U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,112,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I would rather watch a fat lady eat at a all you can eat buffet then play or watch soccer.
Chances are you have never even taken the time to learn the game.

I have had several friends state similar things. I then took them to a Kansas City Wizards game, taught them the game, and now they love it. A couple of them are even season ticket holders now.

I dont think anyone that truly appreciates sports and athleticism can hate soccer. You may not prefer it over other sports but if you actually learned the game, there is no way you could hate it is you truly appreciate sport and athleticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,901,343 times
Most soccer haters will never admit this, but the VAST majority of them hate the sport because the media tells them they are not supposed to like it. Like Robb has mentioned, go take in a live match and judge for yourself.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
JJG

10,365 posts, read 9,892,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Most soccer haters will never admit this, but the VAST majority of them hate the sport because the media tells them they are not supposed to like it. Like Robb has mentioned, go take in a live match and judge for yourself.
Not 100% true, I've watched matches. Or at least tried.... And most of them were Euro soccer matches. I just can't get into soccer.

I personally could care less "what the media says about what I should and shouldn't like".

I like hockey, and I'm from Fort Worth, Texas. What does that say?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 AM

5,631 posts, read 9,998,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I just can't get into soccer.
That doesn't make you an outright hater.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,941,712 times
I like soccer, I just don't love it, and it has a lot to do with the reasons mentioned beforehand. It just was not part of my culture growing up, baseball and basketball were, which is I why I am so fond of them.

The long flowing hair, guys crying and the flopping (every professional soccer player in Europe is essentially a version of Paul Pierce) when they get touched is a bit of a turn off, but I can still enjoy a match every now and then.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
JJG

10,365 posts, read 9,892,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
That doesn't make you an outright hater.
Oh, people how HATE soccer (or any other sport just for the sake of hating it) are just ignorant.

I still stand by people's rights to not like something, ya know?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM

59 posts, read 102,309 times
I was never a soccer fan but just a couple of weeks ago I took the family up to Houston to watch what I thought was a David Beckham game. It was Dynamo vs. Galaxy. Beckham didn't play because of injury but the game was so exciting. I still do not understand all the rules but thankfully the guy sitting beside me was letting me know as the game went on. I have been to many NHL games but only one soccer game and I absolutely cannot wait to go to another one. The atmosphere before and during the game are amazing. Tailgate parties before the game, mini soccer games going on in the parking lot, multiple sponsor booths with activities and games for the kids, and then during the game there was like a marching band playing at either end for the entire duration of the match. It was like the game itself had a pulse. In Houston it must not be that popular though because the stadium was less than half full. Check out some of the youtube videos of soccer matches in Seattle. That place seems like a rockin good time. They even have some "march to the match" where thousands of fans march through the streets on their way to the game. I have to see a game there.
It is the world's most popular sport so it is just a matter of time before it is a dominant sport here. Exposure is the key. Get people to a game and they will be hooked.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,112,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdweller View Post
I was never a soccer fan but just a couple of weeks ago I took the family up to Houston to watch what I thought was a David Beckham game. It was Dynamo vs. Galaxy. Beckham didn't play because of injury but the game was so exciting. I still do not understand all the rules but thankfully the guy sitting beside me was letting me know as the game went on. I have been to many NHL games but only one soccer game and I absolutely cannot wait to go to another one. The atmosphere before and during the game are amazing. Tailgate parties before the game, mini soccer games going on in the parking lot, multiple sponsor booths with activities and games for the kids, and then during the game there was like a marching band playing at either end for the entire duration of the match. It was like the game itself had a pulse. In Houston it must not be that popular though because the stadium was less than half full. Check out some of the youtube videos of soccer matches in Seattle. That place seems like a rockin good time. They even have some "march to the match" where thousands of fans march through the streets on their way to the game. I have to see a game there.
It is the world's most popular sport so it is just a matter of time before it is a dominant sport here. Exposure is the key. Get people to a game and they will be hooked.

Houston has a larger stadium than most of the league so you cant judge it by being half full. Houston is actually in the top half of the league in attendance.

Seattle, Toronto, and LA are just anomalies when it comes to attendance.

I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I urge you to keep going.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM

8,315 posts, read 10,086,209 times
I have played soccer before but i just didnt like it. In all fairness i could care less about golf, tennis & b-ball as well. I dont mind though playing a game of b-ball now & then. Its watching it that puts me to sleep. Football,baseball & softball are my fav sports. I also like playing wiffle ball now & then. Some guys hate sports all together. I have a neighbor who hates football but loves hockey yet he never watches a hockey game (in person or on tv). Go figure!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM

5,631 posts, read 9,998,051 times
All that puts you to sleep and you watch baseball....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports