This was inevitable a long time ago. The sports talk landscape became over saturated. Cable TV is a dinosaur. Commercial radio isn’t far behind.
One thing some sports talk stations do is talk about life in addition to sports. Favorite movie of all time or Favorite food. Maybe those stations with poor ratings have boring hosts and dry topics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports