Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times

Advertisements

McIlroy looks good and Spieth seems to have reeled it back in on the back 9 today. It's interesting to see the Aussie, Leishman, a co-leader as I write this, play in the same group as Woods.

I wonder how the rain tomorrow will effect the tournament, it's also suppose to rain on Monday if the tournament is pushed into next week. I suspect they will try to catch everyone up on Sunday morning, if they have to and not go into Monday, if they don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Serge's meltdown was catastrophic.

Watching it, I can't quite figure it out. The only thing I can conclude is that the ball he's using just spins too much.

A lot of those shots were solid shots. Largest number on any hole in Masters history.
(armchair quarterback here) Short club, green sloped back to front. He was simply too greedy. Pretty much anything below the hole is going to roll off. His first two landed just by the hole and spun back just enough to roll off. The next few was further past - but it looked like he used the same club and just swung harder, which also will spin more. Thus, they zipped back with the same result.

The ball wasn't the issue. It was the 6" between the ears....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
McIlroy looks good and Spieth seems to have reeled it back in on the back 9 today. It's interesting to see the Aussie, Leishman, a co-leader as I write this, play in the same group as Woods.

I wonder how the rain tomorrow will effect the tournament, it's also suppose to rain on Monday if the tournament is pushed into next week. I suspect they will try to catch everyone up on Sunday morning, if they have to and not go into Monday, if they don't have to.
Not a fan of Reed.... but that's a hell of a round. That up and down from the bunker on 12 is amazing. Interested to see how the weather will play into this tomorrow.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

it's going to be a dogfight, that's for sure -I'm interested in seeing what Reed does w/ this lead - he's not the most like-able person, that's for sure.....I've followed him a lot over the years at The Players and at Valspar. I recall at TPC his wife (former caddy) was expecting their first and she was following him and he spoke to the gallery about it. Thought that was pretty cool as the players are really like stiffs and don't really interact as much with fans as I think they should.

Reed's interview on TGC after his round sounded very Tigeresque.....I wonder how much Reed has asked TW about Augusta over the years because the interview reminded me of how robotic Tiger used to be in his interviews. Never did like Reed's swing, but hell, he's gotten a lot of his game. Winning the Green Jacket means a lot to most of these players, but Reed played at Augusta State and there's a story there.

Here's just one of the tons of pictures that I've taken of Reed (TPC few yrs ago). I've taken a lot of pictures of so many players including TW over the years. Not sure why, I guess it's fun to review them as I get older.

Last edited by BucFan; 04-07-2018 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times
I think I've heard Reed isn't that bad of a person and actually interacts with the fans.

He's not going to win (I don't think)...Masters doesn't start until back 9 on Sunday...

Old 04-07-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Masters doesn't start until back 9 on Sunday...
The nation watches, the pressure, the course set-up, the drama, the history----all sets up for the back nine. The players want the win so much they can taste it. The nerves hit, the course's layout (reachable par 5's) make it that way unless you have a 1997 Tiger walk-away from the pack lead.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
IMO for what its worth, I'm giving Reed <50% chance of winning the green jacket at this point. Several reasons: 1. So many good players within striking distance. 2. Reed is not the guy who strikes fear like a Tiger Woods in his day.

I was ready to puke after all the golf gasbags were handing Speith the green jacket after Thursday's 66. You can see how quickly the wheels can come off as he bogeyed 18, then doubled 1, and bogeyed 2.

There is a TON of golf left. Today's conditions should soften up the greens and fairways, so unless there's a deluge of rain, the scoring average should be much better than yesterday.

Also very curious which holes will have impossible pin placements today....

Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Depending on how things shake out today - I suspect there will be a lot of folks watching tomorrow afternoon. The weather in the east isn't all that. And given the big names on/near the top (Reed, Stenson, Jordan, Rory, DJ, etc.) - there may be a lot of folks tuning in.

I'd love to see Rory and DJ find their way into the last group and see how it pans out. Rory going for the GS, and DJ "sneaking in" under the radar as the world #1.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 AM

I think that anyone T8 forward will be/could be in the Green Jacket. But today's moving day, and weather/pressure of the Masters could cause the top of the leaderboard to return to the field. I think Faldo said something about -4 being the leading score after three or winning score?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 AM

CBS needs the field to tighten up especially w/the major disappointments of Phil and Tiger the past two days...

Old 04-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think that anyone T8 forward will be/could be in the Green Jacket. But today's moving day, and weather/pressure of the Masters could cause the top of the leaderboard to return to the field. I think Faldo said something about -4 being the leading score after three or winning score?
I also think you can throw John Rahm into the equation. The guy is young, but he has the 'potential' to fire a 66 today.

Lastly, there are 3 things guaranteed...death, taxes, and Matt Kuchar lurking for a top 10/15 finish...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports