U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 AM

4,879 posts, read 1,922,675 times

Advertisements

So if the Redskins changed their name to Whiteskins, how do you all think that would go over today? They would be called neo-nazi's right?

Just some food for thought.

You can't win.

My vote for the new Redskins name is Redtails, in honor of the Tuskegee airmen. the logo could be a cartoon P51 Mustang WWII fighter aircraft with a comically big red tail.

For all who never heard of the Tuskegee airmen, they were an all-black fighter pilot unit in WWII flying bomber aircraft. Their planes were distinctive, being aall silver with only a red propeller cone and distinctively solild red tail to offset the rest of the aircraft, as shown below.

https://www.pinterest.com/gustavomk1...men-red-tails/

Redtails is similar to Redskins and would honor African American heroes of World War II.

I met a couple of their wives at an airshow, and I asked them how racism reall was back then. I mean, they were US military pilots, so surely they wouldn't be treated as badly as black civilians.

One of the wives just looked at me and said, "The very minute they were off base it was 'Hey boy! shine my shoes boy!"

That is all she needed to say to remind me that these heroes, a US Army Air Forces Captain, could be so humiliatingly be treated back then. It was a stark lesson for me.

I would do the Redtails logo something like the cartoon below, but less detail and a bigger red tail.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14355292545630469/

I hope it is not against the rules to show sourced pictures like the ones above. I know the Forum rules say not to post pictures unless you own the Copyright. I am assuming I can post pictures that are sourced with a link but if that is not allowed, then I would hope a nice Moderator would let me know, and I will then know not to do that anymore, thank you. I'm not trying to circumvent the rule on Copyrighted photos. I am just trying to learn it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 01:10 AM

4,879 posts, read 1,922,675 times
I was just watching a John Wayne Civil War movie. I am wondering how soon all of those old movies will be banned becase the Confedrate troops are always carrying the Confederate battle flag as they ride along in file. Or will they just use CGI to "erase" the Confederate flag from all of those old John Wayne movies? I wonder.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 AM

8,167 posts, read 8,390,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I was just watching a John Wayne Civil War movie. I am wondering how soon all of those old movies will be banned becase the Confedrate troops are always carrying the Confederate battle flag as they ride along in file. Or will they just use CGI to "erase" the Confederate flag from all of those old John Wayne movies? I wonder.
Just give them time...they already want to rename John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA

Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 AM

3,469 posts, read 1,190,361 times
I find taxes raised to pay for a private sports stadium offensive. Call it what you may.

You have have a private sports organization, YOU negotiate for and pay for the land. No eminent domain. YOU pay from investors pockets to build the stadium. YOU sink or swim on money generated.

If a sports team is funded by taxpayer money, THEY should own and run the team as a non-profit. Or use profits to run damn city. Giving taxpayer money to fund rich buddies' private for profit business doesnt cut it.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:45 AM

7,021 posts, read 8,162,161 times
Quote:
So if the Redskins changed their name to Whiteskins, how do you all think that would go over today? They would be called neo-nazi's right?

You can't win.

My vote for the new Redskins name is Redtails, in honor of the Tuskegee airmen. the logo could be a cartoon P51 Mustang WWII fighter aircraft with a comically big red tail.

For all who never heard of the Tuskegee airmen, they were an all-black fighter pilot unit in WWII flying bomber aircraft. Their planes were distinctive, being aall silver with only a red propeller cone and distinctively solild red tail to offset the rest of the aircraft, as shown below.

Redtails is similar to Redskins and would honor African American heroes of World War II.

I met a couple of their wives at an airshow, and I asked them how racism reall was back then. I mean, they were US military pilots, so surely they wouldn't be treated as badly as black civilians.

One of the wives just looked at me and said, "The very minute they were off base it was 'Hey boy! shine my shoes boy!"

That is all she needed to say to remind me that these heroes, a US Army Air Forces Captain, could be so humiliatingly be treated back then. It was a stark lesson for me.

I would do the Redtails logo something like the cartoon below, but less detail and a bigger red tail.

I hope it is not against the rules to show sourced pictures like the ones above. I know the Forum rules say not to post pictures unless you own the Copyright. I am assuming I can post pictures that are sourced with a link but if that is not allowed, then I would hope a nice Moderator would let me know, and I will then know not to do that anymore, thank you. I'm not trying to circumvent the rule on Copyrighted photos. I am just trying to learn it.
Too much military connection so there will still be an uproar.

Just change the logo from an Indian to a red skinned potato. Even the vegans will approve, and they never go along with anything

Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM

14,887 posts, read 17,908,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I find taxes raised to pay for a private sports stadium offensive. Call it what you may.

You have have a private sports organization, YOU negotiate for and pay for the land. No eminent domain. YOU pay from investors pockets to build the stadium. YOU sink or swim on money generated.

If a sports team is funded by taxpayer money, THEY should own and run the team as a non-profit. Or use profits to run damn city. Giving taxpayer money to fund rich buddies' private for profit business doesnt cut it.
Owners of pro teams always get huge sale prices. Miami Marlins sold for like a billion dollars but they needed money from the city of Miami for a new stadium?

I have a hard time when city coffers are filling the pockets of BILLIONAIRES who then pay the MILLIONAIRE players so they can play a game?

The teams always use the "we will move" argument.........OK.........GO!

If a team is struggling (Marlins/Rays) then leave, head to greener pastures.....oh wait, there aren't any.

Florida has too many teams, too many fans from other places that cheer for their home team. Heck the weather is too good, people end up blowing their afternoon doing outdoor activities. City money won't fix these issues/won't fill the seats.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 AM

22,155 posts, read 29,587,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

This^^^^

Look at the Rams new stadium. It’s grossly over budget and time. The projected cost is SIX BILLION DOLLARS. There is absolutely NO WAY IN SATANS LAIR that the Sofi stadium is gonna bring in enough money to pay for itself. And I guarantee you that some other team is gonna want a more extravagant stadium somewhere else.
I remember when I worked on the project, the properties in a square mile radius literally doubled in price overnight as soon as the project broke ground.

And truthfully stadiums are not the money makers they claim to be. Unless they are used constantly they only make money when they are used. Otherwise they sit witH no revenue. Stadiums are very bad on returns for the investment. Even if someone is a tourist they may go to whatever stadium. They aren’t gonna spend thousands of dollars. They may only be able to see the outside because the public may not be allowed in so they take a pic of the big statue or nameplate a d post it on Facebook on their PeeWeeS big bay adventure so everyone can see they went somewhere.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,895,047 times
I am guessing the entire negro league needs to be erased even the pioneers ?

I certainly don't want anyone to think black people had anything to do with baseball. That would be extremely racist of me.

Also there is a Liga Mexicana. Maybe alert Mexico that someone is unfairly declaring them strictly a Mexican league when they should be ALL inclusive of different nationalities ?

Old 07-06-2020, 11:15 AM

15,164 posts, read 13,356,552 times
Quote:

You can't win.

It’s a violent war machine. War and weapons for war are offensive <sarcasm>

Old 07-06-2020, 11:16 AM

15,164 posts, read 13,356,552 times
Bet this insanity is soon going to strike many university and high school mascots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports