Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin' View Post
I'm thinking about leaving California and moving to MO with my kids, Abby and Ozzie. All of the house searching is enough to make a person looney. I'm kind of leaning towards Branson, a bit more "Citified", but I was wondering about Higginsville,Waverly, and perhaps Alma. anyone know much about these places? Their housing prices seem to be nice. Thanks for any info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think you are on the right track by choosing someplace that is close to a bigger town. Near St. Louis or Kansas City. Unless you are willing to do a 180 lifestyle change, Branson might not work for you.

20yrsinBranson
You know what they say about opinions......here's mine.

I can't imagine a better place to raise kids than the Branson/Table Rock Lake area. My next door neighbor has small children...they romp in the lake, have easy afternoons at SDC, celebrate birthdays at go-carts or water parks. The schools are good, people friendly, and if you want something rural-feeling it's not too far away from the traffic, shopping & shows.

MHO.

http://www.smileysigns.com/smiley/cool.gif--Peace, friends.--009900--/font/verdana.ttf--14.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 82,719 times
Thanks. Looks like ya'll love The Branson Area.... and from pictures I'm finding, it looks beautiful.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM

16 posts, read 38,621 times
Default Missouri move

I think if you want a town that is small but yet growing and has great schools in it, good shopping good places to eat and low cost living but yet only 12 miles from Springfield Mo and about a hour from Branson then you need to move to Republic Mo.
WE lived there four about 4 years and I loved it. DIdnt want to leave but life goes on.
If I had the chance to live there again some day I would go in a heart beat. Then if you want to go to the mall or do bigger things then Springfield is only 12 miles west of Republic. Small town living but bigger town not to far away. Its the best. Check it out.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin' View Post
I'm thinking about leaving California and moving to MO ... I was wondering about Higginsville,Waverly, and perhaps Alma. anyone know much about these places? Their housing prices seem to be nice. Thanks for any info.
OK, this is a serious set of question. I'm not trying to bait or troll. Just give me some insight into your thoughts.

1. Why do people from California (and other states) who throughout their lives make fun of small towns, rednecks, hillbillies, conservative states, church-going people, rural schools, one-stoplight burgs, banjo pickers and the like decide at some point in their adult lives to move to rural Missouri?

2. Why do such people expect to be welcomed gladly by rural or small-town Missourians?

3. Why do you think we Missourians give these people the benefit of the doubt and actually welcome them until they prove themselves?

4. If you were a native or lifelong Missourian, what would you do or say to keep people from California (or other states) from moving here to contribute to further urbanization, urban sprawl, urban encroachment on farmland, destruction of forests, etc.?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
OK, this is a serious set of question. I'm not trying to bait or troll. Just give me some insight into your thoughts.

1. Why do people from California (and other states) who throughout their lives make fun of small towns, rednecks, hillbillies, conservative states, church-going people, rural schools, one-stoplight burgs, banjo pickers and the like decide at some point in their adult lives to move to rural Missouri?

2. Why do such people expect to be welcomed gladly by rural or small-town Missourians?

3. Why do you think we Missourians give these people the benefit of the doubt and actually welcome them until they prove themselves?

4. If you were a native or lifelong Missourian, what would you do or say to keep people from California (or other states) from moving here to contribute to further urbanization, urban sprawl, urban encroachment on farmland, destruction of forests, etc.?
1st my family came from WV and IA so picking on hicks,hillbillies,and banjo players is just silly. But 1 stop light is FUNNY!!!

2nd i'm not expecting to be accepted right off the bat, but people need to get over it, they don't own the whole state..

3rd because alot of them came from other states as well

4th you act as if Californians want to tear down all the trees and and put in mini-malls and eat Tofu.... It's really not that old of a state, so we must have come from somewhere.

don't worry, i'm not moving close to you, I don't like cats or poodles......

Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Trukin
You didin't say what made you thinnk of Missouri in the 1st place? you got kin there? Ever been there?
I ask because like you, I want to move out of Ca. and to Missouri....All my Kin live there though, and I've gone back to Missouri for the last 5 years for a few weeks at time, in different seasons, to visit a little but mostly just wander around.
My suggestion is you need to visit alot before making the decsion to move, there is some culture shock. Until this year I was afraid my Wife would'nt like it once we got there, but every year she like it more and more, and one really big thing for her was how welcoming my family was to us, even though most hadn't seen me in 25 years.......

Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
If you want to be in or near someplace that is more "citified" then I would also suggest staying near St. Louis or Kansas City. Otherwise you and your family are in for a major culture shock.
No matter what you are leaning towards, be sure you and your family visit before making a permanent move.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
If you want to be in or near someplace that is more "citified" then I would also suggest staying near St. Louis or Kansas City. Otherwise you and your family are in for a major culture shock.
No matter what you are leaning towards, be sure you and your family visit before making a permanent move.
I agree.

( despite how a realtor from TableRock lake tries to convince you otherwise )

Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Agree away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I agree.

( despite how a realtor from TableRock lake tries to convince you otherwise )
The REALTOR is also a PERSON ( ) who moved around Missouri a LOT after leaving California looking for a "better lifestyle". The OP asked specifically about opinions on Branson, BTW...so I didn't think my comments were unwanted.

I've ALSO suggested, over and over, that people visit wherever they're thinking of moving. Stay local, talk to the folks at the diner...etc. Lots of people love it here. Others not so much. It depends on what you're looking for, eh?

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 07-05-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 12:44 PM

I've spent time in The Army, so adjusting to a new place has never been a problem. But yes, I do have family that moved there 4 years ago. And they wouldn't come back to CA for anything. I'm sure i'll have the same thoughts. Yes, i've visited, and the people I talked to were kind and made MO sound like a place to live and let live. Not to mention everyone spoke ENGLISH
I thank everyone for their pointers on even thinking of moving to MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area