Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:32 AM

742 posts, read 2,067,380 times

Advertisements

Someone forget to mention economics. Track, especially running, is one of the least expensive sports to train for. If you live near an open field or a stadium, or enrolled in a public school, you just show up there and train. All you need is a decent pair of shoes. Basketball is another less-expensive. All you need is a ball and a net. Blacks have traditionally been economically-challenged. So they gravitate towards sports that are affordable. That's why they dominate track and basketball.

Swimming costs money. Gymnastics and tennis costs more money. Any sport requiring excessive amount of gear, proper facilities (like a pool, gymnasium, a proper court) will cost money. With a few exceptions, whites are usually more likely to afford these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Baseball is also popular in Taiwan and South Korea. In fact it's well enough developed in South Korea that it's a regular destination for MLB scouts who pick up folks like Chan Ho Park and Shin Soo Choo and bring 'em back here.
Oh, no! It's spreading. Run for the hills! Run for the hills! Anyway, thanks for fine tuning my baseball knowledge.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Someone forget to mention economics. Track, especially running, is one of the least expensive sports to train for. If you live near an open field or a stadium, or enrolled in a public school, you just show up there and train. All you need is a decent pair of shoes. Basketball is another less-expensive. All you need is a ball and a net. Blacks have traditionally been economically-challenged. So they gravitate towards sports that are affordable. That's why they dominate track and basketball.

Swimming costs money. Gymnastics and tennis costs more money. Any sport requiring excessive amount of gear, proper facilities (like a pool, gymnasium, a proper court) will cost money. With a few exceptions, whites are usually more likely to afford these.
That's cuz you forgot to read my oh-so-brilliant post. But, I didn't elaborate like you.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I don't think you can pin it on any one thing--race, economics, etc. It's a combination of things. Granted, physical attributes help. But I saw taller-than-average gymnasts competing at the Olympic level. And Dara Torres and that vaulter from Germany taught us that age is only a number.

I agree with geography playing a factor as well. When I read the bios of swimmers from other countries, I'm amazed how many come to the US to train in TX, FL or CA. Then they go home and compete for their own country.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM

318 posts, read 934,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I don't think you can pin it on any one thing--race, economics, etc. It's a combination of things. Granted, physical attributes help. But I saw taller-than-average gymnasts competing at the Olympic level. And Dara Torres and that vaulter from Germany taught us that age is only a number.

I agree with geography playing a factor as well. When I read the bios of swimmers from other countries, I'm amazed how many come to the US to train in TX, FL or CA. Then they go home and compete for their own country.
Its not just swimmers many track runners train in the US especially the Jamaican runners some even share the same coaches as the US athletes.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Exactly and who in the world can forget Yao Ming???? The man is over 7 feet tall and is totally Chinese.
Yao Ming is proof that eugenics works. From Time Magazine:

The faint whispers of a genetic conspiracy coursed through the corridors of Shanghai No. 6 Hospital on the evening of Sept. 12, 1980. It was shortly after 7 p.m., and a patient in the maternity ward had just endured an excruciating labor to give birth to a baby boy. An abnormally large baby boy. The doctors and nurses on duty should have anticipated something out of the ordinary. The boy's parents, after all, were retired basketball stars whose marriage the year before had made them the tallest couple in China. The mother, Fang Fengdi, an austere beauty with a pinched smile, measured 1.88 m—more than half a foot taller than the average man in Shanghai. The father, Yao Zhiyuan, was a 2.08-m giant whose body pitched forward in the kind of deferential stoop that comes from a lifetime of ducking under door frames and leaning down to listen to people of more normal dimensions. So imposing was their size that ever since childhood, the two had been known simply as Da Yao and Da Fang—Big Yao and Big Fang.

The whole article:
TIMEasia Magazine: The Creation of Yao Ming (http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501051114/story.html - broken link)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I'm sure that Adolf Hitler would have been impressed with the idea that race matters in the Olympics. But I can't see why anyone else should be.

Training has a lot more to do with it. East Africans dominate track events because 1) they train in mountainous regions. And 2) because they can devote more time to training than, say, Americans. We've got the Rocky Mountains in this country, so there's no reason why American runners--whether they happen to be black or white--couldn't dominate any and all running events.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
You aren't giving genetics (i.e. race) enough credit. I could train perfectly for years in the sprints and not be world class simply because I don't have the percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers that West Africans and their descendants have.

Do you they train properly? Of course they do.

Do they have a head start on most us? Yep.

Does that make their accomplishments any less important? Nope.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Didn't the late Jimmy the Greek get into trouble for this kind of conversation?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Didn't the late Jimmy the Greek get into trouble for this kind of conversation?
Maybe, but when
Chris Rock makes the exact same point, it's considered comedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports