Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:39 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times

Advertisements

I only like NBA and NFL, other than that I don't care for most sports. I'm also an avid watcher of powerlifting and strongman athletic events (since that's what I want to go into eventually).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Well, football (American football that is) season ended and right after that, all the Neanderthals go on and on about "March Madness"... From one sports season, to another. Me? I am a man, I like women, but, for the life on me, I cannot understand the intense interest men have for sports.

I mean, what is with the whole hooting and hollering over some steroid addict who just got out of jail scoring a point over another steroid addict who also just got out of jail? The time and energy these guys invest in watching other men in an athletic activity really is amazing.

I have never, ever, been interested in sports. As a kid, I never played them save for a few times I was forced to in gym class. I was never really athletic, mostly fit, yes, but not an athlete and I never had any real interest in being one in the traditional, American sense of the word. But, at times, I feel like I am the only heterosexual man of that opinion.

The way these guys get so invested in sports...saying "our defense" and "our draft picks" "ours?" I hate to break it to you guys, but you did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to to help the team and it is no baring on your day to day life if "your" team wins or not.

I have even seen Yankees and Red Sox fans (I live in Jersey, were "da' Yankees!" are the local faves) even actually fighting in a bar ones...when I say "fighting", I mean, literally, like chairs flying and fist in the faces! What the heck!? IT IS A STUPID GAME! WHY HAVE SUCH AN INVESTMENT IN IT AS TO GET INTO PHYSICAL VIOLENCE OVER WHO LIKES WHAT TEAM?!

And then there's the whole "Fantasy" thing. Okay, I have nothing against it personally, but why ohh why do these guys HAVE THE NERVE to make fun of my playing Dungeons and Dragons, and then go ahead and make a "fantasy Football team?"

That is another thing: Why is it that if a man watches Star Trek and maybe once in his lifetime goes to a convention or if a guy reads comic books every now and again, he is considered a "nerd" , BUT, if a guy ABSOLUTELY HAS TO watch all of "his" team's games and has to see them live and has to have the season tickets, he isn't?

I am sorry, but the fellow who know every name of every man who ever played on his favorite team is just as big a nerd as the man who can name all the members of the X-Men! There are Star Trek nerds, comic nerds, fantasy nerds, and also, FOOTBALL NERDS AND BASEBALL NERDS!

So, I do not get sports, and some times, I feel like I am the only straight man on Earth who feels that way. Am I alone?

EDIT: Note that I mean "sports" in the traditional American, ball-playing way. I do like Judo and hope to, in the near future, take classes in Kendo (Japanese Fencing). But it's the whole watching it on television while screaming at the screen that I do not, for the life of me, understand.
LMAO! I love it!
You are referring to what is known as stick & ball sports.
I only follow two sports, stock car racing & college basketball, and very loosely at that.
Yeah and I love that "we" crap too.
We won!!
Really?
Where's your championship ring?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I have to admit the sound of baseball on an am radio reminds me of when I was about four or five years old hanging out with my dad and his brothers,
I detest major league baseball, however I do enjoy attending the minor league games as they are just bad enough to keep it interesting.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
Nerds...Jocks.....Same difference, only the degree of insanity varies.

Everyone has SOMETHING they're really into, that only they can relate to in ways others can't. If I were you, I'd care and worry less about the FANatics.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Well, football (American football that is) season ended and right after that, all the Neanderthals go on and on about "March Madness"... From one sports season, to another. Me? I am a man, I like women, but, for the life on me, I cannot understand the intense interest men have for sports.
Do you not have an interest or hobby you are into? People have things they are passionate about. For some people that is sports, for others it is something different.

I think live would be boring without a hobby or interest that you truly care about.

Quote:
I mean, what is with the whole hooting and hollering over some steroid addict who just got out of jail scoring a point over another steroid addict who also just got out of jail? The time and energy these guys invest in watching other men in an athletic activity really is amazing.
That's an unfair characterization. When it comes down to it, probably less than 1% of professional athletes get into legal trouble. You only think it is more because it is so publicized when they do. You rarely hear about all the good things athletes do like spend hours and hours at charity events and donate thousands to charities. That happens a lot more than athletes getting arrested.

Quote:
I have never, ever, been interested in sports. As a kid, I never played them save for a few times I was forced to in gym class. I was never really athletic, mostly fit, yes, but not an athlete and I never had any real interest in being one in the traditional, American sense of the word. But, at times, I feel like I am the only heterosexual man of that opinion.
I know about 4 types of guys. Those that are into sports, those that are into cars, those that are into MMA, and those that into other stuff like computers.

Sports is probably the most common. I think that is because men are just competitive by nature.

Quote:
The way these guys get so invested in sports...saying "our defense" and "our draft picks" "ours?" I hate to break it to you guys, but you did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to to help the team and it is no baring on your day to day life if "your" team wins or not.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING? You can't be serious. Try telling that to someone that shells out several hundred dollars to teams each year for tickets, shirts, concessions, parking, and more.

Who do you think are the paying customers that allow these teams to operate? Fans do the most out of everyone because without the fans, these teams would not exist.

Quote:
I have even seen Yankees and Red Sox fans (I live in Jersey, were "da' Yankees!" are the local faves) even actually fighting in a bar ones...when I say "fighting", I mean, literally, like chairs flying and fist in the faces! What the heck!? IT IS A STUPID GAME! WHY HAVE SUCH AN INVESTMENT IN IT AS TO GET INTO PHYSICAL VIOLENCE OVER WHO LIKES WHAT TEAM?!
What may be stupid to you is not stupid to others. I am sure there are people out there that think your interest are stupid.

Not to mention you said you were into judo which is physical violence.

Quote:
And then there's the whole "Fantasy" thing. Okay, I have nothing against it personally, but why ohh why do these guys HAVE THE NERVE to make fun of my playing Dungeons and Dragons, and then go ahead and make a "fantasy Football team?"
Why do you have the nerve knocking sports fans with this thread?

It's because people make fun of people that are different than them.

Quote:
That is another thing: Why is it that if a man watches Star Trek and maybe once in his lifetime goes to a convention or if a guy reads comic books every now and again, he is considered a "nerd" , BUT, if a guy ABSOLUTELY HAS TO watch all of "his" team's games and has to see them live and has to have the season tickets, he isn't?
Because Star Trek fans are nerds. I have a couple of friends who are and they openly admit it.

Quote:
I am sorry, but the fellow who know every name of every man who ever played on his favorite team is just as big a nerd as the man who can name all the members of the X-Men! There are Star Trek nerds, comic nerds, fantasy nerds, and also, FOOTBALL NERDS AND BASEBALL NERDS!
The correct term would be fanatics.

Quote:
So, I do not get sports, and some times, I feel like I am the only straight man on Earth who feels that way. Am I alone?
You may be in the minority but you are not alone.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I too hate most every sport, except baseball and football. Not really into any college sports because it seems unless you are a fan of one of the really stupid schools, their players leave after four years and then you have to learn new players.

I do like college hockey tho because there's no pretension on the academic level of those players and pro hockey is just an extension of that so I like pro hockey too. I do think it's a bit over the top to have some of their teeth removed just for the nasty look.

I do like auto racing, golf, bog snorkeling, alpine skiing, buzkashi, tennis, volleyball, shin kicking, track & field events and running in circles while screaming your head off, but that's the end of my tolerance for this sports nonsense!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Yes

Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Yes
Yep.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 31,687 times
I am super macho dude but i have no regard for sports or those who associate themselves with sports. if you look at sports history as starting with the olympic games, the purpose was to provide an alternative to spartan war and decimation of the more wimpy greeks. but that doesnt make sublimated murder a good thing.

popular sports (football, basketball, hockey, soccer) are by their very nature stupid activities. why would a grown man or woman kick a helpless piece of leather and then try to run around a field with it? what harm did the pigskin ever do to them? and why should anyone in their right mind chase this jerk with the leather in his hand? why would mature adults want to waste their time grappling for a globe of leather and hopping around like crippled fleas? if you look at sports with any manner of objectivity, they are clearly absurd.

furthermore, sports are basically autistic and selfish endeavors. what are sports doing to make our earth a better place? how are sports benefitting the myriad creatures? how are sports contributing to the advance of human culture and the spread of enlightenment? they arent-- its just a bunch of selfish jerks aggrandizing themselves because they can muscle somebody else around? everyone's blood is red.

why wouldnt we have heros who are remarkeable for being intelligent, better problem solvers, more compassionate, more proactive or more enlightened? can anyone see where this is going? russian factory workers used to play chess on their lunch breaks-- most americans aren't even bright enough to figure out what chess pieces do. what kind of message are we sending to our children with sports preoccupations? parents tell me they think the learning part of language arts, history, math, and science in school is optional. instead they pressure their kids to excell at soccer or football, instead of studying and learning. they decide that crippling injuries (I have them from playing football, etc.) are well worth the price of shallow, superficial, brainless aggrandizement of genetic oafs.

ultimately, our culture is driven forward by the willingness of individuals to work hard at their occupation and work hard at improving themselves. ultimately, self improvement will benefit from art, music, religious practice, meditation, prayer, martial arts, and other-centered activities that benefit the world at large. this is what will allow humans to survive and improve themselves without destroying the earth around them, if anything can.

O else trow me duh fuggn ball.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatochi View Post
I am super macho dude
A super macho dude does not post what you just posted. These are the words of a literally geek. I dont have a problem with literally geeks but I have to call shenanigans on you being super macho.

Quote:
popular sports (football, basketball, hockey, soccer) are by their very nature stupid activities. why would a grown man or woman kick a helpless piece of leather and then try to run around a field with it? what harm did the pigskin ever do to them? and why should anyone in their right mind chase this jerk with the leather in his hand? why would mature adults want to waste their time grappling for a globe of leather and hopping around like crippled fleas? if you look at sports with any manner of objectivity, they are clearly absurd.

furthermore, sports are basically autistic and selfish endeavors. what are sports doing to make our earth a better place? how are sports benefitting the myriad creatures? how are sports contributing to the advance of human culture and the spread of enlightenment? they arent-- its just a bunch of selfish jerks aggrandizing themselves because they can muscle somebody else around? everyone's blood is red.

Do you not think that physical activities are good for people's bodies? Do you not think it is good for humans to have fun? Do you not think it is good for people to be entertained?

Sports have a lot of meaning and being that it is a trillion dollar business worldwide, I think that has been proven. Sports are an important source of exercise which is definitely important to people. I dont think you can argue against that. Next, fun is important to people as it provides happiness and that is vital to our mental health. Lastly, entertainment is an important function. It's no different than using the internet, reading a book, or watching a movie.

Sports also provide valuable lessons in teamwork, learning more about yourself, accomplishment, and self esteem.

Quote:
why wouldnt we have heros who are remarkeable for being intelligent, better problem solvers, more compassionate, more proactive or more enlightened?
Since when did we not have those types of heros?

Quote:
can anyone see where this is going?
Yes, you were a complete failure at sports as a child and not spite it because of that.

Quote:
Am I close? russian factory workers used to play chess on their lunch breaks-- most americans aren't even bright enough to figure out what chess pieces do.
You support chess yet you dont support sports? How is chess any different? Chess is a game just like most sports. It just doesnt involve the physical activity.

Most everyone I know knows how to play chess. My 7 year old can play chess. Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Quote:
what kind of message are we sending to our children with sports preoccupations
That keeping your body in good physical condition is vital to your health and living a long happy life. That having fun with your friends is important. That accomplishment and pushing your mind and body to new limits will help you grow as a person?

Should I go on?

Quote:
parents tell me they think the learning part of language arts, history, math, and science in school is optional. instead they pressure their kids to excell at soccer or football, instead of studying and learning. they decide that crippling injuries (I have them from playing football, etc.) are well worth the price of shallow, superficial, brainless aggrandizement of genetic oafs.
Your judging an entire society people based on a few bad parent's actions? That's fair.

Quote:
ultimately, our culture is driven forward by the willingness of individuals to work hard at their occupation and work hard at improving themselves. ultimately, self improvement will benefit from art, music, religious practice, meditation, prayer, martial arts, and other-centered activities that benefit the world at large. this is what will allow humans to survive and improve themselves without destroying the earth around them, if anything can.

O else trow me duh fuggn ball.
Religion has been the basis for about every war started since the beginning of time.

Martial arts is no different than sports. It is a competition involving physical activity which is sports in a nutshell.

Sports is a means of improving themselves. I have seen people that are morbidly obese get involved in sports and it saved their lives. It improved their health, their self esteem and helped them grow as a person.

Sports can be just as positive in society and an individuals life as anything else can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports