U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 05:41 PM

6,561 posts, read 5,192,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We now know the Redskins name is soon on its way out. How long before they look for another sports team name to be considered offensive?

New Orleans Saints is offensive to atheist and Muslims.
San Francisco 49ers because of what those miners did to the natives and the land
New York Jets offensive because jets pollute
Pittsburgh Steelers because of factory pollution and steel being used for war
Atlanta Braves offensive to natives

What other team names could be next? This is for fun to poke fun at the always offended.
And People are easily offended these days

Once, back in probably the 20th century, I went with a friend to a Cowboys game. being a season ticket holder who loved the Cowboys, my friend always had to buy a Gameday program. One of the articles was about offensive team names. the article was meant to be funny, but brought up how someone somewhere would be offended by something, unintentional or not.

Oddly enough, most people who are most offended by names do not even know the origins of them. I have had many people tell me that the names BROWNS must be offensive to African Americans, not knowing that the team name came form the family that owned and founded the team !

That being said, here are a few I came up with for the NFL JUST FOR FUN

GIANTS (Ny or SF) This term is highly offensive to people who suffer from Acromegaly, Gigantism, or in some cases, Elephantiasis

STEELERS The steel industry is responsible for pollution, strip mining for materials (coal, chromium) and leaves a heavy carbon foot print. This term is offensive to environmentalists.

DOLPHINS Also offensive to environmentalists, because Dolphins often get caught in Fishing nets as a by- product of the fishing industry

BILLS Offensive to people names William, or Ancestors of Buffalo Bill, or Buffaloes, being offensive to Indian I mean NATIVE AMERICANS as a scared animal

VIKINGS
Offensive to people of European heritage, as Vikings were a problem for many in the middle ages
BUCCANEERS not a romanticized version such as in Treasure Island, Pirates were, and still are Criminals. Plain and simple.

CHARGERS Another offensive and irresponsible name, many people in the country have a huge problem with credit card debt and buy things with "charge cards" which they cannot and never will afford.

CARDINALS the nemesis of a gardener, they are aggressive, mean, and while beautiful, not nice to have around.

COWBOYS a slang term for a reckless person who ignores risks. Then again, that could be the owner of the team, and also the third one above.

PACKERS a slang term for something unmentionable

BEARS bears are the only omnivore which will attack and injure a human. people who have been attacked by Bears want no reminder of it.

LIONS (Panthera Leo) are a vulnerable species not native to North america at present time. I find it offensive that a sport so ingrained in American culture such as football and the NFL would choose a mascot which is indigenous to another continent and slight all of the worthy animals of our own Nation.

PANTHERS on the other hand are an Endangered Species I would think that a franchise would want to choose a name of an animal that might be around when they eventually win a Super bowl.

JAGUARS also are not native to the USA. They are not nice either. in a sneaky, attack from behind way. not in a football head on way

BENGALS
just about everything associated with this franchise is reprehensible right now, so never mind

49ers Oh yeah, lets talk more about destroying the land to make a quick buck..........

CHIEFS.....again, native Americans? even though that was NOT the intent of the name

I COULD GO ON, BUT i HAVE WASTED ENOUGH OF MY TIME AND YOUR TIME ALREADY SO ...
THANKS FOR READING
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 07:13 PM

24,207 posts, read 17,086,003 times
Why are racists so eager to show their butts? This thread is just full of foolishness and people who think casually using racial slurs is just fine because people have been doing it for a long time

Old 07-14-2020, 08:05 PM

11,284 posts, read 15,232,402 times
Quote:
We now know the Redskins name is soon on its way out. How long before they look for another sports team name to be considered offensive?

New Orleans Saints is offensive to atheist and Muslims.
San Francisco 49ers because of what those miners did to the natives and the land
New York Jets offensive because jets pollute
Pittsburgh Steelers because of factory pollution and steel being used for war
Atlanta Braves offensive to natives

What other team names could be next? This is for fun to poke fun at the always offended.
If those types of names were offensive then there would have been lobbying against them already.

In reality, the first Native American based sports teams started to be abolished a very long time ago.

To wit...

-Stanford Indians - now Cardinal
-Marquette Warriors - now Golden Eagles
-Syracuse Orangemen - now Orange
-Miami U Redskins - now RedHawks
-St Johns Redmen - St Johns Red Storm

There's many, MANY more. Like too many to list. That's how many.

This is not some little snowflake movement that has just taken off. It's been going on for 50+ years...

Think about it...

The other thing I'll say is that I'm actually a real sports fan. Huge. No real sports fan gives a sh@t if the team is called the Redskins or the Red Onions. Give us half a dozen beers and a 3-game parlay, and once the game starts, it don't matter...

Old 07-14-2020, 08:22 PM

11,284 posts, read 15,232,402 times

Eastern Washington University changed its name from the Savages to the Eagles in 1973 after a vote by the student body ruled that the mascot for the prior 52 years was no longer acceptable.

Keep in mind that 1973 was the year before Blazing Saddles came out...

All In the Family was a hit on TV.

The students who took that vote are elderly now, so again ... not a new movement.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:05 AM

15,156 posts, read 13,344,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Why are racists so eager to show their butts? This thread is just full of foolishness and people who think casually using racial slurs is just fine because people have been doing it for a long time
Really? And what about the next team that’s being targeted, the Texas Rangers? We’re old and experienced enough to know that once this starts they’re going to find something to be offended by to enact another meaningless change.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM

15,156 posts, read 13,344,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Eastern Washington University changed its name from the Savages to the Eagles in 1973 after a vote by the student body ruled that the mascot for the prior 52 years was no longer acceptable.

Keep in mind that 1973 was the year before Blazing Saddles came out...

All In the Family was a hit on TV.

The students who took that vote are elderly now, so again ... not a new movement.
https://www.kcbd.com/2020/06/19/mlbs...rical-figures/

Told you they’re not going to stop.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:15 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,088,952 times
Quote:
https://www.kcbd.com/2020/06/19/mlbs...rical-figures/

Told you they’re not going to stop.
This is getting beyond ridiculous

Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 PM

13,374 posts, read 4,393,364 times
Seattle Seahawks offend... Errol Flynn fans?

Old 07-24-2020, 05:27 AM

13,035 posts, read 9,987,216 times
Tottenham Hotspurs should be dis-banded, I find them offensive!

Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,482,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I'm waiting for some clown to start complaining about the name "Cleveland Browns"....even though they were named after a guy with the last name Brown...who was white...and has nothing to do with the color of someones skin.

But, ya know, America in 2020....
Maybe we should change the name of the Browns...since they haven't won anything in about 60 years...maybe a name change will do us some good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports