Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,909 times

Advertisements

When looking for apartments We have no idea if the areas or complex are in nice safe areas or in less desirable locations. Can anyone tell us Where not to look at ? Is around MSU good or bad? I want him in a safe location. He is a very quiet guy so we don't want a party complex. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_raney View Post
When looking for apartments We have no idea if the areas or complex are in nice safe areas or in less desirable locations. Can anyone tell us Where not to look at ? Is around MSU good or bad? I want him in a safe location. He is a very quiet guy so we don't want a party complex. Thanks for any input.
Being around the school is safe. There are lots of big old houses that students rent "rooms" out of (at an exorbitant price, I am told). There are also apartment complexes near by. The area is reasonably safe.

Springfield is one of those rare little cities where there really isn't a "bad" part of town. Some more desirable than others but none that would be a risk to life and limb if you took a stroll at night.

I guess if I had to caution anyone, I'd recommend they stay away from the area around Division and National Streets. People who live on the North Side are generally made fun of as being your typical "blue collar" types. Being called a "Northsider" is not a good thing in Springfield, although there are some nice subdivisons WAY north (like north of I44).

The area around Walnut and Mt. Vernon isn't that great either. But again, it's not dangerous, just a little run down.

20yrisnBranson

Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 PM

86 posts, read 167,243 times
Hey I live in the north part of town!! We just moved here a few months ago and my husband got a job with a hotel on North Glenstone. We are living in an apartment complex (Coryell Courts) that is basically across the road from his work. He is going to MSU this semester and it is a really short commute for him. I guess it depends on if your son will be driving or using the bus. We are really happy where we are. The complex is safe and close to everything. I guess it depends on how close he wants to be and the price. I haven't really found an area so far that looks really bad. I am a newbie to the area though so that is just my opinion. We love it here!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks so much for the input. Its a big help. If anyone else has any tips please add them. Anyone know of any apartment complex that are in the south west part of town that are decent and reasonable priced. He will be driving so bus stops not an issue. Thanks again

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

186 posts, read 466,063 times
Golden Pond apartments are just down the street from me in SW Springfield....they are only a few years old, and seem to be nice from what I can tell....they even have a stocked pond for fishing if he's into that.
Lakeshore apartments are nice, but they charge a LOT for tiny little places. I'm not sure how pricey Quail Run apartments are, but they're also pretty new. I think there is another new set of apartments over here by the Greenway, but I can't remember the exact name...South Creek sounds right though, since that's the name of that part of the Greenways.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
Golden Pond apartments are just down the street from me in SW Springfield....they are only a few years old, and seem to be nice from what I can tell....they even have a stocked pond for fishing if he's into that.
Lakeshore apartments are nice, but they charge a LOT for tiny little places. I'm not sure how pricey Quail Run apartments are, but they're also pretty new. I think there is another new set of apartments over here by the Greenway, but I can't remember the exact name...South Creek sounds right though, since that's the name of that part of the Greenways.
Ok show my age but SW Springfield use to be Bad but that was when Sunshine was South side of Town.

We was between Chestnut and Commercial here while back didn't really feel safe.

Can't really depend on me on places that aren't safe left in '72 and lived again short time in '86.

My Son,DIL went and my Daughter is now going to MSU,my wife is going to OTC.Wish your Son the Best he should be ok.

brushrunner

Old 08-28-2011, 12:42 PM

186 posts, read 466,063 times
I think the addition of new neighborhoods probably changed SW SPFD a lot (from what I hear, I've lived here off and on for 10 years).

The rule of thumb that I was told when I moved here was "Nothing good happens north of Sunshine"

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM

ok good to know, on the nothing good happens north of sunshine. Thank you soo much. Every little bit helps put a mothers heart a ease a little bit

Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 39,442 times
The worst neighborhood I've ever lived in was on west Walnut St, just east of Kansas Ave. Couple of murders happened within one block of where I lived.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I go to MSU and I'm not an expert on Springfield, but I would agree with 20yrsinbranson, there's no real "bad" part of town. There are TONS of rentals within a few blocks of MSU and if it were me personally, I would stay close to campus just for the convenience.

Student Retention Services - Missouri State University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area