U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 09:10 AM

13,398 posts, read 18,455,151 times

Advertisements

Being age 73 I was a little surprised to see an over the head body slam of Flair to the canvas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 01:47 PM

14,470 posts, read 11,784,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Pretty much every serious book written about Flair, as well as all accounts from other workers tells that he was the quintessential partier. He even admitted that he spent more than he made many years.
He had a reputation of spending money on all night parties, buying drinks for the whole bar. The Ex Cat wife found him in a Dallas area West End bar one night, he was dressed to the hilt, partying like it was his last. (He did sign an autograph for her)

I saw him in person once and he was definitely a much better worker than Hogan. Hogan could have never gone the distance if he had to, and knew about what 2 moves? Flair could work a 45 minute match back when the NWA was structured that a Heel Champion was much more common. Terry funk was a superhero to the fans of West Texas and a heel everywhere else. That was how the business worked, the champ traveled to the local promotion, fought the local hero, went the distance and in the end made it look like he had barely beaten the town fave. One worker said that a perfect World Title match would be to leave the fans thinking that if there had been FIVE more minutes, then the local boy would have won.

I saw Hogan live twice as world champ. First was against the Iron Sheik, and it was the exact same match they did on TV Over in 7 minutes after The Sheik jumped Hogan getting into the ring. The second was worse, Paul Orndorff pulled a foreign object at 5 minutes, Hogan took it from him, the ref saw Hogan with it and DQ'd Hogan. Under 6 minutes for that one. Which was what Hogan did at house shows: Disappoint. Yes, he showed up but did very little, more time posing after the match than putting any effort into actually wrestling.

Flair, Like FUnk, ALWAYS gave the fans their money's worth. Hogan wanted to go out, get his paycheck ASAP with as little work as possible, while Flair wanted to go out and entertain.

He wanted to go out and entertain in his last match, but his body has just given out. With all the years of booze and health problems, he at least got there.

All of the original Horsemen all tell the same story.. They lived the gimmick.

Funny enough.. At about the 4:58 mark and a few other places here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z2BQW-7iQ

You can see a 25 year old me, in a Bobby Labonte hat of course.. Chanting "We Want Flair!"

In the early 90's, a cousin married a wrestler.. Doubtful it's anyone you ever heard of. They did spend time in WCW in 92/93 before the Hogan cost-cutting.. The Cole Twins. i forget which one she married.. Kent, I think. I still have one of their promotional photos somewhere that he signed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cole_Twins

I can tell you that my uncle did not care for the guy. They came here to SC (Lived in GA) at some point, and apparently I made one of my smart-ass comments, as I am want to do.. Something along the lines of just saying "Don't you own anything with sleeves?" and my uncle still brings that up to this day and laughs to no end as he's telling the story.

I know WCW tried to get my cousin to come on as a valet for them, but she refused. I don't think they stayed married more than 3 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Being age 73 I was a little surprised to see an over the head body slam of Flair to the canvas.
Signature move. Usually followed up by the "Flair Flop".. Then him being thrown into the corner, going upside down, landing on the apron and doing a running clothesline.. WHEN it worked. Later on, about 90% of the time this wound up with him falling on his butt, which.. Actually worked, too, so far as the flow of the match.

All in all here.. I think perhaps the best wrestler that I've ever seen. From a pure performer standpoint, might be Ricky Steamboat. He was sorely lacking in personality much of the time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports