U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 09:37 AM

30,432 posts, read 31,356,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Are these some sort of unwritten rules of single sports like tennis and golf?
Tennis has a higher standard of etiquette, decorum and sportsmanship than most sports. For example, if a player gets a lucky bounce, or his/her shot hits the net in a way that's favorable to him or her, it's customary to hold the racquet up to demonstrate that you're apologetic. You don't see Lebron James hit a lucky 3-point bank shot and then hold up his hand to say "Sorry about that."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 10:00 AM

43,860 posts, read 22,671,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Compared to Formula 1 auto racing, golf/tennis are for the unwashed masses.
I feel this is shifting the focus a bit. Golf, tennis, polo, yacht racing - all of it is available to you as a participant, if you invest an appropriate amount.

But even with the most amazing amount of money available, you can't just decide to pick up F1 racing. The slowest driver on an F1 course still has to possess a whole lot of talent and has been through a brutal selection process. There are events held for gentleman racers, of course. But not F1. No more than you can pay your way into the peloton at Tour de France, if bicycling is your passion.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:13 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,885,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
It seems like everyone who attended golf and tennis events dress very well and fancy. There is a certain atmosphere and vibe to these two sports. They are almost an art in of themself. I wanted to ask a few questions that I want to see the reaction to.

1. Do only wealthy people attend golf and tennis matches? How much are they compared to other sporting events. Most of the time, County clubs in wealthy towns host tournaments and events. Then again, what city has a the capacity for a golf course?

2. Everyone dresses like they are going to an event with the Queen of England. Sometimes literally (Wimbledon.) Is there a dress code to go to a tennis or golf event?

3. In most sports cheering loudly is encouraged and what makes being a fan fun. However, in the two mentioned sports, fans are encouraged for the opposite behavior; to remain silent for most of the event.

Are these some sort of unwritten rules of single sports like tennis and golf?
Have you even watched a golf tournament lately?

Old 08-23-2022, 08:19 PM

3,522 posts, read 8,810,716 times
Speaking as someone who has attended pro tennis tournaments close to 20 times, including a half dozen visits to the U.S. Open, believe me, most tennis fans dress for comfort so they don't get burnt to a crisp sitting out in the sun for hours on end.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:17 PM
46H

1,513 posts, read 1,106,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I feel this is shifting the focus a bit. Golf, tennis, polo, yacht racing - all of it is available to you as a participant, if you invest an appropriate amount.

But even with the most amazing amount of money available, you can't just decide to pick up F1 racing. The slowest driver on an F1 course still has to possess a whole lot of talent and has been through a brutal selection process. There are events held for gentleman racers, of course. But not F1. No more than you can pay your way into the peloton at Tour de France, if bicycling is your passion.

You can buy your way into F1. Look at Stroll. Despite 6 years in F1, he has been very inconsistent. His dad paid a fortune to get him his first ride at Williams. If his dad decided he was done with racing, I doubt any other team would hire him. He clearly has talent, but with out his Dad's money, would he even had much beyond a sniff of F1? Maybe there are other drivers in F2/F3/LeMans who are just as good or even better than Stroll but don't have the money to buy a seat and we will never see them in F1.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
You can buy your way into F1. Look at Stroll. Despite 6 years in F1, he has been very inconsistent. His dad paid a fortune to get him his first ride at Williams. If his dad decided he was done with racing, I doubt any other team would hire him. He clearly has talent, but with out his Dad's money, would he even had much beyond a sniff of F1? Maybe there are other drivers in F2/F3/LeMans who are just as good or even better than Stroll but don't have the money to buy a seat and we will never see them in F1.
I probably put that badly. Money will always help grease the skids, as it were. But without some sort of talent and skill, you will not be racing in F1. Whereas you absolutely can buy your way into polo or golf or tennis or yacht racing.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I probably put that badly. Money will always help grease the skids, as it were. But without some sort of talent and skill, you will not be racing in F1. Whereas you absolutely can buy your way into polo or golf or tennis or yacht racing.
How would that work? Buying your way into polo, golf, tennis, yacht racing? Any examples?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
How would that work? Buying your way into polo, golf, tennis, yacht racing? Any examples?
Exclusive golf clubs, for instance, will charge exorbitant fees, but not look too hard at your handicap.

And as for yacht racing - there's an amazing 100 foot supermaxi called "Comanche", holds the record for transatlantic monohulls, line honors in the Fastnet race, that sort of thing. Absolutely stunning boat. Built to spec for billionaire Jim Clark for about $100 million. And he was not at the helm when they raced, except for crossing the finish line - that last bit is tradition. Same thing for other high-end yachts - J-class etc., there's a professional crew to drive the boat well, and the owner keeps out of the way until the last mile. But he still stands on the podium.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Exclusive golf clubs, for instance, will charge exorbitant fees, but not look too hard at your handicap.

And as for yacht racing - there's an amazing 100 foot supermaxi called "Comanche", holds the record for transatlantic monohulls, line honors in the Fastnet race, that sort of thing. Absolutely stunning boat. Built to spec for billionaire Jim Clark for about $100 million. And he was not at the helm when they raced, except for crossing the finish line - that last bit is tradition. Same thing for other high-end yachts - J-class etc., there's a professional crew to drive the boat well, and the owner keeps out of the way until the last mile. But he still stands on the podium.
Okay, I see…. but I meant the pros.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Okay, I see…. but I meant the pros.
Ah, OK - fair point, And you're right. For yacht racing, the pro equivalent would be the professional crew driving the boat for the yacht owners. And there are no shortcuts there, they survive on experience and reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports