Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 PM

141 posts, read 424,716 times

Advertisements

I have only lived in Springfield for about 6 months and I am hearing all this talk about us being in severe storm season. I am from MS where they have started Hurricane Season and it wont end till mid-November. So I am curious, how long is severe storm season up here in the Ozarks, and is there a point during the season where severe storms are more likely? Like in MS hurricanes are possible at anytime but between late July and early September they say there is a better chance of one.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,834,341 times
Severe weather can happen anytime but May and June are big months when the weather is changing to warmer and then there is a secondary period in the fall when the weather is transitioning back to cool.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM

694 posts, read 1,347,720 times
2008 - Missouri killer tornado on January 8th (just outside Springfield).
2010 - Missouri killer tornado on December 31 (Arkansas and Missouri)

This is what I can 'remember' from the last few years. If I looked it up, I could probably cover the first seven days of the year.

And misplaced is correct about spring typically being the worst months.

Welcome to Missouri

Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM

914 posts, read 2,188,318 times
I would back up the dates for the severe weather season to mid April to mid June. While thunderstorms and hail are fairly common throughout the summer, tornadoes become rare.

However, as noted above tornadoes appear to recognize no absolute limits. Wasn't the last tornado to cause fatalities in Republic at or near Thanksgiving? This was some years ago, so my memory may be faulty.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Default How long is storm season?

It runs from beginnin' ta end!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the info!

And Curmudgeon your post was most helpful of all!!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephkp View Post

Think nothing of it. Probably not difficult to do!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,772,743 times
Quote:

August, September and October are relatively uneventful in general unless there is an early wet snow or ice storm while all the leaves are still on the trees. The rest of the year, when it comes to weather, anything goes.

40-60 degree temp. changes are another little oddity you'll learn to enjoy as the warm fronts from the Gulf and cold fronts from Canada enjoy doing battle over our beloved state.

If you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes; it will change.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 AM

lifelongMOgal

I have heard the "If you don't like the weather wait 15 mins and it will change." And I guess that why I love MO so much. We are from South MS both my husband and I were born and raised there (You go any further South than Gulfport, then you are swimming in the Gulf of Mexico). And hurricane season runs from June to November, and Summer runs from April to December. We never saw seasons, we never saw snow. We know what HOT is and we know what RAIN is, the other stuff are cool things to experience. And honestly tornadoes do not bother us, because as my husband says there is really no where you can live that you can't expect some kind of natural disaster possibility. Whether it is tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,453,495 times
Quote:
lifelongMOgal

there is really no where you can live that you can't expect some kind of natural disaster possibility. Whether it is tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes. Thanks for the info.
I saw a sign in Joplin the other day, on a damaged house that said "Goodbye Joplin, we are headed to Florida!". I wonder if they realize that Florida is the #1 disaster state, due to flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires and lightning strikes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area