Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,044,627 times

Advertisements

Koepka looking good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,643,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Koepka looking good.
So sad to see that location description in your profile. I lived in the Twin Cities area from '59 - '65 and it sure wasn't that then. Then again, even California wasn't that back then. It sure is now. Seems that's a shoe that fits much of the nation today.

Yes, Koepka had a great day. Today will be someone else's turn.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So sad to see that location description in your profile. I lived in the Twin Cities area from '59 - '65 and it sure wasn't that then. Then again, even California wasn't that back then. It sure is now. Seems that's a shoe that fits much of the nation today.

Yes, Koepka had a great day. Today will be someone else's turn.
The UN put a gun to our politicians head and they signed off on refugee resettlement. Strangely many of them wind up in the coldest state in the Union. Hmmm

Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 PM

6,711 posts, read 4,365,916 times
Quote:
Koepka looking good.

He reminded me of the Tiger of years ago.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 AM

Can't believe Tiger missed the cut.

LOL...and someone on the golf forum I post on said he might make a run at the Grand Slam. Granted I LOL'd when he posted it...I think he was actually serious...

Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:

LOL...and someone on the golf forum I post on said he might make a run at the Grand Slam. Granted I LOL'd when he posted it...I think he was actually serious...
Were you following the sport when Tiger first burst on the scene? Somehow I doubt it. 'Cause if you were, you wouldn't be quick to brush him aside. And you wouldn't refer to him with LOLs.

For about 10 years there beginning in '97, he was not only the best by far in the game, but the best there ever had been. The vast majority of his amazing record was packed into those years. Had his personal life, health, and thus game not fallen apart, he would have surpassed many/most of Nicklaus' overall records. And I say that as one of the biggest Nicklaus fans to ever walk the earth. Tiger was simply that good....made shots routinely that no one had ever seen in their lives. And they were no flukes. When Tiger played, you could count on them.

I, too, had high hopes that Tiger could make a run at the grand slam. I knew full well that chances were slim at this stage, but I remember well when they weren't slim at all. In fact, he has a slam....but that Masters fell in the following year.

Tiger is no joke. You heard the crowds yesterday....whenever he made a shot that impressed. Those ovations didn't come from nowhere. Those folks remember....remember how Tiger single-handedly revived and rejuvenated a dying game as Nicklaus faded from the scene.

What did you hear for Koepka? Precious little. Obviously lots of talent there, but he sure doesn't have the gallery. He has to earn it first....and I have my doubts that he ever will.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Here's an excellent piece that adds further perspective....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terence.../#2f2ea829790f

Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 AM

6,711 posts, read 4,365,916 times
Quote:
Were you following the sport when Tiger first burst on the scene? Somehow I doubt it. 'Cause if you were, you wouldn't be quick to brush him aside. And you wouldn't refer to him with LOLs.

For about 10 years there beginning in '97, he was not only the best by far in the game, but the best there ever had been. The vast majority of his amazing record was packed into those years. Had his personal life, health, and thus game not fallen apart, he would have surpassed many/most of Nicklaus' overall records. And I say that as one of the biggest Nicklaus fans to ever walk the earth. Tiger was simply that good....made shots routinely that no one had ever seen in their lives. And they were no flukes. When Tiger played, you could count on them.

I, too, had high hopes that Tiger could make a run at the grand slam. I knew full well that chances were slim at this stage, but I remember well when they weren't slim at all. In fact, he has a slam....but that Masters fell in the following year.

Tiger is no joke. You heard the crowds yesterday....whenever he made a shot that impressed. Those ovations didn't come from nowhere. Those folks remember....remember how Tiger single-handedly revived and rejuvenated a dying game as Nicklaus faded from the scene.

What did you hear for Koepka? Precious little. Obviously lots of talent there, but he sure doesn't have the gallery. He has to earn it first....and I have my doubts that he ever will.
" The three major tournaments he played in 2018 also saw an average 40% bump in the final round due to the ‘Tiger effect’. When he was in contention for the PGA Championship, CBS saw its ratings climb by 69%. Conversely, the 2017 US Open, where he was absent, recorded the third-lowest ratings on record for a final round. "

It is a fact that when Tiger is hitting and winning, viewers skyrocket, and galleries go crazy.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:20 PM

6,561 posts, read 11,197,299 times
Quote:

Well.... when you don't play competitive golf for a month and don't actually play all 18 holes of the next venue. I can't exactly say I'm surprised. Disappointed - yes. But surprised? Nope.

I know he has traditionally never played the week before a major. But he ain't a twenty-something beast anymore. Probably could have used more reps the past week.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:

To some degree, I think Tiger got me into the game - he probably played some kind of role...not sure how much though since I played in a league when I was a kid years before I had ever heard of him, and I grew up basically on a golf course.

And this discussion never ends - Tiger fanboys will have no deviation from their "Tiger is the GOAT, period" narrative. I don't agree. And I don't even think he's the second greatest the sport has ever seen:

1. Bobby Jones
2. Jack Nicklaus
3. Tiger

And I could get into WHY, but I am sure wouldn't really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports