U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,244,390 times

Advertisements

Pretty straight-forward question. In your opinion, is the NHL a top league on par with MLB, the NFL, and the NBA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,118,570 times
No. The main reason is that hockey is a very regional sport. The region it is most popular is of course Canada, and the northern US cities like Boston, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit. Also, hockey is either loved or not cared for much at all. People that are fans of game are crazy about it, but those that aren't could care less. With football, some people may not be crazy about it, but on Sunday or Saturday may turn a game on anyway just to watch. No one does that to hockey. A fan will watch a game, but someone who is not fan won't put a game on for the hell of it. Don't believe me? Hockey has gone from ESPN, to NBC, and now to the VS network because the ratings are horrible. Sure the strike a few years ago didn't help, but the NFL endured a strike in the 80's and look at their TV numbers. You compared it to the MLB. The MLB is more popular than hockey even while loosing popularity big time. Young people don't watch baseball. Even baseball is regional to an extent. The game is much more popular in a city like St Louis, New York, or Boston, than Tampa Bay or Houston. Name one place the NFL isn't popular. College football is popular everywhere with the exception of New England, but it is gaining ground there. I don't see the NHL turning around either. The NHL doesn't have a household name like LeBron or Peyton Manning. Those are my reasons.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM

897 posts, read 1,416,114 times
I would say no,they don't have a national tv contract.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,936,932 times
Yes.... Of course, MLB and NFL are hugely popular. But, I dont know anyone who will admit to being an NBA fan. Lots of NHL fans here in Indiana.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 PM

3,626 posts, read 8,393,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Yes.... Of course, MLB and NFL are hugely popular. But, I dont know anyone who will admit to being an NBA fan. Lots of NHL fans here in Indiana.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,244,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
No disrespect, but Indiana is a basketball hotbed, with an NBA team. I don't know how what you're saying could possibly be true.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,490,760 times
I consider the 5 major sports leagues to be like this:

NFL and MLB are on the same level.

NBA is way back behind them.

After that NHL and MLS are sitting there. The MLS is growing quickly and their exposure, sponsorship, attendance, and every other aspect is growing and growing fast. In fact, they are growing at a faster pace than any other US sports league has ever done.

I believe that MLS has already passed NHL and I think it will eventually pass the NBA. I dont think any league will ever catch the NFL or MLB but it could come close someday.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,742,038 times
Hockey is growing. A lot of small cities in the South have added minor league hockey teams and those have really taken off. Very popular. We've got one in Knoxville, a lot of small cities in Georgia have one. It's even gotten to the point that the SEC has added hockey. They're non-scholarship teams, but still. Hockey in the SEC???
SEC a power in football, hoops and ... hockey? - Other sports- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Old 04-20-2010, 12:47 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,857,638 times
hockey is growing and as much as I love the game, it's very much a niche sport

they have tried to run it like one which has created issues - but some eventual good can come from that and the revenue has increased

so instead of being a regional game with a tremendous loyal, but limited range it's turning into a regional game with a more spread out and spread thin presence with a thinner but broader appeal

i think they have a lot of good things going right now - their labor agreement is solid, the new technology in broadcasting makes showing games much better and allows them to broadcast the game closer to how you would broadcast something like basketball, they are adding marquee events (winter classic to go with the playoffs), some of the traditional larger market teams are becoming competative again (chicago, boston)

there are still some concerns with ownership groups, stadiums, tv contracts and a lot of other areas that bettman fumbled - but all in all there is a really good foundation to build off

Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,936,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
No disrespect, but Indiana is a basketball hotbed, with an NBA team. I don't know how what you're saying could possibly be true.
Yes, it is a basketball hotbed. High school and college. But, very few people care about the NBA here. In fact, I just read somewhere that the Pacers are looking to move due to low attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or