U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2022, 03:43 PM
 
Location: AZ
17 posts, read 12,139 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hi all, golf newbs here! Not sure if this is going in the best spot for this post as I couldn't find a golf subforum.

So, we're just starting golf, we're new empty nesters and feel this is a great activity to embark upon. Quite pricey for sure, but we'll stay at the beginner level or maybe on the practice range for quite some time.
I'm confused on what we really need to get started. The course we'll be at is very casual (no special dress code aka collars not required).

A long time ago we'd go to the Michael Jordan Driving Range and had a blast. That was when we were young and a bucket of balls and a beer was a treat of a night out. We went all the time, we bought each of us a driver and a glove. I can't remember why I used a glove (not that I was a pro) but I think I was getting callouses on my hand? Who knows, it was a long time ago.

Now I think we need a sport that involves some muscle both body and mind including having a purpose other than work. It also looks like it would be a fun Saturday activity.

Anyway, I sat and observed a little to get a feel for the general vibe at the course. The pro shop people were casual and friendly. We hike, do very mild trailrunning and cycling, occasional tennis so the clothes I have are from those sports. BUT most of the ladies had on a golf skirt or men's style shorts (I'm assuming these are golf shorts?). Of note, we're in the Phoenix area so it gets HOT. I have tennis tank tops (sleeveless), typical Nike running shorts and running leggings. I feel I need to get new clothes for this sport because I do not think these will fly whatsoever on the course even though it's very casual.

The other question is shoes. I have a variety of Hoka running and trail running shoes and a pair of Cloud running shoes. Since it was mostly men, it seemed they wore golf shoes with little tiny rubber nubs on the bottom but not very high. The women were hard to tell because there were so few and they weren't very close up, it looked like they had regular running type shoes.

And ladies... do you wear a sports bra? I saw on a blog they said it's a must, but really?? I'm trying to think about this one, there's no running after a ball, there's nothing I don't think I would be physically doing that would require support? Hmm, maybe I'm missing something, if I am, I'm all ears.

Then which accessories do we need? Golf bag? What kind of bags are the best and what do you recommend for women? What are the best brands in clubs? HELP!!

Okay, so this is a post loaded with questions. I appreciate anyone's time in helping us sort through so we can show up at the course and not look too badly like goofballs we're going to feel like. We don't want to make anyone gasp, LOL!!

Last edited by nic1212; 02-22-2022 at 04:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2022, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Arizona
7,308 posts, read 7,249,005 times
Reputation: 23823
Most courses require a bag of clubs for each golfer. Being in the Phoenix area you will be able to get a bag and good clubs cheap if you don't mind used. Look on Craigslist or Nextdoor. If you live near a golf community, go to the course and look at the bulletin board. Don't skimp on shoes. I prefer Skechers. They sell golf shoes at their stores. Buy good balls, not great but good. Low end Titleist are fine. Don't forget the tees!

Always use a glove. Footjoy has a decently priced 2 pack. I don't know a thing about women's clothes so I can't help you there.

For clubs stay with a name brand. I only use Callaway clubs and use a Callaway bag.

Have fun and good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2022, 04:35 PM
 
Location: AZ
17 posts, read 12,139 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most courses require a bag of clubs for each golfer. Being in the Phoenix area you will be able to get a bag and good clubs cheap if you don't mind used. Look on Craigslist or Nextdoor. If you live near a golf community, go to the course and look at the bulletin board. Don't skimp on shoes. I prefer Skechers. They sell golf shoes at their stores. Buy good balls, not great but good. Low end Titleist are fine. Don't forget the tees!

Always use a glove. Footjoy has a decently priced 2 pack. I don't know a thing about women's clothes so I can't help you there.

For clubs stay with a name brand. I only use Callaway clubs and use a Callaway bag.

Have fun and good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions!! Looking to get new equipment and will definitely look into the brands you mentioned. The tees!!! Now that's something I would have forgotten.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2022, 09:05 AM
 
Location: The DMV
5,945 posts, read 9,990,464 times
Reputation: 7404
Find a meetup group for golf or sign up for lessons at a course or range.

Since you're in the Phoneix area - there should be plenty of courses you can visit and use the range.

Unless it's a very casual course (executive or par 3 only) - you probably want to avoid actually going onto the course until you have some comfort level with the sport.

Just stepping on a course without really having played will not only be frustrating for you, but also those playing behind you. Pace of play is, by far, the #1 issue with golf. That ball is just sitting there on the tee/grass... but making a solid hit on that stationary ball with a club head is harder than you'd think.

Taking a lesson will allow you to understand the different clubs in your bag, golf etiquette (there are a LOT of these) and also start learning the swing mechanics without developing bad habits.

As for equipment - it really depends on what you want. These days, there are so may options with regards to new and used equipment. Club can can also be very customized/fitted. Some will say to get better before you get fitted.... but some will say get fitted for a used set so you're not using a ill-fitted set that will affect your ability to learn the sport.

Look for places like Second-swing. Where you can get good help and potentially good deals on used sets. Again, in Phoenix, I'm sure there are plenty of places you can visit. The key is finding someone that you feel comfortable with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2022, 01:45 PM
 
Location: AZ
17 posts, read 12,139 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Find a meetup group for golf or sign up for lessons at a course or range.

Since you're in the Phoneix area - there should be plenty of courses you can visit and use the range.

Unless it's a very casual course (executive or par 3 only) - you probably want to avoid actually going onto the course until you have some comfort level with the sport.

Just stepping on a course without really having played will not only be frustrating for you, but also those playing behind you. Pace of play is, by far, the #1 issue with golf. That ball is just sitting there on the tee/grass... but making a solid hit on that stationary ball with a club head is harder than you'd think.

Taking a lesson will allow you to understand the different clubs in your bag, golf etiquette (there are a LOT of these) and also start learning the swing mechanics without developing bad habits.

As for equipment - it really depends on what you want. These days, there are so may options with regards to new and used equipment. Club can can also be very customized/fitted. Some will say to get better before you get fitted.... but some will say get fitted for a used set so you're not using a ill-fitted set that will affect your ability to learn the sport.

Look for places like Second-swing. Where you can get good help and potentially good deals on used sets. Again, in Phoenix, I'm sure there are plenty of places you can visit. The key is finding someone that you feel comfortable with.
You are correct, after we master the range, we'll be signing up for lessons. Meanwhile, we're learning golf etiquette, golf terms, rules and scoring. Who knows, we might never make it off the range and that's okay with us too. It gets us out, we get fresh air, an activity together, learn some new skills and have a few laughs along the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2022, 03:33 PM
 
Location: The DMV
5,945 posts, read 9,990,464 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic1212 View Post
You are correct, after we master the range, we'll be signing up for lessons. Meanwhile, we're learning golf etiquette, golf terms, rules and scoring. Who knows, we might never make it off the range and that's okay with us too. It gets us out, we get fresh air, an activity together, learn some new skills and have a few laughs along the way.
I'd be upset if you don't take advantage of the Phoenix weather and make it off the range...

Seriously though - yea, the range is more relaxed and great place to work on your game. Albeit I wouldn't wait to "graduate" from the range to lessons. Lessons/Range should be done at the same time - IMO. Especially for new golfers. As with a lot of sports, there are a lot of muscle memory involved. And it's really easy to get the mechanics incorrect. If you wait to take lessons, you may develop some bad habits and end up having your swing broken down first (so time/money down the drain). Just my .02 though.

Hopefully you'll find it as much of an obsession as I have for the last 25+ years.

And yea - Phoenix/Scottsdale... such a great place to learn too. Used to go there every year for our annual golf trip. Boulders, We-ko-Pa, Troon and Greyhawk were our staples. With Desert mountain, TPC, Kierland, Whirlwind and a few others on rotation.

Albeit my favorite course was a muni on the southside of the city - Thunderbird? They unfortunately folded after some bad water issues (people got sick. I think one even died). This was like 20 years ago though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2022, 04:22 PM
 
Location: AZ
17 posts, read 12,139 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I'd be upset if you don't take advantage of the Phoenix weather and make it off the range...

Seriously though - yea, the range is more relaxed and great place to work on your game. Albeit I wouldn't wait to "graduate" from the range to lessons. Lessons/Range should be done at the same time - IMO. Especially for new golfers. As with a lot of sports, there are a lot of muscle memory involved. And it's really easy to get the mechanics incorrect. If you wait to take lessons, you may develop some bad habits and end up having your swing broken down first (so time/money down the drain). Just my .02 though.

Hopefully you'll find it as much of an obsession as I have for the last 25+ years.

And yea - Phoenix/Scottsdale... such a great place to learn too. Used to go there every year for our annual golf trip. Boulders, We-ko-Pa, Troon and Greyhawk were our staples. With Desert mountain, TPC, Kierland, Whirlwind and a few others on rotation.

Albeit my favorite course was a muni on the southside of the city - Thunderbird? They unfortunately folded after some bad water issues (people got sick. I think one even died). This was like 20 years ago though.
Hehe!! So true, we'll have to eventually get off the range! You make an excellent point, lessons/range at the same time sounds like a better way to plan this out. I appreciate that tip, just learning the grip the right way will be a very important first step. I used to ski and was an instructor in my youth, my mom would go out skiing but never made it off the bunny hill. In fact, she got so good at perfecting her bad habits it became an art. First, she would let everyone get on the tow rope before her because she was too nervous. Once she got on, she would somehow get off at the middle of the hill and snowplow her way down to once again stand at the tow rope and let everyone on. My dad once noticed her while we were on the chairlift and said what the bleep is that woman doing? Then he realized it was my mom. Back in the lodge, she told my dad that she was a really good skier, emphasizing she never fell. So, I'm sure like golf, easy to create bad habits. As I wrote that, I thought of my plan if I got on the actual course. If I was playing too slow, I would just pick up my ball and go to the next hole so as not to cause a delay for any other players. Well, then I would be my mom on the bunny hill wouldn't I? UGH.

Honestly I almost fell over when I saw how expensive golf memberships are! Our sons ex-girlfriends Dad was a pro golfer/caddy/instructor or something like that. Darn it if we weren't into golf when they were dating, LOL!

I think I can clearly see why people love golf like you do. You sound like a pro to me and you've golfed some fantastic courses around here. You're right, we absolutely have to take advantage of our weather here in PHX.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2022, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Southeast US
1,456 posts, read 4,925,726 times
Reputation: 985
I wear running skirts with a polo. See a lot of the same on the courses. Lululemon is a great choice that will last for a long time. I have a couple black skirts that I rotate all season. I always wear sports bras, as underwire is uncomfortable to me in a golf swing. I’ve found golf shoes on Zappos. New Balance has affordable choices.


Invest in a quality driver, hybrid and putter. Ensure you buy a ladies hybrid and driver. Callaway sells lady irons separately online. Invest in a 7 and a 9 build out the better you get at the game. Costco has a Kirkland branded pitching set that is well worth it. I got a nice bag and golf balls from there too (online.). Avoid those cheap ladies beginner golf bag sets. I found them to be too lightweight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2022, 06:53 PM
 
Location: AZ
17 posts, read 12,139 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I wear running skirts with a polo. See a lot of the same on the courses. Lululemon is a great choice that will last for a long time. I have a couple black skirts that I rotate all season. I always wear sports bras, as underwire is uncomfortable to me in a golf swing. I’ve found golf shoes on Zappos. New Balance has affordable choices.


Invest in a quality driver, hybrid and putter. Ensure you buy a ladies hybrid and driver. Callaway sells lady irons separately online. Invest in a 7 and a 9 build out the better you get at the game. Costco has a Kirkland branded pitching set that is well worth it. I got a nice bag and golf balls from there too (online.). Avoid those cheap ladies beginner golf bag sets. I found them to be too lightweight.

Great tips, thank you for that advice! I was just reading an article today about hybrids. I have a couple tennis skirts so that could work too.

Quick question on your bag? Do you have one that you carry and do you carry it around the course or do you solely use a golfcart?

Which leads me to another question. Do women carry their bags around the course ever? Or is this a lady faux pas? I'm a long way off from getting on the actual course but I think I'd like to walk with my bag just from a fitness perspective. We'll see how that goes seeing that summer is just around the corner and when the temps get to 115-120, it'll be enough to just get from the parking lot to the building.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2022, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts & Hilton Head, SC
8,959 posts, read 13,956,538 times
Reputation: 7294
If you aren't using a cart, most people use one of these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EleaElean...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

They come in all different price ranges.

Go to a shop that sells used equipment. You'll be able to try the clubs out. What works for someone else may not work for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top