Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 AM

6,561 posts, read 11,197,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I’m constantly amazed by how far the Pros can drive the ball with a seemingly effortless swing, and it goes for +300 yards easily. I had a chance recently to see some of them play in person and I paid close attention to their swings and stances. They didn’t swing exceedingly hard or fast, just a bit above average speed and the ball went like a rocket. Some could achieve that with just a long iron! Some of them weren’t even in tip-top shape physically, no Tiger there. Absolutely unbelievable! The clubs they use seemed ordinary enough. By that I mean they look almost identical to the ones found in any pro-shops. What is the secret here? Why can’t most of us do the same? I just can’t figure it out. I know many of them have special club fitting, but does it really make such a huge dramatic difference? The spring-like effect must be over the top if that's the case.
Most actually only swing 70-80% too to make sure they keep that accuracy (rec golfers typically go after it 120% ). It's a factor of skills, fitness and equipment. But you can't compare those guys and us "enthusiasts". Most of us simply don't have the talent to generate the club head speed necessary (among a billion other things). The average speed of their 8 iron (~87MPH) is similar to what the average joe swings their driver. Although the right shaft does factor into that...

Like Milwaukee City mentioned - having your clubs fitted is the key to playing better. If you're swing irons that are not fit for you, it will cause you to compensate and prevent you from swinging correctly. This includes finding the right shaft length, flex, trajectory and type of irons. Many manufactures do provide options for different shafts - which in my opinion is the most important part of the club. I just got a set of new Mizuno's and had them custom fit. Spent two hours on a launch monitor hitting different shafts etc. In the end, the length, lie, loft and shaft were all changed from the "stock spec". The cost was about the same as online retailers (the shafts would have been an up-charge elsewhere). And I get free adjustments for as long as I own them. <--- and this is why I prefer the local guys vs. a big box store. If you buy forged irons, the loft/lie will be altered from the constant impact with the ground.

Even if you find yourself to be "standard" and need no adjustments, there's no guarantee that the clubs off the rack are what they say they are. Most have an allowable variance to the specs. eg. lets say that variance is just 1 degree, if the 7 iron is 1 degree too weak, and the 8 iron is 1 degree too strong (acceptable), you essentially have two clubs that go almost the same distance, with distance gaps on either side. What this may cause you to do is swing harder to compensate for the gaps... and causing you frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 AM

757 posts, read 1,020,305 times
Thanks Milwaukee City and macroy for the helpful info.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Adjustability in drivers like those made by Titleist, TaylorMade and many other brands, is it marketing gimmick or real game improvement tech? I still haven’t warmed up to the idea of having the hostel breaking up in multiple pieces. I have serious doubt about its structural integrity at impact compared to the traditional bore-thru type drivers. I like my driver as one solid piece equipment from grip to toe, no adjustment. That’s just me.

What is your experience with the adjustable drivers like? Did it give you extra distance and control, or just about the same as with your old style bore-thru ones (similar head size)? Is it worth the switch? I'd like to know.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:15 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,879,107 times
Quote:
Adjustability in drivers like those made by Titleist, TaylorMade and many other brands, is it marketing gimmick or real game improvement tech? I still haven’t warmed up to the idea of having the hostel breaking up in multiple pieces. I have serious doubt about its structural integrity at impact compared to the traditional bore-thru type drivers. I like my driver as one solid piece equipment from grip to toe, no adjustment. That’s just me.

What is your experience with the adjustable drivers like? Did it give you extra distance and control, or just about the same as with your old style bore-thru ones (similar head size)? Is it worth the switch? I'd like to know.

It took a while, but my long-time slice eventually worked its way back into my repertoire after the switch to the Taylor Made driver.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,004,060 times
Well it's Q School time again and yet again not a single player from Wisconsin. Pitiful, with all the great courses in WI and huge access to so many quality public courses and a high per capita golf players in the state, our contribution to golf so far is still Andy North, Steve Stricker, Jerry Kelly, Mark Wilson and on a lesser known plateau: Dan Forsman, Nick Gilliam, Vicki Goetze, J.P. Hayes, Skip Kendall, Don Iverson, Bob Mann, David Merkow, Lauri Merten, Martha Nause, Don Reese, Sherri Steinhauer, Jason Witczak, Joyce Ziske.

Yeah that's our complete list of golfers from Wisconsin 18. 13 who played on the PGA and 5 on the LPGA.

I'm sure you cannot expect much coming from a northern state where country clubs are only open from May/June-Sept/Oct.

http://www.golfwrx.com/Web.com_Q_School_Photos

Old 12-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Its a gimmick in the sense that you can't customize a driver for everyone with those settings alone. Its more of a fine tune adjustment. Its also not something you want to do often (i.e. I was slicing all AM, let me just crank the head 1* closed for the afternoon round).

Different manufactures also have different adjustments...I guess it also depends on what your looking for. i.e. My 910D3 has no weight adjustments. And it's only at address with the club naturally resting on the ground (open, neutral, closed etc...), what it is when it makes contact with the ball is a whole different story.

As for structural integrity - its still multiple pieces, held together by a screw vs. epoxy. Neither is really forever. But you can tighten a loose head of an adjustable driver on the course.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Golf Digest vs Golf(S.I) vs Golf Week? which magazine do you guys prefer?

Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 PM

Golf Digest for me. I find its layout, photos and info very well presented. Some of the tips and drills are quite helpful. Great golf mag for sure. But I'd strongly recommend golf mags form Europe as well for the European Tour stuffs. No golfers should miss those.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 PM

I've had both GD and Golf over the years (never really opted for golf week). Both seems to be full of ads now. Although most magazines seems to be like that these days.

I guess the good thing is that they can be had with left over airline points or other magazine offers so you'd never have to actually pay for them. And they usually come with other mags as well (golf world, some golf travel magazine, etc.).

All in all - I get more of my golf info fix from the 'net (Golfwrx, Golf Channel, pgatour, hacker's paradise etc.).

Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
All in all - I get more of my golf info fix from the 'net (Golfwrx, Golf Channel, pgatour, hacker's paradise etc.).

Yeah I'm a big fan of the sand trap and wrx. I also visit Steve Elkington's website that he created Secret In The Dirt. I wish I could find Elk's stories about John Daily online somewhere, man that guy is a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports