Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Let me just answer all of that in the simplest way possible....

PEOPLE HAVE THEIR OWN PREFERENCES.

Ya know? People don't have to like soccer just the same way people don't have to like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, auto racing, or any other sport.

Simple as that.

Just not into soccer...big baseball and football fan here but not into hockey or basketball because it just doesn't interest me. It's not like those of us that aren't into soccer bash the game or anything so don't think the reasons you've listed are the only reasons for not watching the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
I just cannot get into that game. I've tried, but for whatever reason I get bored and move on.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
As I am a sports fanatic, I am not going to argue with you on your response but I am truly curious to know why, if you generally like sports but don't like soccer...why not?

I know the most common reasons are:

1) It's boring.
Sure, when you hear about 0-0 ties it sounds boring but have you watched it? Believe me, I've seen some pretty exciting 0-0 games and unlike most other sports, soccer players are always moving. You don't see stoppage of play like you do in other sports.

2) I don't understand it.
Did you try to watch it? No matter which sport you follow I'm sure you didn't come out of your mothers womb knowing all about it. Somebody had to teach you.

3) It's hard to follow.
It's a big ball. Unlike a hockey puck.

4) It's un-American
True, true, true. But in reality the only sport that is "American made" is basketball. All the others have been "Americanized" from other sports.
Football=Rugby
Baseball=Cricket

So, just curious to know why don't you like soccer?
Where I'm from in the South-Central (Oklahoma/Texas) soccer is considered the "left-over" sport. All the guys that can't make the football, baseball, or basketball teams play soccer.

I will say that girls that play soccer (along with female runners/track athletes) are far and away the best lookin' girls around.
*takes cold shower* hahaha

Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Chances are you have never even taken the time to learn the game.

I have had several friends state similar things. I then took them to a Kansas City Wizards game, taught them the game, and now they love it. A couple of them are even season ticket holders now.

I dont think anyone that truly appreciates sports and athleticism can hate soccer. You may not prefer it over other sports but if you actually learned the game, there is no way you could hate it is you truly appreciate sport and athleticism.
I know about the game and I think it blows big time.
The violent "fans" are criminals....what's to like about that "soccer"?
Nothing at all.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Where I'm from in the South-Central (Oklahoma/Texas) soccer is considered the "left-over" sport. All the guys that can't make the football, baseball, or basketball teams play soccer.

The ironic thing about that statement is that it is actually the opposite. Soccer players are generally in far better physical shape than players in any of those sports.

Where I went to school, the coaches of the football team would threaten to send the players to soccer practice when they were acting up. Guess what? They straightened up real quick because they knew they wouldnt be able to keep up.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Nothing at all.
Almost the entire world disagrees with you.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The ironic thing about that statement is that it is actually the opposite. Soccer players are generally in far better physical shape than players in any of those sports.

Where I went to school, the coaches of the football team would threaten to send the players to soccer practice when they were acting up. Guess what? They straightened up real quick because they knew they wouldnt be able to keep up.
I never said that soccer players did not have excellent stamina, or that they are not in good shape, and that they are not good athletes. I know soccer players are all these things.

The bottom line is (at least where I grew up in Oklahoma and here in North Texas) that soccer is considered the sport that guys play when they can't make the football, baseball, or basketball team. Simply put, it's more of a regional preference.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, of course = a guy who is a great athlete who could excel in football/baseball/basketball but just simply likes soccer better. That's fine, more power to 'em.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I actually did play a lil soccer back in junior high in pa. I just didnt care for it. I also cant stand that pasty brit david beckham & his bimbo wife. They should move back to jolly old england.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Nothing at all.
As opposed to NFL/NBA players who are squeaky clean?

I'm sorry...But, I could never support a sport where players are being arrested almost on a daily basis (NFL).

NFL Crimes NewsBlog

Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Don't know why I don't like. Didn't grow up playing it, but I'm of an age when NO ONE was playing it, except maybe Pele.

It bores me. I do understand it. Heck, I even coached a high school team in the mid-80s (Would you please coach it? We need a coach and if you don't do it, we'll have to drop the program. Sigh. Ok.) and we even won more than we lost.

But it still bores me. Lots of running back and forth, lots of ball passing, no or little scoring. I was interested while coaching, just because I knew and cared for the kids playing and wanted them to do well., but other than that?

Nope. Boring. Personal preference.

You want to play or watch? Fine. Just don't make me. And I won't make you watch a sport I like but you don't nor bad mouth you for feeling that way.

Now a good soccer riot can be fun to watch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports