Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 AM

321 posts, read 834,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Just curious marmac. Why does a retired dairy farmer / meat cutter from Minnesota, who wants to leave Minnesota and move south, spend so much time on the Missouri board taking any shot he can at its residents? I see on a former post you made that your own Minnesota neighbor wouldn't do anymore than crack the door open and hand you a phone when you were broke down in a blizzard. Friendly? Down here you're more likely to find someone that will invite you in, give you a warm drink, and call cousin Pete (who can fix just about anything), to put on his long john's and come over and see if he can help you get your vehicle started. In the mean time, we will tell some jokes, which if your not local, you may or may not understand, invite you to church, and give you a canned jar of beets to help you get through the winter. (I must add that blizzard or not, if you are carrying a Watchtower magazine when you knock on the door, you'll get treated the same here as you were there)

I would ask if there are bored Missouri people harassing the Minnesota board but you would actually have to spend some time on the Minnesota board to answer that, so I won't trouble you.

As I have stated before, the funny thing about it is, I think you would fit right in down here. I have more than a few friends that fit your online persona, and while independent old cuss', they make pretty good neighbors. They'll shot your dog if its chasing their chicken, then kill the chicken themselves and bring it to you for dinner as an apology. If they see someone around your house and you are home, they'll call and warn you - and if not, they'll take care of it themselves (I really do miss our old chimney sweep - may he rest in peace) You'll come home one day and find your garden was freshly dug up, and even though it will now be on the wrong side of the house and not where your wife wanted it, you'll just wave and say thank you because you know it was his way of saying howdy.

Many Missouri and out of state writers have pointed out that Missourian's have their own unique style of humor. This means most of us have not spent the better part of our life staring at the rear end of a four legged milk producer, but we can tell the difference between what comes out the udder and what Bessie leaves on the floor to remind us she was just there. The world is full enough of the latter, so when some of us sign on to the forum, we try to tone down the rhetoric and leave the shoveling of Bessie's love pile to the real world. In general, Missouri welcomes all comers, so if we tend to be a little less welcome on the board, it's mostly in fun, and disguising a jealous passion for our community.

We get it. You aren't fond of Missouri, our people, our humor, our different way of doing things, our rocky ground, our reservoirs, our weather, and even our skinny dairy cows probably tick you off. So you won't be moving to Missouri anytime soon. That's ok. But if you do - you are welcome to my neck of the woods.
Point. Set. Match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,361,139 times
Question Has the weather changed since I left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Spmetimes one isn't aware of, or forgets, that California is a big state...
They have desert conditions in the south...Lots of snow and cold weather in the Sierra's, wet & damp along parts of the coast, cool and foggy in other parts of the coast, and beautiful weather in some areas depending on your definition. We used to regularly shovel feet of snow off the driveway (780 feet with 3 switchbacks) during the winter. Then pick the ice off after it melted and refroze. Colder than a well-digger's posterior or colder than a witches teat were common terms. It's not all sun-shine and margarita's with shopping at Trader Joe's in CA.....only in some area.

Just had to get that in....I chuckle at some of the comments about CA...like
it's all shopping, eating, and liberal rich folks. Oh yea...and whacko's.
Well...and I've heard that parts of CA are much more humid than years ago...is that true? I've been sending my roots deep into the rocky Missouri soil for so long I've lost track of what's happening "back home"...

Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,836,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Well...and I've heard that parts of CA are much more humid than years ago...is that true? I've been sending my roots deep into the rocky Missouri soil for so long I've lost track of what's happening "back home"...
I did 20 ish years in that state and although it was confined mostly to the Sierras, I missed any humidity.

I remember moving there from Oregon when I was about 20. My skin started cracking everywhere and I don't think it ever really healed lol. I had to lotion it up daily and holy moly if I didn't use enough fabric softner my hair would stand on end when I got dressed. Conditioner, yeah lots of that too or more static cling hair mess.

My skin and hair are much softer now again, they are happy.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,361,139 times
Cool Humidity helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I did 20 ish years in that state and although it was confined mostly to the Sierras, I missed any humidity.

I remember moving there from Oregon when I was about 20. My skin started cracking everywhere and I don't think it ever really healed lol. I had to lotion it up daily and holy moly if I didn't use enough fabric softner my hair would stand on end when I got dressed. Conditioner, yeah lots of that too or more static cling hair mess.

My skin and hair are much softer now again, they are happy.
See...that's what I like about the humidity...my skin is much happier and I'm not having to lather on the lotion constantly! It wasn't humid when I lived in California, but I've heard people say that it's more humid now...

I've been in Missouri a looooonnnngggg time...

Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,621,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
! It wasn't humid when I lived in California, but I've heard people say that it's more humid now...

I've been in Missouri a looooonnnngggg time...
Well I keep hearing people say "my isn't it Humid out" and thinking "No it's friking HOT", but this sure isn't humid.....

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

121 posts, read 220,731 times
I just saw this post, so I'm stepping in late...I hope your still here California transplant. I too, spent many years in southern California and I longed for an instant for those wonderful temperatures year round...but then I remember why I left. It wasn't the earthquakes, everybody's got something to worry about (like tornados); it was the traffic (2hour on the freeways to drive 20 miles to work each day) the smog (cough, cough).

I got used to the humidity real quick, it's not bad floating around on the lake! I also never thought that I could grow 5 pound tomato's. Folks are friendly, not much crime, and we can always take a trip if we want to go somewhere! Oh by the way, Missouri is ranked 11 as lowest cost of living state (2009-2010) report. Dang - Kentucky beat us again at No.!

Last edited by meandthee; 09-22-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: left word out

Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM

RE: Weather...Road and bridge people say we got 5 inches of rain up here. We went for a drive to see a bridge that was damaged from the rain and debris. Water is pretty high everywhere and some flooding. Have had to pump out the basement a couple of times. I'm quite thankful for sump pumps!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well I keep hearing people say "my isn't it Humid out" and thinking "No it's friking HOT", but this sure isn't humid.....
LOL @ humid in Ca. It always felt sort of like a blow dryer to me in the heat there. Dry heat and wind.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 640 times
I grew up in the Springfield area, but my family moved back to Omaha when I was still in school. I have longed to move back since my kids were small, and my Tina has almost arrived. With the kids gone and the grand kids growing, it's time to do something for ME ! I remember the winters in Missouri, and the Nebraska winters have kept me prepared. But my husband is another story ! It has been tough talking that ol' New Yorker into it. We live off two disability incomes, and have to be tight with the money so we can prepare for the seasonal fluxes and demands. But if you are full of adventure and dreams. And not in some Dean world about country living, just be smart about ya, and check it out! Talk to folks there. They don't sugar coat it. Know your limits and what you can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area