Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:21 PM

354 posts, read 322,295 times

Advertisements

OK, what cell phone provider do most of you in the Springfield area use and how is their coverage? We have Verizon now but they told me that they do not offer local service in the area, meaning I could use the one we have but everything would be a long distance call to and from our cell. Though we have free long distance, many people that would like to call us might not and we olan on using cell phones as our regular phones, as opposed to having a land line. It looks like Cingular/At&T has local service and good coverage and they seem to be getting top reviews. It also looked like Alltel has local service and good coverage but not so great reviews.

So, what one would y'all suggest? We both plan on having a phone so the plan would have to cover both phones for us.

Oh yeah, does Springfield and the surrounding areas ban cell phone use while driving, hand held that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:16 PM

145 posts, read 653,209 times
Cingular/AT&T has wonderful service--they were my provider the whole time I lived in Springfield (and are still my provider). I have a plan with my fiancé to share quite a few minutes with rollover for $69.99/mo.
I heard nothing but bad stuff about those who went with Alltel, seriously. They ripped off a few of my co-workers and seem very nasty and unforgiving, let's just put it that way. And as for Verizon, I can't tell you how many travelers (business especially) that I met that were quite p-eed off when they would come to town and have no signal (note: hotel receptionists can't change this fact lol, as much as we ever would like to so that travelers would be happy). I'm not so sure about that long-distance thing--most of the ones that came complained that they could not use their phones.
I never heard much about T-Mobile or Sprint, but I think they have service available in Springfield as well (never heard complaints about those, can tell you that much HTH!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Thank you so much. When I was looking at Cingular/At&T they did look like the best bet for us in the area. Idid see where Alltel did not have really good reviews like Verizon and At&T did. So, I guess we will switch to At&T. I called Verizon to day to see if we still had any time left on our contract and we don't so that makes it much easer to start a new plan with At&T.

Do you know if we have to get new phones or can they just let us use the ones we have, with different phone numbers and all? Does Springfield have a law against talking with a hand-help cell phone while driving?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:56 PM

I think they may let you use the phones you have, but I can't say for certain. Many plans offer very cheap or even free phones anyhow, so don't sweat it if you do have to get a new one (unless you have really nice ones already--I've only paid once for a phone with them).
As far as I know, Springfield does not have a law against that--I talk on mine and have done so right next to cops in traffic there.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Oh, but one side note: do NOT run a red light--fine is $100!!! (not that you would...) Also, do NOT speed in the construction areas that are going on now--they like handing out big $$$ fines.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:03 PM

OMG!!!! You live in High Ridge, MO? Is that true?? I ask this because we used to live in High Ridge many moons ago. I bet Highway 30 is all built up these days. There used to be a small Thai restaurant on the oter road of Highway 30. We used to love eating there. Is it still there? Of course, at this time my mind is a complete blank as tyo the name of the place.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Yes, it is true, though I/we live 3mi from the actual city limits. Yes, Hwy 30 is all built-up, lots of shopping stuff. I'm not sure about the Thai place and neither is my fiancé (just asked him, too). I'm surprised to meet anyone who knows where High Ridge is and even more that you lived here, too--cool! You are welcome to pv me anytime with more q's on Springfield--lived there for about 10yrs, so I do know it fairly well. High Ridge, I'm still getting to know it (only lived here for about 1 1/2 yrs now).

Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,402,417 times
We have had Cingular/AT&T and Alltel here in the Springfield area. In my experience (years with both), Alltel has the best coverage in and around Springfield. Once you get away from this area though, AT&T seems to have the best service. We currently have Alltel just for that reason, and have been pleased with the service and the customer support.

Missouri does not have a law against driving while talking on a cell phone.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,612,528 times
We have had the Cingular service for years (now At&T) with no issues other than the fact we have a teenage daughter with a cell phone If you like your particular model of phones it is possible that when you switch to a provider other than Verizon they can just swap out the SIM chip and you are good to go. I have no complaints with my Cingular service in Springfield proper nor the outlying areas since we have been here.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks so much for all of your replies. We have decided to go with Cingular/At&T for our provider up there. I have the need to be able to have fairly good coverage nationwide since we will also be taking a trip to Sacramento area for me to meet some of my family I have never met or seen before. I was adopted and I just recently, last year to be exact, found two sisters up there and we have only talked on the phone so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area