Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Answer me this one question that I have burning inside my head. Why would anyone ever join a country club? how boring would it be to play the same course every day, every weekend, every year, year after year? I have thought about joining a club but I think I would pull my hair out after 3 weekends in a row of playing the same course? just doesn't make any sense on how anyone would ever join a country club.

Here is another problem I have with country clubs that I have looked into, in the upper midwest we don't have the best weather but all the CC I looked at they are only open to golf from May-Aug or April-Oct. However I have played plenty of times in April and in March and in November and even December and like this year the 4th warmest winter in Milwaukee history we have had plenty of days above 40 and no snow so I would love to go out golfing say like today March 6th when temps in Milwaukee hit 61 as a high but no CC is open in March.

I just don't see the appeal beside the locker room, showers and bar and restaurant and pool from a purely golf aspect it seems like it would suck.

If I am going to put up 1,000 or 2,000 a year for a single player I expect the course to be open as much as possible.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM

As memberships fade, country clubs change course - JSOnline

here is a great article on how clubs are losing and switching to public or pay as you go courses. Semi-private is gaining some ground now.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Answer me this one question that I have burning inside my head. Why would anyone ever join a country club? how boring would it be to play the same course every day, every weekend, every year, year after year? I have thought about joining a club but I think I would pull my hair out after 3 weekends in a row of playing the same course? just doesn't make any sense on how anyone would ever join a country club.

Here is another problem I have with country clubs that I have looked into, in the upper midwest we don't have the best weather but all the CC I looked at they are only open to golf from May-Aug or April-Oct. However I have played plenty of times in April and in March and in November and even December and like this year the 4th warmest winter in Milwaukee history we have had plenty of days above 40 and no snow so I would love to go out golfing say like today March 6th when temps in Milwaukee hit 61 as a high but no CC is open in March.

I just don't see the appeal beside the locker room, showers and bar and restaurant and pool from a purely golf aspect it seems like it would suck.

If I am going to put up 1,000 or 2,000 a year for a single player I expect the course to be open as much as possible.

Thoughts?
I agree that having a variety is a good thing. However, its not like anyone is good enough where you'd end up hitting out of your own divot on every hole because you play there every week. And you still have the option of playing elsewhere (obviously, its not economically advantageous since you're paying for you club already). For the most part, I joined a club because of its proximity (I live in a golf community) as well as the convenience. I can just hop on and play a few holes if I want to after work. Oh and it has 36 holes.. so that helps a bit with variety.

There's also the people you meet. Yes, you eventually meet people anywhere you frequent. But clubs are a bit different since they also have other activities (and family can also part take even if they don't golf). In addition, there are the club tournaments, as well as "unofficial" grudge matches that are held with different golf groups.

Is it for everyone? probably not. And honestly, if it wasn't literally 2 minutes away from the house, I most likely wouldn't have joined. But now that I've joined, I'm happy I did.

Cost is obviously also a huge consideration. And my club is a resort/conference center so its not priced like a tradition upscale club (five figure + initiation and ridiculous monthly dues). In fact, I actually did price it out... and its not that much more expensive than what I would have paid at the local courses (the green fees here in MD right outside of DC area super crazy in the last 5-7 years... $85-$100 on weekends) - and I also get pool, tennis, spa, locker room, range/practice hole, for me and my family. Albeit I've yet to use anything outside of golf. Haven't even been in the locker room.

As for closures - that's just club policy. But at our club, they do close one course during the winter (and its just Dec-Feb). Its mainly to protect the course from damage because of the weather. And I'd think it be hard to open ad hoc because of freak weather here and there.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Well I'm bad enough that I'm not taking the same shots when I play a course over and over.

Also pretty sure people that join have a lot of disposable income...

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Well I'm bad enough that I'm not taking the same shots when I play a course over and over.

Also pretty sure people that join have a lot of disposable income...
Yeah there are several clubs in the MKE area that charge 100,000K just for an initiation fee then it's another 40K a year...Cripes! I have also seen clubs charge $5,000 initial fee then it's $2,500 a year then I have seen semi private courses for $1,000 and up. I would join one of the lesser clubs that had at least tennis and a pool and social events. Then again all the muni courses here in Milwaukee charge $900 for unlimited golf and no amenities.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
Tigers leading and playing well today. Good precursor for the masters hopefully

Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Any LPGA followers? Talk about a tough break yesterday when Kim jacked a 1 footer on the 18th, which eventually cost her the Nabisco in a playoff.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Any LPGA followers? Talk about a tough break yesterday when Kim jacked a 1 footer on the 18th, which eventually cost her the Nabisco in a playoff.
I'll watch from time to time but I can't name 5 current lpga players. I did see that she missed a tap in.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
I'll watch from time to time but I can't name 5 current lpga players. I did see that she missed a tap in.
Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim & Kim

Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Wow just amazing shot and a great final day at the masters. Watching that today just makes you want to run right out to the course. BTW The Masters should fine Tiger Woods 50,000 for that club kick and tantrum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports