U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 03:06 PM

6,941 posts, read 7,957,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
We've done this before but Jeff Van Gundy is the worst, IMO. He adds no interesting commentary, makes useless and unfunny jokes, and shouts in a high voice to get his worthless point across. What's worse is that most people actually like his commentary.

Joe Buck is as dull as an old steak knife, and his MLB on Fox partner, McCarver is just a broken record.
I still think this but I'm also liking Mike Breen (NBA on ABC) less and less.

Bang!
Puts it up, puts it in!

Ugh. Would rather have Marv Albert doing the Finals.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,423,933 times
I think American sports has been in an announcing crisis for some time now.

The best announcers we've ever had were the old time baseball guys. Vin Scully is the only one left. He's 85 years old and still a boss when it comes to calling a baseball game. No matter what city you are in you likely had your own legend in the booth. Some that come to mind are Ernie Hallwell, Jack Buck, herb Carneal, Harry Kalas.

I can't listen to baseball games when they are on FOX. They do such a horrible job with the game and the announcers are buffoons. Joe Buck acts like he doesn't want to be there. The color commentators they pair with the announcers are hopeless chatterboxes that won't shut up. But what really ticks me off about FOX (espn does this too now) is the frickin interview of players and managers during the game. This is a disgrace.

Baseball and soccer are really the only sports I follow. American soccer announcers are really hopeless. I've never heard a good one. Maybe Gus Johnson will catch on. He seems to understand that you have to let the game breathe a little and that you don't have to talk constantly. But his knowledge of the game needs work.

I used to watch Laker games just because of Chick Hearn. It goes without saying that he was a legend. He was so good that he could actually get people who really don't like the sport of basketball to tune in.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM

8,127 posts, read 5,702,064 times
I dislike almost all of them. I dislike everyone on Sportscenter to a person because they are most concerned with getting their stupid catch-phrases on the air. The guy who calls the Yankees games is the absolute worst about hte catch-phrases.

Joe Morgan was terrible when he called baseball games for ESPN. He would ramble about things that made no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Joe Buck acts like he doesn't want to be there.
I'm 99% certain that Joe Buck doesn't want to be doing baseball commentary. I don't know why he is doing it (for his dad, Fox forces him to if he wants to do football, etc.), but he clearly has minimal interest in calling baseball games.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:11 PM

4,638 posts, read 3,731,822 times
RIGHT NOW, I am watching Alabama play A&M with the sound turned off.
I realized that what makes Verne Lundquist the worst announcer in the world is that he is too senile to really understand what is happening, so he just repeats the same Mindless chatter, talking constantly without really saying anything of importance or interest. And this gets old by the second down of the game. He seems to have gotten worse, maybe the Alzheimer's is progressing, but he still repeats the same cliches that he has used since the 1970s and acts like he cannot see what's even happening. I know older people suffer from cataracts and all, but there comes a time when we ask our elderly people not to drive anymore. maybe ABC or CBS or whoever this is I am watching in silence needs to ask Verne Lunquist not to broadcast anymore being that he is not only verbally impaired but visually so as well. (He can still umpire high school football regardless)

I was talking to my mom about Verne Lundquist and I said "Talk about someone who needs to retire" but for some reason, instead of "retire", the word "DIE" slipped out ...... So Take Your Pick, Verne: Retire, Die or just go away into football oblivion. But do something so we can get a good announcer back into the games on Saturday in your place.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 PM

79 posts, read 321,556 times
Mike Goldberg from the UFC---- he sounds more like a WWE announcer, everything he says he states the obvious, " that looks like it hurts, nice kick, will he get back from that?" If you watch boxing they are more specific with the details of what is going on, this guy shouldn't be in the UFC, Joe Rogan is good. The person who should replace Mike Goldberg is Bas Rutten.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 6,300 times
I would probably say Jon Grudden

Old 09-19-2013, 03:52 PM

4,199 posts, read 2,026,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
He is good to listen to if you want to fall asleep
I'll disagree with you on this, Lundquist, makes the game exciting with Gary Danielson, Clark Kellogg, Bill Raftery, or whoever. At least after week three, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, in which they are calling the Packers-Bengal game, their first Packer interconference regular season game since 2009 against the Steelers, will not call another Packer game until at least week 10.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM

4,199 posts, read 2,026,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
RIGHT NOW, I am watching Alabama play A&M with the sound turned off.
I realized that what makes Verne Lundquist the worst announcer in the world is that he is too senile to really understand what is happening, so he just repeats the same Mindless chatter, talking constantly without really saying anything of importance or interest. And this gets old by the second down of the game. He seems to have gotten worse, maybe the Alzheimer's is progressing, but he still repeats the same cliches that he has used since the 1970s and acts like he cannot see what's even happening. I know older people suffer from cataracts and all, but there comes a time when we ask our elderly people not to drive anymore. maybe ABC or CBS or whoever this is I am watching in silence needs to ask Verne Lunquist not to broadcast anymore being that he is not only verbally impaired but visually so as well. (He can still umpire high school football regardless)

I was talking to my mom about Verne Lundquist and I said "Talk about someone who needs to retire" but for some reason, instead of "retire", the word "DIE" slipped out ...... So Take Your Pick, Verne: Retire, Die or just go away into football oblivion. But do something so we can get a good announcer back into the games on Saturday in your place.
Would you please stop making comments like that? I'm sure this will make Lundquist upset.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM

889 posts, read 1,464,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek13756 View Post
I would probably say Jon Grudden
I like Gruden. He doesn't dumb the game down to the lowest possible level, but explains what he sees in a way that is understandable. That is severely lacking today.

The worst has to be Ken Harrelson of the White Sox, with John Sterling of the Yankees a close 2nd. Dan Dierdorf, Tim McCarver and Dick Vitale also comes to mind.

They need to find a way to clone Vin Scully for future generations.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM

4,935 posts, read 2,015,901 times
The guys on NFL network games. Mayock or whatever is particularly awful. He kills Thursday night NFL. Ugh. How can they not find someone better? Makes no sense. I've never even heard of the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports