Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Geographically Texas makes no sense at all. I could see Missouri being a possibility since it technically is in the Midwest.

With Texas aligning itself with a northern conference, us Okies/Sooner Fans just won't know what to do with ourselves. Also, I just don't know of ANY Texans that would want to join the Big10. Traveling that far would be out of the question.

Sorry, there is absolutely no way that Texas would become part of the Big 10+1.
Then you may not know many Texas fans. Because Texas fans do indeed want to join the Big 10 or either the Pac 10. It's a common discussion on orangebloods, shaggybevo, and hornfans. Texas fans are not interested in the Big 12 anymore nor are they every interested in joining the SEC. I think there will be major conference changes within the next 10 years and Texas and Texas A&M are headed west.

Here's a thread on this, Bass. It's only two pages long but the 2nd page should open your eyes (and disgust you if you feel that way).
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwth...b=5&o=0&fpart=

Last edited by Spade; 04-27-2010 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
Adding UConn to the Big 10 really won't suddenly make college football popular in New England. NE is very much pro sports oriented - BC has had a decent football program for a long time and they can't seem to draw at all. I know in living 20+ years in NE, I couldn't get anyone to go to a BC game with me (even if I paid for the ticket)

Also - who in the Big 10 would be UConn's "rival", so to speak.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Then you may not know many Texas fans. Because Texas fans do indeed want to join the Big 10 or either the Pac 10. It's a common discussion on orangebloods, shaggybevo, and hornfans. Texas fans are not interested in the Big 12 anymore nor are they every interested in joining the SEC. I think there will be major conference changes within the next 10 years and Texas and Texas A&M are headed west.

Here's a thread on this, Bass. It's only two pages long but the 2nd page should open your eyes (and disgust you if you feel that way).
Conference realignment ?
Interesting perspective. Thanks for the link, BTW.

Yeh, I can honestly say of the Longhorn fans that I know (I live in North Texas....obviously not as heavily saturated Longhorn territory as Austin/Houston/San Antonio) they do not want to join the Big 10. I have heard more acceptance/consideration with the Pac 10 in this regard....I still think it's a longshot for either conference, however.

I just think it kind of undermines the uniqueness that Texas has as a state university....there is a nostalgia to all of Texas if you know what I mean. Busting up the conferences and removing any semblance of geographic/cultural affiliation seems odd and removes some of the important distinctives that comprise football in the South-Central (OK/TX).

Just my opinion. Also based on the opinions of the Longhorn fans that I know here in North Texas.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-30-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
The Big 10 would love to have Texas but I'm not sure it makes much geographic sense. They are looking to grow TV revenue so basically big markets are what they're after.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
Irish or bust.

Mizzou prolly would make most sense out of Big 12 teams but would STL really bring in that much extra money?

Pitt makes sense because they could at least compete in football.

But Rutgers? Attention from New Jerseyans seem tenious for the team.

Syracuse? I think people in Upstate New York would enjoy it for football (seems like big Orange culture up there) but not for basketball.

Neither are going to give em NYC, people have to stop falling for that. UConn can't even deliver the heavily populated gold coast region thats part of the NYC area.

Again, Irish or bust. And like some one else on another site said, if it were anyone other than a big fish like ND, would they REALLY need to take this long?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I think Texas fans are split on the Big 10 and Pac 10. Most want nothing to do with the SEC and most want to leave the Big 12.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
UConn to the Big 10?

I'll bet every women's basketball coach in the Big 10 are pulling their hair out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports