U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 09:32 AM

14,348 posts, read 8,615,690 times

Advertisements

I have no idea how you have concluded that one Stanley Cup is equal to 3 rings in other sports. That makes zero sense to me, a ring is a ring is a ring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 10:48 AM

14,718 posts, read 11,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea how you have concluded that one Stanley Cup is equal to 3 rings in other sports. That makes zero sense to me, a ring is a ring is a ring.
Well, it IS 3x bigger... Maybe that's what he meant? lol

Old 01-31-2022, 08:31 AM

28 posts, read 12,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't agree, but please explain your "logical sense". Why do you believe a Stanley Cup should be weighted over other championships?
Because there's so much more balance/competition in the league.

Two of the best players in the world play for the Edmonton Oilers and they are struggling to make the playoffs.

Can't imagine that is common in many other sports. Could you imagine if Michael Jordan was only making the playoffs once a decade? That's hockey in the current era. Pre salary cap it wasn't near as hard.But with a cap structure building up a strong team is brutal.

The Tampa Bay lighting just won back to back cups, but in the year before that they were swept in the first round of the playoffs.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 7,127,369 times
It's more like 1 Super Bowl ring = 10 Stanley Cup rings.

About 2.5 million watch the Stanley Cup finals. Last Sunday's Ohio State vs. Purdue regular college basketball game had almost that many viewers.

Hockey has an avid but comparatively small fan base.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:10 AM

4,428 posts, read 2,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
In my opinion when considering the legacy of hockey players I use a Stanley Cup to equal 3 Super Bowl and NBA rings when judging players all-time since it makes the most logical sense when doing my all-time athlete ratings. So 1 Cup is like 3 rings in the NFL/NBA. 3 is like 9, and 4 is like 12. And I like doing that. It makes the most sense to me.
So you think Mark Messier's six Stanley Cup rings are like winning 18 Super Bowl rings?

No.

Just no.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:53 AM

5,789 posts, read 2,523,847 times
A championship is a championship. A Stanley Cup might be more difficult to win because of the number of playoff games and the intensity of the sport, but teams still win them one at a time.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:39 AM

2,682 posts, read 1,739,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Except that a number of pretty mediocre quarterbacks have Super Bowl rings. Jim McMahon with the Ken Singletary defense..a game manager QB who doesn't turn the ball over.. a pretty mediocre Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl in 2012..
These kind of answers are always subjective, so I respect your take. But I'll mention that Flacco had one of the greatest quarterback post seasons of all-time in 2012. Over 1100 yards, 11 TDs, and no picks. My opinion, it's the greatest QB playoff run in NFL history..

And incidentally, who was Ken Singletary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports