U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 12:26 PM

363 posts, read 1,045,435 times

Advertisements

In little league the age cutoff is Aug 31. My son is 6 this year - turns 7 on Aug 20 about a week before the cutoff . So he’s right on the cusp . He played last year in tball and missed the 4 year old year due to COVID . I’m looking for advice on where he should play. Tball is usually 4-6 but due to his birthday they recommend he goes up to machine pitch. I’m torn because I’m not so sure he’s ready yet. Machine pitch is 6-8. As I stated due to his birthday he’s always going to be right on the cusp and this decision will always be tough.

if He does teeball this year he’ll only get 1 year in machine pitch.

Anyone ever face something similar? Just curious what thoughts are. I think machine pitch would be best for his development but inside I think he needs another year of tee ball. Mainly for the maturity and mental side of the game . I just don’t think he’s ready for the structure of a 6 inning game. If only he was born about 10 days later!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 02:34 PM

5,945 posts, read 9,990,464 times
You may want to talk to others that actually know your son?
No one on here knows your son. And this is such a personal decision...

On a blind forum here, you'll likely get other's experiences - "I held my son back and it was the greatest thing" or "I pushed them up and I'm glad I did" or vice versa. But the bottom line is that they weren't YOUR son.

But honestly - I'd go where most of his friends are going. At this age, it's more about having fun and being with friends. But...just my .02.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:17 AM

4,264 posts, read 5,936,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You may want to talk to others that actually know your son?
No one on here knows your son. And this is such a personal decision...

On a blind forum here, you'll likely get other's experiences - "I held my son back and it was the greatest thing" or "I pushed them up and I'm glad I did" or vice versa. But the bottom line is that they weren't YOUR son.

But honestly - I'd go where most of his friends are going. At this age, it's more about having fun and being with friends. But...just my .02.
There are some topics that I can speak as an "expert" on. This is one.

I've coached and managed at all levels from T-Ball thru men's amateur baseball. Plus, played in college and many years of amateur ball.

In developing a young player you want him to play at the highest level he's capable of AS LONG AS he is able to CATCH the ball (.ie defend himself). If he's capable of catching a ball thrown at top speed by an 8 year old and fits well personality wise with the older kids, I would move him up.

Don't force him. If he's adamant to staying down because of friends or the fear of playing with older kids, keep him down for one more year.

The MAIN thing is that he's having fun. If he's having fun he'll practice more and harder and naturally progress.

Incidentally, you can't play catch with him or pitch to him too much. If there is a better father-son bonding thing out there, I don't know what it is.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:43 PM

351 posts, read 236,147 times
Are you telling me Little League these days uses a pitching machine as opposed to a real pitcher? I feel like I live under a rock, lol.

I am in my 30s from New York. I grew up with standard little league protocol. I guess things have changed in the last decade.

I recommend tee-ball. I would take it slow just so he has all the fundamentals and dynamics down. I don’t know how involved you are with him, and I don’t know his level of interest in the baseball.

I wouldn’t worry about anything moving forward. There are always gonna be batting cages for practice, and he if has the talent, traveling teams are always an option moving forward.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:55 PM

10,476 posts, read 6,663,131 times
I assume things have changed. When my son played it went from T ball to coach pitch. Which frankly was a disaster for teaching any kind of hitting. Some of the coaches seemed to think they were back in high school and just blew it past the kids. Others couldn't hit the strike zone any better than a kid could. In contrast daughter's softball used a machine because it was more consistent at putting the ball where it needed to be.

Speaking of pitching, my dad, who spent most of his career playing, coaching, and otherwise involved in baseball and softball, was adamant that Little League tried to make kids into pitchers too soon before their arms and control had developed. He firmly believed at that age, the kids should be working on hitting the strike zone, not fast balls, curves etc. The pitcher learned control, the batter learned to bat, and the other kids got to play the game. Too often Little League games turn into a dual of which pitcher walks the most runs in and everyone else is bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports