Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,489,598 times

Advertisements

Would you rather lose by 30 (in the NBA or NFL for example, or by 5 in the NHL), OR, lose by 1 point on a last second field goal (NBA or NFL) or a last second goal in hockey or soccer?

If you get blown out, there is some relief that no matter what you did, you couldn't win; you lost to a better team; it is clear cut - hats off to them.

If you lose by one, there are always doubts, "If I only made that one shot", "if I only made a better pass - just one more pass, just one more shot", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,672,695 times
My answer is 'how did the team play the rest of the game?' The Magic overcame double digit deficits; the Cavs lost double digit leads. This time the 'come-from-behind' team didn't win. Too bad.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
My answer is 'how did the team play the rest of the game?' The Magic overcame double digit deficits; the Cavs lost double digit leads. This time the 'come-from-behind' team didn't win. Too bad.

Your answer isn't valid. You didn't answer the question.

Here are four possible answers:

Losing by a lot,
losing by 1,
I don't know,
both the same.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:51 PM

10,168 posts, read 20,718,147 times
I'd rather my team lose in a close game. When the Giants lost to the Patriots in the last game of the season, I was still proud of them. They played hard when they had nothing to gain (they were already in the playoffs) and were up against a team that was undefeated. They lost 38-35, but played their hearts out risking injury to starters rather than sit them out and save them for the post season. It was because of that game I wondered why so many Pats fans went into that game with so much confidence, as though the Giants were just a formality on the way to a perfect season.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'd rather my team lose in a close game. When the Giants lost to the Patriots in the last game of the season, I was still proud of them. They played hard when they had nothing to gain (they were already in the playoffs) and were up against a team that was undefeated. They lost 38-35, but played their hearts out risking injury to starters rather than sit them out and save them for the post season. It was because of that game I wondered why so many Pats fans went into that game with so much confidence, as though the Giants were just a formality on the way to a perfect season.
You never hear the word "heart breaker" associated with a blowout.

I would get more satisfaction winning a close game than winning a blow out.

Someone once said "Losing hurts more than winning feels good."

Old 05-24-2009, 04:54 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,919,045 times
I would rather my team get beat by 1, than getting killed. Close games going down to the wire are always the best ones. With that being said, I'd love to have my team up by 30 at halftime.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,837,820 times
To me it's way more heartbreaking to lose by one. You almost had it but got denied. If you lose by a ton, you know you had no chance in the world a long time ago so there is no painful shock.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
I would rather my team get beat by 1, than getting killed. Close games going down to the wire are always the best ones. With that being said, I'd love to have my team up by 30 at halftime.
I would agree with this if I was neutral on both teams. Yes, close games are more entertaining. But if it is my team, then I hate losing by one.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,919,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would agree with this if I was neutral on both teams. Yes, close games are more entertaining. But if it is my team, then I hate losing by one.
I would rather my team be competitive, than to have them get blown out and know they didn't even have a chance. But I do see what you are saying.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:27 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,272,980 times
I am a Red Sox Fan. I go back to the 2003 ALCS, I emotionally drained watch Tim Wakefield throw a very bad knuckleball thats got deposited in the upper deck, we lost by one run. It's hard to describe the feeling, I would say being kicked in the grapes but thats only half of it.

In the 2004 ALCS in game 3 we lost 19-8 to the Yanks. I like most thought the seires was over but was emotionally killed like last time, I was PISSED.

WIth close losses you look at everything and say ifonly this, maybe we could have won. In blow out it seems it's like we had no chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports