Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 08:34 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,103,228 times

Advertisements

Rich Strike, who only qualified for the Kentucky Derby after another horse scratched, won the 2022 Kentucky Derby with a masterful run. The odds were 80-1, so just imagine, a $100 bet would have returned eight grand.

It’s an incredible story—second longest long shot to win the Derby, getting the invitation just a day before the race due to the last-minute scratch. First Derby win for the jockey, owner, and trainer. The trainer had lost about 2 dozen horses in a stable fire 6 years ago, and almost quit. The horse only cost 30 grand. By winning the Derby, he made his team nearly $2 million richer.

Rich Strike indeed!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...e2UYrATctmpzpA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 08:54 PM

3,055 posts, read 1,510,700 times
did you see the overhead view? it was even more impressive to watch the horse turn on the speed after passing thru the traffic jam. Reminds one of Secretariat.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:53 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,323,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
did you see the overhead view? it was even more impressive to watch the horse turn on the speed after passing thru the traffic jam. Reminds one of Secretariat.
It reminded me of Mine That Bird.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:58 AM

11,325 posts, read 9,210,126 times
I regret overlooking him because he was poised to give the performance that he did. He got far less publicity than any horse in the field in large part because the winner Rich Strike was not even supposed to run. That was a big reason why he was 80-1. But still he was a rapidly improving 3 year old which handicappers are supposed to look for in this race. Beyers (performance rating that I respect) up every race and he had the best closing Timeform in the entire field. I look for that when handicapping the races but I overlooked him and I am blaming myself for doing so.

I'm happy for the connections. I always liked Sonny Leon as a jockey and now the whole world knows who he is. It was a brilliant ride. No one else took the rail and despite having to pass 16 out of 19 others in this race, Sonny did it with relative ease.

I'll bet his old trainer, the respected Joe Sharp, feels sick after this. I may search out an interview if there is one. Old camp (if others were involved in the decision to sell him), especially Sharp are probably going to spend some sleepless nights ahead for letting him go for a lousy 30K. The new connections earned $1,860,000.00 as their share of the winning purse. Obviously one of the if not the worst business decision in the history of the game. Some investment, huh? Congratulations to all involved and to horse players who recognized him as a possibility that he would light the tote board up. I wish I was part of that.

I liked Epicenter to win and he almost did by coming in a good 2nd. Had he won it I would have hit the Oaks-Derby Double. It was a difficult race to handicap anyway as this field was knee deep in talent.

Taiba was a suckers bet and despite the obvious for all to see the bettors still made him the 2nd choice in the wagering. He was one of the worst looking horses in the post parade and ran like it. He was nowhere on my already bought tickets.

Besides trainer Sharp I'd like to see an interview with world class jockey Christophe Lemaire on why he was part of the most blistering pace in the history of this prodigious race. Crown Pride looked the best warming up before the race but the jockey burned him out. Why, Christophe, why were you up so close and going so fast early? The horse was supposed to (in my eyes) be laying back at least a half dozen lengths in back of the blistering opening fractions set by Summer Is Tomorrow who finished a predicted 20th out of the 20 horses.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:05 AM

700 posts, read 439,633 times
Quote:
Secretariat was not a closer.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:18 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,030,100 times
I never watch horse racing, but I saw this when reading the daily news headlines, and it made me very happy.

Although (as I said I am not a horse racing fan, and so I will probably get "beat up" for saying this), it reminded me of the story of Seabiscuit, which I also enjoyed.

I guess I just love it when an "underdog" (or rather, someone who is not given enough notice or credit) WINS!

Old 05-08-2022, 10:33 AM

3,055 posts, read 1,510,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Secretariat was not a closer.
well he could come from behind and esp turn on the speed! He could kick it up! So could this one.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:30 PM

602 posts, read 305,784 times
What a wonderful Kentucky Derby...people came out in force, it broke betting records and ended up with what could be the most exciting finish in the Derby ...The " Greatest Two Minutes in Sports"

So happy for Rich Strike, the jockey, the trainer and the owners....pure excitement and great joy !

And I'd wager that there wasn't anyone there who missed a guy by the name of Baffert !

Old 05-08-2022, 01:18 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,103,228 times
OMG, this article says Rich Strike is the first claimed horse to every win the Derby!

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...kentucky-derby

What a story!

Old 05-08-2022, 01:27 PM

4,171 posts, read 3,363,694 times
Quote:
Rich Strike got a jaw-dropping ride, and you ought to see the overhead view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports