Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 AM

134 posts, read 890,646 times

Advertisements

As I am a sports fanatic, I am not going to argue with you on your response but I am truly curious to know why, if you generally like sports but don't like soccer...why not?

I know the most common reasons are:

1) It's boring.
Sure, when you hear about 0-0 ties it sounds boring but have you watched it? Believe me, I've seen some pretty exciting 0-0 games and unlike most other sports, soccer players are always moving. You don't see stoppage of play like you do in other sports.

2) I don't understand it.
Did you try to watch it? No matter which sport you follow I'm sure you didn't come out of your mothers womb knowing all about it. Somebody had to teach you.

3) It's hard to follow.
It's a big ball. Unlike a hockey puck.

4) It's un-American
True, true, true. But in reality the only sport that is "American made" is basketball. All the others have been "Americanized" from other sports.
Football=Rugby
Baseball=Cricket

So, just curious to know why don't you like soccer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,034,439 times
I have always played/loved/watched soccer... But I can not watch the MLS on a regular basis, it's not a very good or fun league to watch, the ball control and the ability to receive/bring down long passes is absolutely horrible.

Can NOT wait till the World Cup!! Cheers!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times
Let me just answer all of that in the simplest way possible....

PEOPLE HAVE THEIR OWN PREFERENCES.

Ya know? People don't have to like soccer just the same way people don't have to like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, auto racing, or any other sport.

Simple as that.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,320,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
Baseball=Cricket
Baseball actually comes from rounders, which is not only English but played mostly by girls.
Rounders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I have always played/loved/watched soccer... But I can not watch the MLS on a regular basis, it's not a very good or fun league to watch, the ball control and the ability to receive/bring down long passes is absolutely horrible.
I actually prefer MLS because it's much more physical. Players do not have a safety bubble around them, allowing time to flawlessly make and receive passes because it's reffed like a basketball game.

And there is still much quality to be found:
Videos | Major League Soccer

Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
I think that, if you enjoy sports in general, then you can enjoy soccer or any other sport for that matter.

I played Rugby for 13 years ... they started us when we were 9 Before coming to the USA I looked down on American Football because "real men" don't wear pads, "real men" don't need to stop for a rest every 10 seconds and why does the game take so long? But, coming here, I realized there was much more to the sport, that it wasn't rugby and now I really enjoy it.

And, so it is with soccer. You need to get over the stereotypes and appreciate what the sport offers in its own right. After all, there is a reason why it is played all over the world.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
I don't like soccer because I was never exposed to it.

I don't know the players, I don't know the teams, I don't know the stories.

It's not that I don't like soccer, I'm just not interested.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,218,983 times
In general, games that are low scoring and have a lot of incomplete passes (and in soccer's case, have few shots on goal) generally don't interest me much. Soccer, hockey, lacrosse - all of these games are fundementally similar kinds of games, and I don't have much interest in any of them. Basketball is kind of similar too, but is much higher scoring and has a higher percentage of completed passes (which helps create more scoring), so I like basketball.

I also was never exposed to soccer when I was young, so I just don't care about it. Actually, the same is true with hockey (for the most part) and lacrosse.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times
I would rather watch a fat lady eat at a all you can eat buffet then play or watch soccer.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:07 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,845,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
3) It's hard to follow.
It's a big ball. Unlike a hockey puck.
I don't think they mean it literally when they say that.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,320,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I would rather watch a fat lady eat at a all you can eat buffet then play or watch soccer.
Why in that order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports