Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is chess a sport?
Yes 6 24.00%
No 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 05:05 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I don't consider chess a sport any more than backgammon, go, or monopoly.
But everyone has their opinions.

Some don't think driving a race car is a sport. I get a lot of crap about golf not being a sport either...
Chess is more of a sport than driving! You can't compare chess to backgammon or monopoly. Chess is ALL skill, no luck, and it's mentally grueling if you want to play well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
I agree that it can be mentally exhausting.

But along with the mental exhaustion athletes have to deal with the physical exhaustion.

I ended up in the ER once for dehydration after a tennis tournament. Treatment was iv's then gatorade etc.

Never even came close to an ER room after a chess match. Have had to take a couple of Tylenols and strong coffee for my headache after a long game, and I have played those matches that started at 7 pm and ended around 1 am....
Where I played they put a 3 hour limit on games but that still meant you could play a 3 round tournament of three 3 hour games that stated at 9 am and ended at 8 pm. You have to me in mental shape to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 05:15 PM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
You have to pick up the pieces and move them. That's physical activity. But why does a sport have to involve a physical activity? Why not a mental activity?
My question for you, OP, is what purpose you see in having the word "sport" in the English language. How is it different from "game" or "contest"?

I do not have to include chess in my definition of "sport" in order to find it challenging, entertaining, educational, beautiful, and exciting.

(I will say: the adrenaline rush from a tense chess game actually does elevate my heart rate significantly. But I still don't consider it a sport.)

Old 03-29-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
My question for you, OP, is what purpose you see in having the word "sport" in the English language. How is it different from "game" or "contest"?

I do not have to include chess in my definition of "sport" in order to find it challenging, entertaining, educational, beautiful, and exciting.

(I will say: the adrenaline rush from a tense chess game actually does elevate my heart rate significantly. But I still don't consider it a sport.)
Chess isn't a game. That trivializes it. Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment". Maybe we need a new term for chess - brain sport. Brort?

Old 03-30-2021, 06:20 AM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times
Quote:
Chess isn't a game. That trivializes it. Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment". Maybe we need a new term for chess - brain sport. Brort?
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/amp/english/game
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us.../english/sport
"A game is an activity or sport usually involving skill, knowledge, or chance, in which you follow fixed rules and try to win against an opponent or to solve a puzzle."
"Sports are games such as football and basketball and other competitive leisure activities which need physical effort and skill."

Chess is a game, by any definition of "game" I have ever seen. I do not see what is trivializing about this. It is possible to take a game seriously, and many people do.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM

214 posts, read 260,960 times
It is a board game , period .

Old 03-30-2021, 03:10 PM

Chess is more than a game. It is a test of intellect, willpower and stamina. You don't beat your opponent, you break his will. It's a mental war that proves who is more intelligent and worthy.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:05 PM

500 posts, read 359,596 times
Quote:
Chess is more than a game. It is a test of intellect, willpower and stamina. You don't beat your opponent, you break his will. It's a mental war that proves who is more intelligent and worthy.
Love your passion !

I agree with breaking his/her will ... when that happens it's fun.

I was playing in a pretty decent sized tournament (50 or so in my Section).

Final round (6) and I'm playing for 2nd through 5th place).

Opponent had me on the ropes several times and just couldn't pull the trigger. He needed to attack, attack and then attack some more. He stayed in his shell and I grind back into a win.

He had shoulder slumps and big sighs the last hour or so.

Got me second place and about $600 dollars.

My crowning achievement in chess, so far.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:30 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
If chess is a sport, poker is a sport. There's obviously a luck element to poker but it has all the same attributes that mascoma cited in making his case for chess as a sport.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Love your passion !

I agree with breaking his/her will ... when that happens it's fun.

I was playing in a pretty decent sized tournament (50 or so in my Section).

Final round (6) and I'm playing for 2nd through 5th place).

Opponent had me on the ropes several times and just couldn't pull the trigger. He needed to attack, attack and then attack some more. He stayed in his shell and I grind back into a win.

He had shoulder slumps and big sighs the last hour or so.

Got me second place and about $600 dollars.

My crowning achievement in chess, so far.

I've won tournaments but we never played for more than $50 because things got even more testy when $$ was at stake. I remember one time I was playing a guy and I touched a piece that I would lose if I moved it. But it's touch move and the guy says 'You have to move it - unless you want to resign." So I find a way to get 2 pawns for it. Then I was able to win another pawn and get some strong protected passed pawns. He was under a lot of pressure and probably could have drawn but he choked it. He touched a piece that he couldn't move without dropping a piece. I couldn't resist. I said "you have to move it - unless you want to resign." Dejected, he played on a few moves and then resigned. Sweet revenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
If chess is a sport, poker is a sport. There's obviously a luck element to poker but it has all the same attributes that mascoma cited in making his case for chess as a sport.
Poker has LUCK. No luck in chess. It's all skill and brain power. A real test of manhood.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Chess is more of a sport than driving! You can't compare chess to backgammon or monopoly. Chess is ALL skill, no luck, and it's mentally grueling if you want to play well.

Where I played they put a 3 hour limit on games but that still meant you could play a 3 round tournament of three 3 hour games that stated at 9 am and ended at 8 pm. You have to me in mental shape to do that.
Feel free to explain the bolded. Motorsports is both mentally and physically grueling....

As for no luck - there may be no roll of the dice or things somewhat out of your control. But one can argue that because luck is part of life, it's part of chess.

And yes, I can compare it to monopoly or backgammon...or tiddlywinks. It's all subjective. You certainly can disagree, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports