Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nature-v-nurture-black-v-others
Black women are naturally better athletes 3 60.00%
Black women are more dedicated athletes 0 0%
Other races are naturally better athletes 1 20.00%
Black women are naturally better and more dedicated 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 679 times

Advertisements

I recently had a lively debate with a client who said black women dominate pretty much all sports they enter and it got us thinking and eventually as to why!?
Me (white male) involved as a boxing coach and initially thought she (client) was slightly out, but as debate went on and having knowledge of lots of sports across the board I conceded that black women are actually ridiculously dominant, my knowledge says to me it's more genetic, denser muscle and bones and more fast twitch, higher testosterone etc, even sports with slow twitch the east africans seem to have them beat etc..
Recently theres been a take over in the less obvious sports.. Tennis we know Serena and Venus obviously have destroyed all in last 20 years, but even gymnastics and swimming.. the so few that seem to be entered and yet at moment two completely dominant champions are reigning in Simone Manuel and Biles, then on to combat sports that needs lots of fast twitch/slow twitch and lots more and again its black girls on top, France took over the female judo worlds with I think 5 of the 6 weight classes gold medals all black girls- Clarisse Agbegenou considered p4p best, boxing and Clarissa shields! Then the body building and even pageants were completely taken too, I mean the dominance is unreal!!

So sports that require different skills and strengths are owned by black women... NATURE!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 01:40 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime516 View Post
I recently had a lively debate with a client who said black women dominate pretty much all sports they enter and it got us thinking and eventually as to why!?
Me (white male) involved as a boxing coach and initially thought she (client) was slightly out, but as debate went on and having knowledge of lots of sports across the board I conceded that black women are actually ridiculously dominant, my knowledge says to me it's more genetic, denser muscle and bones and more fast twitch, higher testosterone etc, even sports with slow twitch the east africans seem to have them beat etc..
Recently theres been a take over in the less obvious sports.. Tennis we know Serena and Venus obviously have destroyed all in last 20 years, but even gymnastics and swimming.. the so few that seem to be entered and yet at moment two completely dominant champions are reigning in Simone Manuel and Biles, then on to combat sports that needs lots of fast twitch/slow twitch and lots more and again its black girls on top, France took over the female judo worlds with I think 5 of the 6 weight classes gold medals all black girls- Clarisse Agbegenou considered p4p best, boxing and Clarissa shields! Then the body building and even pageants were completely taken too, I mean the dominance is unreal!!

So sports that require different skills and strengths are owned by black women... NATURE!?
The whole fast twitch is over rated as an indicator. There are all sorts of factors. The Serena issue has more to do with their size - they look like small to medium men competing against smaller woman. Plus the technical aspects of the sport have a huge factor - and they have been playing since they were little girls. There are white woman who have similar size but I haven not seen them in the sport. As far as gymnastics - not sure why this is a big deal - there have been other black female gymnasts before. I think we all agree that they are good athletes so those that stand out will rise to the top no matter who is there - white or black. Again, technical aspects loom large in gymnastics as well. Fast twitch has nothing to do with the varied factors in each of these sports. There are tons of sports where white woman and others dominate with black woman present. Oh yeah and let's not forget the African American woman are more genetically mixed, with European ancestry, than their African sisters who seemingly are not as dominant as African American woman. The social and financial means of the host country has a lot to do with it as well.

Also, no one cared when there where black and white playing together and the white was better for some seasons - it's only when the black have their run of dominance that this is discussed. So we have some dominant black woman now - to chalk this all up to nature is quite short sighted even though nature is the foundation upon which to build good athletes. But that nature is not so distance from white or other races that the nurture is over-ridden. Plenty of white woman have fast twitch fibers and the percentages are not small. The pool of those black woman who have more might be larger but that is not what is causing the success.

And of course financial opportunities play a huge role in this as well where those who stand out physically yet have diminished opportunities will surely rise to the top. I have seen plenty of white players in colleges who choose not to pursue professional sports even though they could have done quite well in them. This is particularly true when the sport is not one of the major money makers but even then I have seen this happen.

I think your 'dominance' and 'owned' comments are exaggerated. It is easy to look at a few decades of a particular person's career and then say the whole group of people dominate and own a sport as if this has been going on for decades without any other factors considered. Take for example the men's 100m - a very specific race where the only ones winning over more than a few decades are black athletes. But this has only been since the mid 80s - when you guessed it PEDs are in full swing. Until then blacks were competing against white sprinters and they were going back and forth as winners. I believe every Olympics since the mid 1920s up until the mid 80s there were 6 black and 6 white champions. Did black genetics become so much better all of sudden. As for the distance races I suggest you avail yourself of the PED controversy in these East African nations. They have tons of PED violators - the highest out there. But the ones who have not used I believe it is again based on body type not slow twitch or even cardio. Their body weight to power ratio is 2-3% higher which adds up over miles. They are tiny power houses - there are white woman this small but not many and certainly none that are as motivated given the better financial opportunities.

Let's not forget the androgen issues with many female athletes as well.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 05-29-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-25-2020, 04:04 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime516 View Post
I recently had a lively deb

There aren't really any "black sports" that I'm aware of.

All of them - even the most popular sport on the planet, "football" - were invented by white men.

Though many blacks have gotten free college degrees and more money than most people will ever earn, thanks to those (in some cases) "old white men" that Western civilization now thinks it's okay to bash because of their race.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 7,792 times
Is it just that the Williams sisters have dominated rather than black women per se?

I think its all a case by case basis - Black women dominate track and baskerball but American womens soccer team has virtually no blacks on it at the past two world cups. Most the best female hockey players are white girls from Canada & Minnesota etc. The best skaters are white girls from Russia and some Asians from Cali like Alyssa Lui, Kwan, Yamaguchi. Best womens rugby team is New Zealand and I think they have 0 blacks. Ditto in cricket where best team is Australia. As far as I know up till recently there was no black female pro cyclist.

Blacks do very good in certain pursuits but not so good in others which is probably to be expected.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Park resident View Post
American womens soccer team has virtually no blacks on it at the past two world cups. .

To that point, the two greatest Footballers on the planet are two white men (Messi and Ronaldo). That is the most popular sport on the planet as well, and a sport that any poor black on the planet can hone their skills.

Moreover, arguably the greatest heavyweight champion of the late 20th and early 21st Century was Wladimir Klitschko, Joe Calzhaghe went UNDEFEATED in 46 bouts, and Lomachenko is ranked by many as the greatest pound-for-pound fighter on planet earth today.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
To that point, the two greatest Footballers on the planet are two white men (Messi and Ronaldo). That is the most popular sport on the planet as well, and a sport that any poor black on the planet can hone their skills.
Great point, this is a sport that everyone has access and opportunity to.

Whites specialize in two domains that other races do no do too well at:

a) winter (snow and ice sports) such as hockey, skating and skiing and
b) water sports such as rowing, swimming, surfing and sailing etc.

Then you can factor in sports like cycling and climbing (which is gonna be in the Olympics for the first time just as soon as the Tokyo olympics is held) where whites normally perform better than other races.

These sports are actually practical and useful, being able to swim, climb, sail, ski, skate etc are good skills to learn versus "games" that are of no real use. Being able to catch a baseball or dunk a basketball or throw a football is not really a useful skill that can be applied to other domains in life beyond the fact that it is a demonstration of co-ordination and athleticism in and of itself.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Great point, this is a sport that everyone has access and opportunity to.

Whites specialize in two domains that other races do no do too well at:

a) winter (snow and ice sports) such as hockey, skating and skiing and
b) water sports such as rowing, swimming, surfing and sailing etc.

Then you can factor in sports like cycling and climbing (which is gonna be in the Olympics for the first time just as soon as the Tokyo olympics is held) where whites normally perform better than other races.

These sports are actually practical and useful, being able to swim, climb, sail, ski, skate etc are good skills to learn versus "games" that are of no real use. Being able to catch a baseball or dunk a basketball or throw a football is not really a useful skill that can be applied to other domains in life beyond the fact that it is a demonstration of co-ordination and athleticism in and of itself.
Non-whites can do great in winter sports though. PK Subban, Paul Kariya, Jerome Iginla, for example. (granted two of those guys are half white).

The common retort is: if blacks are given oppurtunity to play a sport - any sport - they will excel at it. Hockey isn't played by many blacks.

So we will see how they do down the road as many more start playing these sports.

Swimming...that could be a genetic argument, as well, however. Body shape conducive to elite performance in swimming, for example, could be a major factor in that. I recall a segment they did on Michael Phelps' body shape as to why he is one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

The common retort is: if blacks are given oppurtunity to play a sport - any sport - they will excel at it.

Theres too many exceptions for this to be a rule - golf - Tiger was/is great but apart from him???

Swimming, cycling those are sports anyone could theoretically get into, at least at entry level and then get sponsorship to help sustain them to the top. Its not like you need a $10,000 specialized bike to do criteriums or cyclocross as a 10 year old kid. A lot of those races are very cheap to enter, if not free.

Soccer - most of the best American male and female players have been white - Friedel, Donovan, Howard, Dempsey, Pulisic.

Tennis - as aforementioned the Williams sisters dominate but on the mens side cant think of many American tennis players that have torn it up since Roddick.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Theres too many exceptions for this to be a rule - golf - Tiger was/is great but apart from him??? .
Common misconception about Tiger. He wasn't black - most of the blood flowing through his veins was Asian.

Heck he doesn't even identify as "black".

Old 08-05-2020, 09:14 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Is it just that the Williams sisters have dominated rather than black women per se?

I think its all a case by case basis - Black women dominate track and baskerball but American womens soccer team has virtually no blacks on it at the past two world cups. Most the best female hockey players are white girls from Canada & Minnesota etc. The best skaters are white girls from Russia and some Asians from Cali like Alyssa Lui, Kwan, Yamaguchi. Best womens rugby team is New Zealand and I think they have 0 blacks. Ditto in cricket where best team is Australia. As far as I know up till recently there was no black female pro cyclist.

Blacks do very good in certain pursuits but not so good in others which is probably to be expected.
And I don't even know that I would really say the "Williams sisters;" I think I would more say Serena. While Venus is a great tennis player, she is not as overly "dominant" as Serena when she plays other opponents. She also doesn't display the raw physical dominance to just completely overpower opponents.

Serena is like Lebron James IMO. They are both so physically dominant that nobody can really stop them.

Interestingly, when it comes to World's Strongest Man/Woman competitions, it is almost all European/American with a few Asians, and you see very little African/African Americans, so athleticism and certain muscles are just one part of the equation. There are other factors at work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports