U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 160 85.11%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 28 14.89%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,252,425 times

Advertisements

Alright here we are.... Golf's Super Bowl... Masters Week!! If interested here's the link with the current Vegas odds to win the masters:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/golf/odds/futures/

Below are some I picked out of the list to share some thoughts:

Rory McLroy & Adam Scott (10-1) FAVORITES: Really no surprise here... especially with Tiger out these guys are next on the list. These are two of a handful of guys that can play this course blind-folded and should always finish in the Top 10 here.

Phil Mickelson (15-1): Like the above... he's one of those guys that can finish in Top-10 here blind-folded. However I was a little surprised that he mentioned in a press conference yesterday that he was actually "nervous" for this week. Probably nothing really to think about... but I think he'd be more nervous about the US Open since that's the one he truly wants so bad. Phil will certainly contend again... but he's got to stay away from those big numbers.

Jordan Speith (20-1): I think he's got a really good shot here. His game is suited for Augusta and he's shown us he can play on the big stage. First time playing here though so he'll be at a "disadvantage" when it comes to local knowledge but he's just so good.

Brandt Snedeker (25-1): Many other guys are playing better than him right now... I think he's closer to 40 or 50-1 odds. The one thing that made him so successful the past few years has been his putting and this year it's been his major flaw. If you've got a cold putter on these greens you don't stand a chance. I like him... hope I'm wrong... but I don't like his chances at all.

Harris English & Sergio Garcia (40-1): Both of these guys playing very good golf right now and English already has a victory this year to boot. Meanwhile Sergio has entered in 6 events and has finished no worse than 16th... he has four top-tens including a 3rd this past week in Houston. His mind finally seems right so far this year and the biggest improvement I've seen so far... his putting. I think he's finally got comfortable with that claw grip, don't be surprised to see him on the leaderboard.

Angel Cabrera (60-1): Remember this guy? He only comes to play in the majors... especially at Augusta. A win here in 2009 plus last years playoff loss to Adam Scott and another top ten here in 2011... yeah he loves this place.

Fred Couples (100-1): This guy is ageless when he comes back to Augusta... how many times in recent years has he been all over the Top 10 of the leaderboard even into Sunday? Never ever count Freddie out at Augusta!

You guys can click the link to see all the other players and their odds.... this week if I had to pick a Top 5 I'd choose in no particular order:

Adam Scott
Jordan Spieth
Sergio Garcia
Matt Kuchar
Jason Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
except for Day, who hasn't played much lately, all the other picks are very good.....substitute Rory for Day for me.

Last edited by BucFan; 04-07-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM

3,910 posts, read 7,543,356 times
Sort of a numbers way to look at it.

The 23 Players Who Can Win The Masters - GolfWRX

I'll be rooting for Dufner though.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Sort of a numbers way to look at it.

The 23 Players Who Can Win The Masters - GolfWRX

I'll be rooting for Dufner though.

Jason Sobel did a formula type things such like this when he was writing for ESPN... I'd bet he still does it now with the Golf Channel.

I think this year more than ever a first-timer has a real good shot, as there are so many good first-timers. However.... hard to bet against history.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM

THURSDAY

7:40 a.m.: Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus (honorary starters)

7:45 a.m.: Stewart Cink, Tim Clark

7:56 a.m.: Ian Woosnam, John Huh, Kevin Stadler

8:07 a.m.: Ben Crenshaw, Y.E. Yang, Jonas Blixt

8:18 a.m.: Mark O'Meara, Steven Bowditch, Jordan Niebrugge

8:29 a.m.: John Senden, Boo Weekley, David Lynn

8:40 a.m.: Craig Stadler, Scott Stallings, Martin Kaymer

8:51 a.m.: Tom Watson, Billy Horschel, Brendon de Jonge

9:02 a.m.: Mike Weir, Matt Every, Roberto Castro

9:13 a.m.: Angel Cabrera, Gary Woodland, Ian Poulter

9:24 a.m.: Fred Couples, Webb Simpson, Chang-woo Lee

9:35 a.m.: Graeme McDowell, Rickie Fowler, Jimmy Walker

9:57 a.m.: Zach Johnson, K.J. Choi, Steve Stricker

10:08 a.m.: Miguel Angel Jimenez, Bill Haas, Matteo Manassero

10:19 a.m.: Hideki Matsuyama, Brandt Snedeker, Jamie Donaldson

10:30 a.m.: Charl Schwartzel, Jim Furyk, Thorbjorn Olesen

10:41 a.m.: Adam Scott, Jason Dufner, Matthew Fitzpatrick

10:52 a.m.: Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Rory McIlroy

11:03 a.m.: Kevin Streelman, D.A. Points

11:14 a.m.: Larry Mize, Branden Grace, Michael McCoy

11:25 a.m.: Sandy Lyle, Matt Jones, Ken Duke

11:36 a.m. Jose Maria Olazabal, Lucas Glover, Garrick Porteous

11:47 a.m.: Nick Watney, Stephen Gallacher, Darren Clarke

12:09 p.m.: Vijay Singh, Thomas Bjorn, Ryan Moore

12:20 p.m.: Matt Kuchar, Louis Oosthuizen, Thongchai Jaidee

12:31 p.m.: Trevor Immelman, Graham DeLaet, Oliver Goss

12:42 p.m.: Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Derek Ernst, Sang-moon Bae

12:53 p.m.: Bernhard Langer, Francesco Molinari, Chris Kirk

1:04 p.m.: Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson

1:15 p.m.: Bubba Watson, Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia

1:26 p.m.: Joost Luiten, Marc Leishman, Hunter Mahan

1:37 p.m.: Keegan Bradley, Victor Dubuisson, Peter Hanson

1:48 p.m.: Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Justin Rose

1:59 p.m.: Harris English, Lee Westwood, Russell Henley

– Associated Press contributed

Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 AM

A couple of real good pairings here... some of my personal favorites:

Bubba-Donald-Garcia
Spieth-Reed-McIlroy
Mickelson-Els-Rose

I'm glad they didn't get suckered into pairing both Stadlers together.... probably wouldn't have been fair for Kevin. Enough pressure to perform well as it is let alone playing with your father who's a past Masters Champion himself.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Jason Sobel of the Golf Channel did an article with 12 bold predictions and ranking the ENTIRE field. If you'd like to read it click here... 2014 Masters - Bold Predictions, Ranking the Field | Golf Channel

Below is his Top 10:

1. Rory McIlroy: Fresh off a final-round 65 in Houston, on a course tailor-made for his game, McIlroy might be the rare favorite to win the green jacket. If he does, consider the consequences: He will be three-quarters of the way to a career Grand Slam … at age 24.

2. Sergio Garcia: Talk about trending in the right direction: In the last four years, he’s gone from 45th to 35th to 12th to eighth at this event. Oh, and those famous putting struggles? He ranks 32nd on Tour – and was eighth last year and 26th the year before that. He’s due.

3. Keegan Bradley: He’s been close without seriously contending, playing well without playing great. But hey, isn’t the whole idea to peak during the major championships instead of before them? Bradley seems primed to improve on last year’s disappointing finish.

4. Matt Kuchar: Failing to close out victories on each of the last two Sunday afternoons might not bode as a good omen for Kuchar, but he’s clearly trending in the right direction. He already has five top-10s in eight starts this year. Hard to imagine another isn’t coming this week.

5. Phil Mickelson: What happens when you win a green jacket? It makes the next one easier. And the one after that even easier. For a guy who normally plays with a nothing-to-lose attitude anyway, this has only increased at Augusta. Oh, and all of his wins? They’ve come in even-numbered years.

6. Jason Day: Here’s a good rule of, uh, thumb before the Masters: Don’t injure your thumb ahead of time. Not because it will hamper your performance, but because you’ll be asked endless questions about it. As for the answer? He’s fine – and he absolutely loves this course.

7. Harris English: Ask around PGA Tour circles and you’ll find that while Patrick Reed is the guy who says he’s a top-five player, English is the one who everyone else says is a (potential) top-five player. He owns the proper patience and mental makeup to play very well this week.

8. Adam Scott: The defending champion isn’t just confident this week, he truly believes he’ll be taking his green jacket back down Magnolia Lane again Sunday night. He would have some lofty company. Only Nicklaus, Faldo and Woods have won back-to-back Masters titles.

9. Henrik Stenson: Six months ago, the question wasn’t whether he’d win a major this year, but how many. Last year’s FedEx Cup champion has cooled off a bit, but that doesn’t mean he can’t make a good run this week. He’s considered among the game’s best ball-strikers – and this is considered a second-shot golf course.

10. Patrick Reed: Say what you will about his confidence, but it sure won’t hurt him having loads of it this week. Also helping is the fact that he owns a high draw ball flight. “Go out and play your game, stick to your game plan, and that seems to be working for me,” he said. “I'm going to try to do that this week.”

Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 AM

Also... if you're itching to watch as much Masters coverage as possible Masters.com is your one stop shop!!

Live - 2014 Masters Tournament

Today

LIVE NOW until 11AM ET - Live on the Range

3PM - Par 3 Contest - or tune into ESPN

Tomorrow & Friday

Amen Corner - Coverage begins at 10:45AM
15th & 16th holes - Coverage begins at 11:45AM
2 Featured Groups - Coverage begins 12PM

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM

had the live stream on from the range and it was very good - can't get enough of the streams - last year I was practically in the vegetative state watching the internet, TV coverage etc - don't think I left the house all week....and I'm starting to see the same trend for me this year.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
had the live stream on from the range and it was very good - can't get enough of the streams - last year I was practically in the vegetative state watching the internet, TV coverage etc - don't think I left the house all week....and I'm starting to see the same trend for me this year.
Yeah I was watching too.. the quality is great and it's fun to watch how these guys practice and their routines. I like the interviews too.... I'm looking forward to the Par 3 contest today! That's always fun to watch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports