Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 AM

879 posts, read 2,879,193 times

Advertisements

Ok..I'm back (busy busy busy..retirement is exhausting!).

I've contacted the local Branson newspaper about a newcomers forum but have as yet to hear from them. I've also just sent an email to the Review Journal suggesting a Locals and/or NewComers forum like the "moms" forum they currently have. Hopefully will get some sort of response next week.

Then we can start working on a location like a library or something similiar for a regular meeting. From my experience an evening meetings (like 6:00 or so?) is good for the meeting. What do you think about keeping the food part flexible? Like perhaps something once a month, generally lunch but dinner once in a while, breakfast occasionally, cocktails from time to time...etc??

From the sounds of all of the posts, perhaps this should be a foodie club!
Would be ok with me. I LOVE to cook, take cooking classes, and try out new places.

But we'll start with a newcomers club. Since we missed the last Friday of August, how about we try for the second Friday of August (the 10th) at 10:45 A.M. for beverages at Starbucks in Target just north of Branson.

It's probably a few miles for everyone and REALLY close for no one. It's also well out of the traffic area right now. We can have a coffee clatch and then decide how we want to proceed.

Thoughts?
MrsChilicook (also known as PJ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times
Thumbs up The first Newcomer's meeting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Ok..I'm back (busy busy busy..retirement is exhausting!).

I've contacted the local Branson newspaper about a newcomers forum but have as yet to hear from them. I've also just sent an email to the Review Journal suggesting a Locals and/or NewComers forum like the "moms" forum they currently have. Hopefully will get some sort of response next week.

Then we can start working on a location like a library or something similiar for a regular meeting. From my experience an evening meetings (like 6:00 or so?) is good for the meeting. What do you think about keeping the food part flexible? Like perhaps something once a month, generally lunch but dinner once in a while, breakfast occasionally, cocktails from time to time...etc??

From the sounds of all of the posts, perhaps this should be a foodie club!
Would be ok with me. I LOVE to cook, take cooking classes, and try out new places.

But we'll start with a newcomers club. Since we missed the last Friday of August, how about we try for the second Friday of August (the 10th) at 10:45 A.M. for beverages at Starbucks in Target just north of Branson.

It's probably a few miles for everyone and REALLY close for no one. It's also well out of the traffic area right now. We can have a coffee clatch and then decide how we want to proceed.

Thoughts?

That all sounds great to me...I'm in for Friday the 10th...10:45 at Target.
Thanks so much for spearheading this!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcowgirl View Post
This newcomers group sounds so awesome!! We are moving to Branson the first week of August....I am packing right now. ...
My mother-in-law is moving down there at the same time we are and I know both her and I would LOVE to get in on this group......
The only downside is that I am leaving the LAST BEST PLACE ON EARTH, beautiful Montana. I am heartbroken but moving forward. Just gotta get used to not seeing the Big Sky. Y'all sound like a great bunch.....
Welcome, MtCowGirl! I haven't seen any of your posts before. I look forward to meeting you and your Mama, too! I wanted to share something with you about our sky. I guess you've already been here but I wanted to say that one of the things that I love about MO is the sky! It is so much more "expressive" than in CA! So, while you may not see as much of it as in MT, it is still a beautiful sky and all the trees, hills and lakes more than make up for the lack of quantity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post

...we'll start with a newcomers club. Since we missed the last Friday of August, how about we try for the second Friday of August (the 10th) at 10:45 A.M. for beverages at Starbucks in Target just north of Branson.

Thoughts?
I'm in if I can remember it, PJ! Hahaha! I haven't seen Boof around here so I'll be sure that she knows about it, too. I hope she can come! Marshfield is quite a distance from Branson but maybe she can come once in awhile.

So, I can't remember seeing the Target in my few trips to Branson. Would you please enlighten me?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM

Wink Directions to Target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
So, I can't remember seeing the Target in my few trips to Branson. Would you please enlighten me?
Take 65 south to the Bee Creek Exit...turn right & turn into the Target/TJ Maxx/Home Depot.

S'easy...see ya there!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM

Thanks! So, we're on for sure, huh?! Whoohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Take 65 south to the Bee Creek Exit...turn right & turn into the Target/TJ Maxx/Home Depot.

S'easy...see ya there!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 PM

137 posts, read 610,276 times
Ok , let me first say, I'm a man! But i am jealous of your enthusiasm and your club! What a great thing for newbies. And montana cowgirl, we gots some great skys here! You gals have a great thing going here, keep it up. I think the Sweetie will be up for Joining even if she has to drive. Oh yeah, once I get her some wheels appropriate to our digs.
I do have one suggestion, you need some locals that are not newbies included in the group so they can give you the information you seek.
I sympathize with all those peeps that are waiting for homes to sell to make the move. I am sad to say that we are not waiting because we can no longer pay the freight and are going bankrupt and letting the house go. It was a hard decision but we will start fresh in Mo and live within our means and not rely on credit anymore. But this is off topic, You go Girls! and get er done!
I love to see initiative and drive! peace be on you all!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy4570 View Post
Ok , let me first say, I'm a man! But i am jealous of your enthusiasm and your club! What a great thing for newbies. And montana cowgirl, we gots some great skys here! You gals have a great thing going here, keep it up. I think the Sweetie will be up for Joining even if she has to drive. Oh yeah, once I get her some wheels appropriate to our digs.
I do have one suggestion, you need some locals that are not newbies included in the group so they can give you the information you seek.
I sympathize with all those peeps that are waiting for homes to sell to make the move. I am sad to say that we are not waiting because we can no longer pay the freight and are going bankrupt and letting the house go. It was a hard decision but we will start fresh in Mo and live within our means and not rely on credit anymore. But this is off topic, You go Girls! and get er done!
Hey INDY I pretty sure locals are welcome too. I don't think we would turn anyone away. I very sorry to hear about your bankruptcy and letting the house go. Well I am in the same boat as well but by choice not because we had to. I have to tell you that it isn't as bad you think it is. Remember you can start building your credit by getting a secured credit card and after 2 years closing bankruptcy-get a FHA loan the interest rate is only a half percentage point higher than a regular mortgage rates and one more thing the credit union might let you open an bank account. So start building your credit right away and in a couple years it will be all good. Now everyone is different so it can be a little longer to build back up but don't be discourage.

I am sorry ladies it is another thread..... Just wanted to give some pointers. I will shut my mouth up now. Good luck and have fun meeting new people. Unfortually I won't be living in the area more Northern.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Oh, Indy! I'm so sorry! I think I just sent a response to you in another thread and I think I called you "girlfriend"! Soooo sorrrreeee! Maybe you should go and at least answer the basic questions in your profile like "male" and "married". I often go to those to check that sort of thing but many people don't say and sometimes I even peruse the page of people's posts but I just don't take time to go to those other threads to figure out what sex someone is. I'm sure you kwim! At any rate, you and your lovely wife are welcome to join us. It's not meant to be a girls club!

As for your bankruptcy, I can totally understand. And I appreciate your comments about learning to live within your means as you start over! That's our goal, too! I have talked about this in another thread...and I don't think it was on topic...so don't worry about being off topic. That happens allllll over the place here! It would make a great topic, though, don'tcha think?

Peace backatcha, brother!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Oh Brother Where Art Thou?????

Quote:
Ok , let me first say, I'm a man! But i am jealous of your enthusiasm and your club! What a great thing for newbies.

May I speak for the group...(those of us with mammaries...) and say that we welcome (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) men like you'ns to any group.

I have to confess I've lived here for a coupla years...so I don't know if I qualify as a "newbie" but since WHAT I DO is talk to people who are moving here, I can't stand NOT being invited!!!

DEFINE "Newbie"...por favor...?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
OK kids I think we may have had someone 'round here that somehow slipped through one heckuva narrow MO crack.

Ticketmaster Hatred?

I totally blew right by this thread simply because of the topic but I took a peek this am and discovered the OP was asking about the Newcomers Club in addition to her other concern. Well I sent kbeans a PM and asked her to jump right in this thread and have some fun. Since I have zero pull around this place maybe ya'll could flood her inbox with some invites and perhaps put a on her face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area