U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2022, 10:30 PM
 
351 posts, read 236,147 times
Reputation: 287

Advertisements

It seems like everyone who attended golf and tennis events dress very well and fancy. There is a certain atmosphere and vibe to these two sports. They are almost an art in of themself. I wanted to ask a few questions that I want to see the reaction to.

1. Do only wealthy people attend golf and tennis matches? How much are they compared to other sporting events. Most of the time, County clubs in wealthy towns host tournaments and events. Then again, what city has a the capacity for a golf course?

2. Everyone dresses like they are going to an event with the Queen of England. Sometimes literally (Wimbledon.) Is there a dress code to go to a tennis or golf event?

3. In most sports cheering loudly is encouraged and what makes being a fan fun. However, in the two mentioned sports, fans are encouraged for the opposite behavior; to remain silent for most of the event.

Are these some sort of unwritten rules of single sports like tennis and golf?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2022, 05:55 AM
 
300 posts, read 173,610 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Are these some sort of unwritten rules of single sports like tennis and golf?
Can't speak to golf, but for tennis; No. I'm guessing what you see is more related to the cost of admission. If you can afford a luxury box at the US Open, chances are you normally wear expensive clothes.


My favorite tennis spectator events are challengers held at public venues. I've gone from sitting on the baseline watching a match with a tennis professional who was winning late stage matches in the majors six months later.

Everyone dresses as they wish.

There are subtleties about noise during play, but that's not due to elitism.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2022, 11:45 AM
 
Location: The DMV
5,943 posts, read 9,988,893 times
Reputation: 7404
I think part of it has to do with the historical aspects of these sports. In that they WERE more for the elites back in the day. And in certain respect, they still are part of that in terms of country clubs, tennis clubs etc. But there are also municipal courses and public tennis courts.

IMO, that image is not really true these days. In terms of golf, some tournaments are more like frat parties (just look up 16th hole at Waste Management Open in Phoenix). You get a hole in one or hit a good shot, people throw beer cans/bottles down at the hole.

And for the most part, you're simply wearing golf attire.... which can be a bit stuffy, depending on how you look at it. Most courses have a dress code (collared shirts, Bermuda shorts, etc). And while there may not be one specifically for tournaments or even non-playing guests, most will still dress the part.

As for the noise - that's just the nature of the sport. And typically the crowds are smaller relatively speaking. I've always wondered if it would be more distracting if the entire stadium/arena went silent for a visiting team's free throw/FG attempt...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2022, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
4,628 posts, read 4,481,057 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
It seems like everyone who attended golf and tennis events dress very well and fancy. There is a certain atmosphere and vibe to these two sports. They are almost an art in of themself. I wanted to ask a few questions that I want to see the reaction to.

1. Do only wealthy people attend golf and tennis matches? How much are they compared to other sporting events. Most of the time, County clubs in wealthy towns host tournaments and events. Then again, what city has a the capacity for a golf course?

2. Everyone dresses like they are going to an event with the Queen of England. Sometimes literally (Wimbledon.) Is there a dress code to go to a tennis or golf event?

3. In most sports cheering loudly is encouraged and what makes being a fan fun. However, in the two mentioned sports, fans are encouraged for the opposite behavior; to remain silent for most of the event.

Are these some sort of unwritten rules of single sports like tennis and golf?
1) NO...I'm not wealthy but I've attended The Masters in Augusta and The Memorial in Dublin, OH and the Western and Southern Tennis Open in Cincinnati before.
2) No dress code but yes one tends to dress a bit better for one of these events compared to a football or baseball game. When I go to a golf tournament, I've worn dress shorts and a golf shirt (Polo Shirt)...when I went to the tennis tournament I wore similar attire.
Wimbledon does require all players to wear white I believe
3) Both sports require silence while the players are playing because they have to concentrate. So those are the rules...ushers enforce them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2022, 10:36 PM
 
351 posts, read 236,147 times
Reputation: 287
I think it matches the vibe of the sport. Since these two sports are usually outdoors, you wouldn’t expect people yelling at a country club setting. Since people who play golf usually dress well, the fan base does as well. Which is why you see people wearing jerseys at most sports games.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2022, 10:41 AM
 
Location: france
783 posts, read 526,125 times
Reputation: 825
I would rather go for polo as the most elite sport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2022, 11:10 AM
 
300 posts, read 173,610 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I think it matches the vibe of the sport. Since these two sports are usually outdoors, you wouldn’t expect people yelling at a country club setting. Since people who play golf usually dress well, the fan base does as well. Which is why you see people wearing jerseys at most sports games.
Then again, I've heard that college tennis matches can get pretty rowdy. Danielle Collins (WTA) often talks about it. For example:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nis-semi-final

specifically:

Quote:
She knows not everyone appreciates her on-court temperament – habits inherited from the rowdy environment of college matches – but she thrives on that discomfort, admitting: “I’m feisty. I love making it kind of a war. If somebody wants to get in my face on my unforced errors, I have no problem getting right back at them and making it a feisty match.”
Again, for me, the sweet spot has been seeing a WTA 25K at a public or community college setting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2022, 01:51 PM
 
674 posts, read 276,968 times
Reputation: 1808
Read about Indian Wells and what passes for polite society.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2022, 06:12 PM
 
300 posts, read 173,610 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Read about Indian Wells and what passes for polite society.
Yes, that was ugly.

If the movie King Richard spawns some sequels, maybe it will get some Hollywood publicity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2022, 04:10 AM
 
434 posts, read 220,823 times
Reputation: 247
We know when Venus and Serena were dominating the so called elitist sure acted like poor trailer park backwoods gooninsh trash when attending
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top