Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 06:33 PM

3,405 posts, read 1,359,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
It's only money..Mate !!! That's the Australian Way . . . .
All I have to say is that if Leylah would’ve won, it would have been such a emotional experience. The crowd really was on her side and you could really see that Leylah gave it everything she got. I really feel for her loss, but she was such a trooper about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 07:03 PM

14,812 posts, read 11,895,370 times
I'm not much of a tennis fan but Raducanu is from my neck of the woods so I wanted her to win, but what is really impressive is she is the first qualifier male or female to EVER get to a final let alone go on to win it! She won every game (including the qualifying games) without even losing one set and she was up against a partisan crowd who clearly wanted the other girl to win. Even though I don't know much about tennis even I can see how incredible this performance was!

Well done Emma, you're a star!

Old 09-11-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not much of a tennis fan but Raducanu is from my neck of the woods so I wanted her to win, but what is really impressive is she is the first qualifier male or female to EVER get to a final let alone go on to win it! She won every game (including the qualifying games) without even losing one set and she was up against a partisan crowd who clearly wanted the other girl to win. Even though I don't know much about tennis even I can see how incredible this performance was!

Well done Emma, you're a star!
That’s the thing. She even smoked Bencic in the quarterfinals. Mind you, Bencic won the gold medal in the Olympics, so she is a great player. So the fact that Emma defeated her without losing a set is downright impressive! Emma has a skill level that no other tennis player can match. That’s how I knew she was going to win today. I was setting myself up for disappointment by rooting for Leylah but come on, rooting for Emma is taking the easy route!

Old 09-11-2021, 08:00 PM

3,962 posts, read 5,708,769 times
I didn't really mind if either player had won as I think both Fernandez and Raducanu were excellent players who deserved to be in the finals. What I found kind of upsetting was Fernandez' behavior during Raducanu's medical timeout, goading the audience to cheer her on, as well as after the tournament ended when her emotions got the better of her. Given this is Fernandez' first Grand Slam final and the fact she is only 19, I won't be too hard on her but later down the road, she as well as any other player ought to learn that your opponent's medical timeout is not the appropriate time to create a spectacle for yourself, even if it is well meant. It's just poor taste in my opinion and could be viewed the wrong way. In sports, when you lose, you have to lose with grace. Sometimes it is hard to do so but that comes with experience.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I didn't really mind if either player had won as I think both Fernandez and Raducanu were excellent players who deserved to be in the finals. What I found kind of upsetting was Fernandez' behavior during Raducanu's medical timeout, goading the audience to cheer her on, as well as after the tournament ended when her emotions got the better of her. Given this is Fernandez' first Grand Slam final and the fact she is only 19, I won't be too hard on her but later down the road, she as well as any other player ought to learn that your opponent's medical timeout is not the appropriate time to create a spectacle for yourself, even if it is well meant. It's just poor taste in my opinion and could be viewed the wrong way. In sports, when you lose, you have to lose with grace. Sometimes it is hard to do so but that comes with experience.
Yeah what was she so upset about? Emma scraped her knee so she needed medical attention. I don’t get her frustration there!

Funny that you say players should lose with grace. That’s something MANY tennis players ought to learn. It’s constantly where I see tennis players break their rackets in frustration. I mean, is that really necessary??

Old 09-12-2021, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
It's only money..Mate !!! That's the Australian Way . . . .
Ticket only cost $215 for nosebleed seats and I was allowed to sit courtside for the first mixed doubles match, due to the lower number of attendees that attend this match. So that was really cool, though I wasn’t expecting to be allowed to sit courtside so I didn’t bring sunscreen and got a little fried from the sun. But it was worth it!

I was expecting tickets to be a lot more expensive due to this being the final match and on a weekend, but maybe the pandemic and the vaccination requirements might have resulted in lower prices this year.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:34 AM

6,560 posts, read 11,191,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
^ I think that is all. There have been more seasoned veterans that has done worse.

If you watch her press conference, she's pretty poised. It's funny when you put it in perspective, she played on 9/11. But she was born AFTER the events that made that day infamous. Again, someone asked a question about the attacks, and to her, it was only something she's seen on historical footages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Yeah what was she so upset about? Emma scraped her knee so she needed medical attention. I don’t get her frustration there!

Funny that you say players should lose with grace. That’s something MANY tennis players ought to learn. It’s constantly where I see tennis players break their rackets in frustration. I mean, is that really necessary??
I think being caught up in a moment happens to all of us. The big difference is that we don't have millions of people watching us at work.

Sports is physical - and you react physically. Just as weekend warriors will kick a ball, throw a racquet or golf club, etc. It happens. Again, just because you're in front of millions doesn't make it less frustrating (maybe even more since this is your livelihood).

Old 09-13-2021, 03:30 PM

The funny thing about Emma is that she doesn't have the power that many other pro tennis players have. You want power from a female tennis player, watch Osaka!! Emma is living proof that power, while good to have, is not the key to getting you far in tennis. What makes Emma so good is her technique and speed on the court! It's near perfect in every way!

Old 10-08-2021, 03:37 PM

Well, it's been almost a month since I went to the US Open and it doesn't look like I caught Covid. So to answer my own question, it is safe to attend the US Open!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports