U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,378 posts, read 70,649,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So you are saying there is a push to make the NBA and NFL more white?
This is one of the more obvious cases where "equity" is great when it suits certain people. You will never see the NFL stop drafting blacks in order to have more Asian or Native American players.

The MLB is lamenting the recent reduction in Black baseball players, while the Hispanics are greatly increased. There are a handful of Asians in the NBA playing basketball, but there is really no professional sport with demographics that are close to representative of their city, other than a few of the basketball teams in cities with many Blacks, such as the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 02:34 PM

1,237 posts, read 359,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So you are saying there is a push to make the NBA and NFL more white?
Who said anything about making any team more white? The question was should sports teams match the diversity of the community they serve.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:21 AM

4,485 posts, read 2,833,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Who said anything about making any team more white? The question was should sports teams match the diversity of the community they serve.
To answer your question; NO. Sports should always be made up of the most competitive individuals regardless of race, religion and sexual orientation.
That being said there is also nothing wrong with various sports reaching out to communities that are less represented in their sport. For example the NHL and MLB have plenty of resources reaching out to inner city youth to get involved in their sport.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:39 AM

1,237 posts, read 359,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
To answer your question; NO. Sports should always be made up of the most competitive individuals regardless of race, religion and sexual orientation.
And I believe this should be the way we hire employees, promote employees and choose who gets enrolled in what schools.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
And I believe this should be the way we hire employees, promote employees and choose who gets enrolled in what schools.
Agree

Old 12-03-2021, 02:02 PM

103 posts, read 22,088 times
tthis is why american sports such especialy football. there is a reason blacks are not best in soccer hockey f1 team handball tennis because it is not american based sport where equal or better white latino or any other player has to be put aside so we can propp and uplifht blacks as best athletes and players. maybe in usa like they are trying to promote black in hockey soccer or tennis but these sports are international so there is people around the world who are not put down and draged their development just so american media can show how black is best athlete and player

Old 12-06-2021, 04:04 PM

14,710 posts, read 11,927,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzedmraz View Post
tthis is why american sports such especialy football. there is a reason blacks are not best in soccer hockey f1 team handball tennis because it is not american based sport where equal or better white latino or any other player has to be put aside so we can propp and uplifht blacks as best athletes and players. maybe in usa like they are trying to promote black in hockey soccer or tennis but these sports are international so there is people around the world who are not put down and draged their development just so american media can show how black is best athlete and player
My son is in club soccer here in FL... Top league in his age group. Registration costs $2500. Tournaments are an extra, roughly, $100 each. Add in travel costs, etc., and it's a good $5000+/year. It's EXPENSIVE, and it's why, in the US, it is a heavily white-denominated sport. Which is ridiculous. Meanwhile, kids in poor parts of Brazil, Somalia, Liberia, etc., are thriving in the sport, with little to no money growing up. And we wonder why our system isn't working.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
My son is in club soccer here in FL... Top league in his age group. Registration costs $2500. Tournaments are an extra, roughly, $100 each. Add in travel costs, etc., and it's a good $5000+/year. It's EXPENSIVE, and it's why, in the US, it is a heavily white-denominated sport. Which is ridiculous. Meanwhile, kids in poor parts of Brazil, Somalia, Liberia, etc., are thriving in the sport, with little to no money growing up. And we wonder why our system isn't working.
No different then travel Baseball here in the US. In fact Baseball like Soccer, club travel ball is becoming more relevant then HS ball as far as getting into good college programs. College coaches are more interested in what tournaments a kids team participated in rather then where they played HS. Many travel orgs the coaches get compensated out of those steep registration fees.
Then you got Ice Hockey which is a very expensive sport for other reasons.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:22 AM

5,945 posts, read 9,990,464 times
Quote:
With this country being turned upside down and pulled in many directions should we now equal the playing field of sports to match the demographics of the town or state that sports team represents? If we must do it for job, education and other things why not sports?
Affirmative action is applied to help those that are historically discriminated against. I guess for your POV to be valid, are you saying athletes are discriminated against based on race (and I'm not saying I support affirmative action)?

The bolded part raises an eyebrow. I don't think it's valid to say you have to apply X here because you applied X there. I mean, I can say - how about we apply it to people going into a restaurant? The customer base has to look like the community they serve... makes little sense.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:26 PM

5,945 posts, read 9,990,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 99 View Post
I'm fine with your pov...as long as you are also wiling to admit that diversity isn't necessarily a "strength". The Gold-winning men's Olympic team (actually the last majority of them tbh) kind of shatter that motto.
I don't believe I said it was.
In fact, I think you and I are in agreement.

My point is that affirmative action was seen as necessary in education and general hiring practices because there was discrimination. I don't think that is the case in sports today - at least not at the highest level. So I don't think there needs to be a push there.

There is also a difference between exposing skills/opportunities to a more diverse population vs. just applying reverse discrimination to combat discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports