U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 07:50 AM

8 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

They're both expensive sports to play, so you have to have some degree of wealth, especially at the competitive level. This bleeds through to the fans as well. While you don't need to be rich to play golf or tennis, it does require some sort of investment just to get started and more money as you stick with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 11:07 AM

12,993 posts, read 10,303,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokler View Post
They're both expensive sports to play, so you have to have some degree of wealth, especially at the competitive level. This bleeds through to the fans as well. While you don't need to be rich to play golf or tennis, it does require some sort of investment just to get started and more money as you stick with it.
Golf I get, tennis?

Tennis is the one I don't get. It isn't space intensive, it seems lots of city parks have nets/courts. It isn't equipment intensive, the best players in the world use $350 rackets, so younger/less serious folks can get by with way less investment. No other notable equipment; sneakers and normal athletic wear.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,370 posts, read 70,636,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
I would rather go for polo as the most elite sport.
I would probably consider the most elite sport to be yacht racing. I once worked for a couple that raced their yacht out of the Berkeley, CA marina, and yes, they were rich.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:00 PM

43,860 posts, read 22,671,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would probably consider the most elite sport to be yacht racing. I once worked for a couple that raced their yacht out of the Berkeley, CA marina, and yes, they were rich.
And inside yacht racing, I'd put down a vote for the J-class as the pinnacle. 10-20 million for the boat, 2-3 million/yr in upkeep, a professional crew and the cost of moving it around the world to where the events are. They are pretty, though.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:49 PM

88 posts, read 11,795 times
I worked in the golf industry for years. I would say your perspective is outdated. With the advent of Tiger Woods, which is now 20+ years ago, golf changed dramatically. It is now much more a sport of the common slob in terms of both participation and attendance. I hate it, but then I'm an elitist, at least as far as golf is concerned.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:37 PM

43,860 posts, read 22,671,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
I worked in the golf industry for years. I would say your perspective is outdated. With the advent of Tiger Woods, which is now 20+ years ago, golf changed dramatically. It is now much more a sport of the common slob in terms of both participation and attendance. I hate it, but then I'm an elitist, at least as far as golf is concerned.
Hmmm... What made Tiger Woods stand out from other popular golfers?

Old 07-26-2022, 02:41 PM

6,949 posts, read 2,547,506 times
Compared to Formula 1 auto racing, golf/tennis are for the unwashed masses.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:56 AM

5,943 posts, read 9,988,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hmmm... What made Tiger Woods stand out from other popular golfers?
In the modern era - it's pretty much him and Jack Nicklaus who are in the argument on the greatest that has ever played the game.

simple as that.

There is no one that has played the sport better than he did in the last 40 or so years.

Unfortunately for Jack, media hype, technology, and sports marketing was also in it's infancy when he played. So Tiger also benefited from being plastered everywhere via the media. Not to mention being more recent.... recency bias is real.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:36 AM

22,825 posts, read 14,412,018 times
I’d imagine the median household income in the stands at the Women's World Cup SL and GS events at Killington on Thanksgiving weekend is north of $300k. Most own vacation homes at ski resorts. An awful lot of NYC tri-state, metro Boston, and lower Fairfield County 1%ers. There aren’t many poor families with kids in ski resort junior programs.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:24 AM

30,432 posts, read 31,356,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Golf I get, tennis?

Tennis is the one I don't get. It isn't space intensive, it seems lots of city parks have nets/courts. It isn't equipment intensive, the best players in the world use $350 rackets, so younger/less serious folks can get by with way less investment. No other notable equipment; sneakers and normal athletic wear.
I think he was talking about the competitive, not recreational level. Even golf can be played rather inexpensively by the ordinary working man even if it is more expensive than tennis. Lots of Regular Joes play golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports