Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Pilot View Post
On another forum where I often lurk the wife of the mayor of a small Ozarks town commented on the slippery highway she encountered en route home after spending a day in Springfield doing her Christmas shopping. I was stunned as she uses her real name, is on the town's downtown development committee and owns her own retail business. To be fair, the things she needed may not have been available in her own area but.....
Lady_Pilot, you mentioned another forum you lurk about on, may I ask what forum? My hubby and I have purchased a house near Cape Fair and will be moving there from Texas the first of February - I am gathering all the info I can before then. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,549,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't want Branson to change. Hell, it has already changed too much in my opinion. .... I guess intellectually I understand that you can't have ALL the restaurants in Branson open ALL YEAR because there just isn't enough business to go around. I just wish the ones I LIKED WOULD!!!!!

20yrsinBranson
It sounds like you have come to your senses.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 AM

32 posts, read 54,318 times
double post

Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post

You're the kind of transplant I don't like to see move to the Ozarks. You're here for a job or cheap land or cheap cost of living in retirement, but you don't want to be a part of community life in any fashion or support it in even the most basic way, spending your money within the community.

Then you don't understand why we locals carry on without you.
No offense but why would anyone in their right mind move to the area for a job? Retirement I can see but if I moved back to the area my income would drop by about $30,000 a year or more.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,549,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPAC_in_the_KNOW View Post
No offense but why would anyone in their right mind move to the area for a job? Retirement I can see but if I moved back to the area my income would drop by about $30,000 a year or more.
Well, I guess we poor, simple hillfolk will have to carry on without you. I'm not sure how we'll get by, but we'll do our best.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Well, I guess we poor, simple hillfolk will have to carry on without you. I'm not sure how we'll get by, but we'll do our best.
It's attitudes like yours that keeps the area stagnant. And that is what I always found the Ozarks to be - stagnant. Nothing happening or no significant developments beyond the same sort of sprawl that is just more of the same. One of the big problems that I see with the area is because of the dismal pay there's a tremendous group of low income people who who work rock bottom, or seasonal jobs just to support their families in poverty. I find it appaling that people with 4 year technical degrees or heck even master's degrees are offered such horrible wages upon graduation because "thats just the way we do things in the Ozarks". People will argue that it keeps the prices down but people I know who still live in the area are always complaining about inflation and from what I can see the wages have not increased since I lived there.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,320,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPAC_in_the_KNOW View Post
It's attitudes like yours that keeps the area stagnant. And that is what I always found the Ozarks to be - stagnant. Nothing happening or no significant developments beyond the same sort of sprawl that is just more of the same. One of the big problems that I see with the area is because of the dismal pay there's a tremendous group of low income people who who work rock bottom, or seasonal jobs just to support their families in poverty. I find it appaling that people with 4 year technical degrees or heck even master's degrees are offered such horrible wages upon graduation because "thats just the way we do things in the Ozarks". People will argue that it keeps the prices down but people I know who still live in the area are always complaining about inflation and from what I can see the wages have not increased since I lived there.
In case ain't nobody told ya, that's just the way we do things down here in the Ozarks. Guess the good news is, you'uns won't be joinin' us'ns any time soon!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,920,286 times
I love Springfield and the Ozarks! I love them just the way they are. No place is paradise but this part of the world comes awfully close, IMO.

If I didn't feel this way, I'd be following another location on city-data instead of Springfield.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,620,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In case ain't nobody told ya, that's just the way we do things down here in the Ozarks. Guess the good news is, you'uns won't be joinin' us'ns any time soon!
Ya'll went and gone ferrel allready Curm!........

Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,320,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ya'll went and gone ferrel allready Curm!........
Yeah! Goes with ma cat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area