Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Golf (Video NYT explains why the restoration of the course). It takes getting use to - but it had been restored to what the original architect had designed this historical course to look like. Saves nearly 75% water use and chemical use, or there about. Heard all kinds of positives from Euro golfers since it was restored to courses similar to what you'd see on links courses in England/Ireland.....Donald Ross is Scottish immigrant and brought course architecture rooted from English courses.

Congrats to Martin Kaymer. I was afraid that he was going to crumble under the pressure. Great wire to wire win.

Yeah I am cool with the changes from rough to natural sand/scruff. I was referring to the brown patches in the fairway. But I tell you what, they should never host a US Open at Pinehurst #2 again.

What makes the US Open the US Open is the rough. If you miss a fairway you are supposed to pay a very big price, often hitting wedge back into play. Kaymer was missing fairways all weekend, then hitting it to 20 feet from the scruff. That should not happen at a US Open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
The course seemed penal enough for the rest of the field who barely could break par - only three players were under par for the week, including the winner.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:41 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I am cool with the changes from rough to natural sand/scruff. I was referring to the brown patches in the fairway. But I tell you what, they should never host a US Open at Pinehurst #2 again.

What makes the US Open the US Open is the rough. If you miss a fairway you are supposed to pay a very big price, often hitting wedge back into play. Kaymer was missing fairways all weekend, then hitting it to 20 feet from the scruff. That should not happen at a US Open.
I also saw him (and a bunch of others) putt of the green a few times. And his GIR wasn't something to write home about (which is why you saw him chipping with his putter a lot during the weekend). But the bottom line is that everyone was playing the same course. And as Buc said, the score (aside from Kaymer) was about right for an US Open. He simply dominated - like Woods in 2000 and Rory in 2011.

Had everyone in the top 20 been in the red, then you may have a point.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Looks like the Women's scores are also higher than a usual tour stop - only Michelle Wie, the leader, is under par with just a few holes to play.

Some might argue that the condition of Pinehurst #2 is how golf was originally designed (by Donald Ross) to play. Adding acres of artificial Bermuda grass over the last several decades made it into a course that he didn't design. For golf history, I think it was a good move and happy to see that the USGA had selected the course.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Nice win by Michelle Wie - haven't been a fan for some reason, probably because she's been the TW of her generation and the PGA tour stuff that she did while not winning the big one on her own tour.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nice win by Michelle Wie - haven't been a fan for some reason, probably because she's been the TW of her generation and the PGA tour stuff that she did while not winning the big one on her own tour.
I think all the attempts to play on the PGA, and that suspect WD to avoid the '88' rule didn't really help her much. I was also not a big fan, until she decided to go to Stanford (and graduated). The fact that she continued on despite all the nay-sayers made me somewhat of a fan.

Like her or not - you have to give the KID a lot of respect for persevering through all of that and still was able to finally accomplish what she has. Sure a lot of these can be considered "first world" problems, but many people would simply not have survived that media pressure/scrutiny for just a short while; let alone half their lives.

The key here is whether this simply becomes the pinnacle of her fish bowl career, or the beginning of a truly great one.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Who will win the Tiger Woods Invitational this weekend?...

I'll go with Hunter Mahan... only because he's on my fantasy team and he's been disappointing for me all year and dammit he needs to start playing!! lol

Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 AM

Once again, for some reason - the LPGA is getting my attention more than the PGA. I'm wondering if they're simply focusing too much on one man. I know its Tiger's tournament, but I had to sift through a bunch of "Tiger misses cut" headlines before I was able to find out that four are tied on top of the leaderboard.

And of course, I can read about Woods round in-depth on PGA Tour's website... but not any of the leaders. Yes, I understand he's is the #1 draw for golf (the impact he has is pretty much what Jordan had on the NBA), but I can certainly see why people can get overloaded on this guy and start disliking him (thanks more to the media than anything he does).

Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Gary D'Amato - One more round of golf with dad a walk of memories

Pretty good article!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/07/...s-pgatour.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports