U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 PM

5,961 posts, read 9,995,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 99 View Post
You're free to have those views all you want. You're just not free to have those views and also exlaim that "diversity is our strength".

If the USA men's basketball team is the greatest on the planet, and there is zero diversity on Saud team, then clearly they prove it isn't necessarily a strength.
Um... okay. Again - where did I say that diversity = strength?

That said - anyone is free to have any views.... but nobody else needs to agree with them...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 08:17 PM

103 posts, read 22,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
My son is in club soccer here in FL... Top league in his age group. Registration costs $2500. Tournaments are an extra, roughly, $100 each. Add in travel costs, etc., and it's a good $5000+/year. It's EXPENSIVE, and it's why, in the US, it is a heavily white-denominated sport. Which is ridiculous. Meanwhile, kids in poor parts of Brazil, Somalia, Liberia, etc., are thriving in the sport, with little to no money growing up. And we wonder why our system isn't working.
i am saying there is more better european s american asian players then black if you give them a chance and that is why soccer tennis team handball is dominated by everybody but black because it is not american based sport where it needs to have black on expense of somebody else. blacks are not best even in american sports but media and blattant push that only these players and this race can play this position so no other race need apply

Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 PM

7,113 posts, read 9,141,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
With this country being turned upside down and pulled in many directions should we now equal the playing field of sports to match the demographics of the town or state that sports team represents? If we must do it for job, education and other things why not sports?
Yes, I think so. If a certain insane segment wants our physicians, airline pilots, surgeons, engineers, etc. on the quota system, then EVERYTHING should be on quotas. Including professional sports teams. College sports teams.

We see how rational this is. Life isn't fair. Talent is not distributed evenly. Outcomes are and will always be different depending on the individual, their inherent talent and their work ethic.

This probably belongs in the politics section.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:42 AM

14,718 posts, read 11,946,524 times
Quote:
Similarly, Dustin Byfuglien came from single parent home (dad disappeared, I wonder why) and made it to the top of the hockey world (his name is now etched on the Cup), and hockey is not cheap by a long shot.

Like I said, if you have talent, there will be opportunities for you if you want them.
His mother did marry a pro hockey player though. I’d be willing to bet he was not poor.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:27 AM

14,718 posts, read 11,946,524 times
Quote:
Byfuglien? His dad, as far as I know, played D2 football for SCSU. Not sure where you got that his dad played pro hockey (unless I'm missing something).
Step dad. The man he grew up with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Smedsmo

Old 01-31-2022, 08:41 AM

28 posts, read 12,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not only or necessarily want to play, but most black people live in the South, where Hockey just isn’t a part of the culture athletically in most of the region. Economics my also play a part in the lower number of black Hockey players. So, I say all of that to say that other factors like geography and economics, among other things likely come into play in terms of the demographics of certain sports.

On a side note, the HS Hockey Player of the Year by the newspaper in Rochester NY was a black kid from a suburb east of the city. An article about the kid and his family, including having a father that played hockey at another suburban HS in that area and in college. https://www.reclaimingthenarrative.o...nce-on-the-ice
The ironic thing is if you crunch the numbers blacks are actually over represented. The NHL is fundamentally popular in white countries/rural areas of countries that are whiter. I.e. Upstate Michigan-Minnesota etc.

Players are more commonly children of players(either professional or just people who were really good amateurs).

When you crunch the numbers there's a surprising number of black players, and what is more surprising is that many are among the highest paid.

Look at the Edmonton Oilers, two best players in the league McDraisaitl, and their top defenseman is Nurse and their top winger is Evander Kane.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:49 AM

28 posts, read 12,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
His mother did marry a pro hockey player though. I’d be willing to bet he was not poor.
He from what I understand was a fringe NHLer in the 80s, if he retired with 100k to his name I'd be shocked.

The majority of people drafting into the NHL make very little money.

900k a year sounds like a lot, but if you only get 200 games on the 4th line that money burns up fast.

Taxes are brutal when you're career earning occur in 2.5 tax years, you have to give money back to your parents, as they've likely spent a 100 grand getting you into the league.

Add to that you make very little in your junior years or when playing in the minor leagues.

A typical NHL career is something like get drafted 75th overall. Play junior hockey until you're 19. Go to the minor leagues to develop, play a handful of games when you're 22, play 50 games a year ages 22-25 and end up dropping down to the minors from ages 25-30, before you realize you're too old and should just move on to something else.

At that point you're knees/shoulders are shot, you have almost no education, and you might have enough money to buy a home, without the money to heat it.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:32 PM

5,268 posts, read 3,877,187 times
The reason affirmative action doesn’t make sense in sports is because is because sports is for the most part very objective, you either beat everyone or you don’t. It’s hard to discriminate against someone who is POC. It wouldn’t make sense to pick a less athletic person just because they are of a particular race. That being said why affirmative action applies to jobs and education, is because the hiring process is a lot more objective and employers have their own biases, especially several decades ago when segregation ended. Furthermore it was designed to get POC to generate more wealth to close of the racial wealth gap in hopes that the racial tensions would disappear once whites and blacks are equally rich and educated. The only way it would make sense in sports if couches were required to take on a certain demographic cohort, and then from there pick out the best.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:26 AM

609 posts, read 271,632 times
This is an odd question. As a sports fan, I don't give a hoot on the race or gender of my team, as long as they win.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:14 AM

434 posts, read 221,156 times
If you want whites to be included in sports NO ONE WOULD WATCH NFL BASKETBALL MLB TRACK AND FIELD MAYBE SOCCER ESPECIALLY SINCE EUROPE IS SO RACIST TO AFRICANS KICKING THEIR ARSES. Difference in sports is i can CLEARLY SEE WHOS THE BETTER PLAYER its rare you can do that in corporate where peoples sons and daughters can rise to the top without knowing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports