Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:09 PM

1,893 posts, read 999,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"what's your beef?" The wearing of NON collared shirts which IS a standard requirement at every golf course I have played and that is LOT, all over the world.

I currently live in "The Golf Capital of the World" and will NOT be allowed to play ANY of the 100 or so courses WITHOUT a collared shirt.
Look at his shirt. It has a collar. It isn't a standard Tee shirt. It is a shirt that past greats have worn over the years. Got a beef, take it up with your pro shop because you're not going to change the PGA tour or Augusta National no matter how red your face gets being angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 04:08 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,042,131 times
Quote:
"The media has made him a God" IMO, it is because he is 1/4 black.
Yes. That's what I said in previous post.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:57 PM

45,297 posts, read 26,793,042 times
List of health issues...

2008 - Torn ACL
2010 - Neck injury
2011 - Sprained MCL, Achilles
2012 - Achilles
2014 - Back surgery
2015 - Back surgery
2017 - Back injury (spinal fusion)

Who recovers from that and does what he did?

Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 PM

50,012 posts, read 63,347,416 times
Quote:
"The media has made him a God" IMO, it is because he is 1/4 black.
A pet peeve of mine is when Tiger won, I think in 1997, and some stupid interviewer made some remake about his being a person of color. Give me a break. Vijay Singh had won earlier, and he’s a lot blacker than Tiger. I’m so sick of people making race a factor.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,100,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A pet peeve of mine is when Tiger won, I think in 1997, and some stupid interviewer made some remake about his being a person of color. Give me a break. Vijay Singh had won earlier, and he’s a lot blacker than Tiger. I’m so sick of people making race a factor.
Vijay won after Tiger. In fact, Tiger was the first "non-white" winner and there has been only one other (Vijay) since.

And it was a factor considering it was only 7 years before (late 1990) that Augusta EVEN ADMITTED a Black member.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2015/04/...nal-golf-club/

"Black golfing pioneer Charlie Sifford was famously snubbed from playing at Augusta, which was quite the omission as he was the first African-American to play on the PGA Tour.

The ban on African-Americans joining the club was finally lifted in 1991, well after Lee Elder broke Augusta’s race barrier by playing in the Masters in 1975. In 1983, the club finally permitted members to hire caddies who weren’t Black. Beforehand, most golfers hired nothing but Black caddies, which some allege was part of the members’ retaining a sense of control and power."

Race was always a factor at Augusta.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-16-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Vijay won after Tiger. In fact, Tiger was the first "non-white" winner and there has been only one other (Vijay) since.

And it was a factor considering it was only 7 years before (late 1990) that Augusta EVEN ADMITTED a Black member.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2015/04/...nal-golf-club/

"Black golfing pioneer Charlie Sifford was famously snubbed from playing at Augusta, which was quite the omission as he was the first African-American to play on the PGA Tour.

The ban on African-Americans joining the club was finally lifted in 1991, well after Lee Elder broke Augusta’s race barrier by playing in the Masters in 1975. In 1983, the club finally permitted members to hire caddies who weren’t Black. Beforehand, most golfers hired nothing but Black caddies, which some allege was part of the members’ retaining a sense of control and power."

Race was always a factor at Augusta.
Didn't Sifford win many years before???

Also, I am certain Vijay was on tour beforeWoods.

Your post isn't close to correct.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,100,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Didn't Sifford win many years before???

Also, I am certain Vijay was on tour beforeWoods.

Your post isn't close to correct.
Sifford won PGA events (2 I believe) but was snubbed and not invited to play at the Masters. Vijay might have won a PGA event before Tiger, but the poster's claim (by context - even Tiger had already won on the PGA Tour prior to the 1997 Masters) was that Vijay won the Masters before Tiger. He did not. There were several other Blacks who won PGA events... but could not play at the Masters because they were not permitted. That is the issue the sports caster that Gentlearts mention was discussing.

Please point out what is incorrect.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-16-2019 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM

6,560 posts, read 11,191,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
List of health issues...

2008 - Torn ACL
2010 - Neck injury
2011 - Sprained MCL, Achilles
2012 - Achilles
2014 - Back surgery
2015 - Back surgery
2017 - Back injury (spinal fusion)

Who recovers from that and does what he did?
It's all subjective - but Ben Hogan almost died in a head-on collision and won the U.S. Open 16 months later.

From the accident, he suffered:
  • Double-fracture of the pelvis
    Fractured collarbone
    Fractured left ankle
    Chipped ribs
    Near fatal blood clots.

Initial prognosis included him not being able to walk again.
Also - back then, the US Open played the final two rounds on Sat. So Hogan had to walk 36 holes on Sat. Which ended in a tie, requiring an 18 hole playoff on Sunday

The iconic picture of his follow through with a 1 iron was his approach shot on the 18th in the final round.

Hogan actually won the majority of his Majors AFTER this accident.

I don't think you can really compare the two and debate who's comeback was "better" or "harder". Both are pretty amazing. One fought through personal/social demons and physical injury, the other almost died from sustained injuries (at a time where medical science isn't what it is today).

Old 04-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Lots of speculation about Woods use of PEDs as well. Just look at how much of a twig he was back in his amateur days versus the 2000. He like doubled in size.

I hope he doesn't win another major - I'm glad he had his swan song, though. Hopefully last weekend was his equivalent of Nicklaus' 1986 Masters win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sifford won PGA events (2 I believe) but was snubbed and not invited to play at the Masters. Vijay might have won a PGA event before Tiger, but the poster's claim (by context - even Tiger had already won on the PGA Tour prior to the 1997 Masters) was that Vijay won the Masters before Tiger. He did not. There were several other Blacks who won PGA events... but could not play at the Masters because they were not permitted. That is the issue the sports caster that Gentlearts mention was discussing.

Please point out what is incorrect.

I must have misinterpreted your post.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 PM

45,297 posts, read 26,793,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
It's all subjective - but Ben Hogan almost died in a head-on collision and won the U.S. Open 16 months later.

From the accident, he suffered:
  • Double-fracture of the pelvis
    Fractured collarbone
    Fractured left ankle
    Chipped ribs
    Near fatal blood clots.

Initial prognosis included him not being able to walk again.
Also - back then, the US Open played the final two rounds on Sat. So Hogan had to walk 36 holes on Sat. Which ended in a tie, requiring an 18 hole playoff on Sunday

The iconic picture of his follow through with a 1 iron was his approach shot on the 18th in the final round.

Hogan actually won the majority of his Majors AFTER this accident.

I don't think you can really compare the two and debate who's comeback was "better" or "harder". Both are pretty amazing. One fought through personal/social demons and physical injury, the other almost died from sustained injuries (at a time where medical science isn't what it is today).
I wasn't specifically comparing the two. I was too young to know about what Hogan went through. It sounds just as amazing.

I think what Tiger did have to deal with that Hogan didn't, is the pressure brought forth from social media and your business being put out there continuously.

Again - not slighting Hogan and what he accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports