U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-26-2011, 04:04 PM

10,303 posts, read 12,647,270 times
Default The Holidays Are Coming For All Of US

I've seen various threads in this forum about Trader Joe's and Kosher foods.

The nearest and largest Trader Joe's is in Brentwood Exit St. Louis (2). TJ's opened two in KC; it looks like one is not far from Lee's Summit, MO.. It is stll a couple hundred miles to drive.

FWIW, it looks like Trader Joe's has a nearly full like of Kosher expcept meats. I did not see Matzo listed. Some of the products like Hatch Green Chilis, natural honey and Almond Butter is a very pleasant surprise, Hatch NM is the largest producer of chili peppers in the world. Almond butter is much like peanut butter but it is made from almonds; it's yummy and can be used on toast, as a sandwich or in any recipe that contains peanut butter. I have a skin disease so I buy TJ's laundry and dish soaps.

Here is part of the product list:http://www.traderjoes.com/products.asp

Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-26-2011, 08:02 PM

23 posts, read 13,131 times
Both KC Trader Joe's are a short drive from I-435, which is the interstate loop that heads west from Hwy 71. Driving from Springfield (using Hwy 13 to Clinton, then 7 to 71) the trip should take about 2:45, if one doesn't stop.

The Leawood store at Roe Avenue and 119th is in the same center as an Apple Store, if that's any incentive.

Unread 10-27-2011, 11:31 AM

17,760 posts, read 13,425,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

The nearest and largest Trader Joe's is in Brentwood Exit St. Louis (2). TJ's opened two in KC; it looks like one is not far from Lee's Summit, MO.. It is stll a couple hundred miles to drive.

FWIW, it looks like Trader Joe's has a nearly full like of Kosher expcept meats. I did not see Matzo listed. Some of the products like Hatch Green Chilis, natural honey and Almond Butter is a very pleasant surprise, Hatch NM is the largest producer of chili peppers in the world. Almond butter is much like peanut butter but it is made from almonds; it's yummy and can be used on toast, as a sandwich or in any recipe that contains peanut butter. I have a skin disease so I buy TJ's laundry and dish soaps.

Here is part of the product list:Trader Joe's

Happy Holidays!
If Mod Edits just gotta happen, better there than here!

Last edited by linicx; 11-12-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Unread 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,384,972 times
This is only my opinion, but I think residents of Missouri should look for the products they need in their own communities.

If you shop in your own town, rather than drive up to the city for what transplants call "serious shopping," you help keep local people employed and you pay local sales taxes that are used to finance your local cops, firefighters and street crews.

When you drive off to the city to spend your money at the fancy-pants places, you come home with a bunch of stuff you can use to enhance your standing amongst your peer group, but you have helped the economy of the city rather than your own local community economy.

Transplants want their communities to have quaint shops, but they prefer to spend their money in the malls of the nearest Big City. You can't have quaint shops if you spend your disposable quaint income in the malls.

This is my opinion. Others will, no doubt, disagree and express alternative viewpoints that I would be interested in hearing.

Unread 10-30-2011, 01:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 4,199,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post

Transplants want their communities to have quaint shops, but they prefer to spend their money in the malls of the nearest Big City. You can't have quaint shops if you spend your disposable quaint income in the malls.

This Paragraph is spot on....
You always hear about the nice town square, everyone wants one, but no one shops there......

Unread 10-30-2011, 02:13 PM

13,626 posts, read 3,454,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
This is my opinion. Others will, no doubt, disagree and express alternative viewpoints that I would be interested in hearing.
If quaint shops in Missouri wouldn't close at 6pm on weekdays and noon on Saturday and all day Sunday, I'd have been be more likely to patronize. When do most people have the time to shop?.... Evenings and weekends.

There are a lot of local places around here that compete quite well against the chain places since they seem to know what it takes to compete.

Perhaps Rolla should strive to be more like Austin.

Unread 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If quaint shops in Missouri wouldn't close at 6pm on weekdays and noon on Saturday and all day Sunday, I'd have been be more likely to patronize. When do most people have the time to shop?.... Evenings and weekends.

There are a lot of local places around here that compete quite well against the chain places since they seem to know what it takes to compete.

Perhaps Rolla should strive to be more like Austin.
Then you'd have to choose the lesser of two evils, Mod Cut or Texification.

With the former you get In-N-Out Burger. With the latter you get big hats.

Last edited by linicx; 11-12-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM

1,567 posts, read 456,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Here is part of the product list:Trader Joe's

Happy Holidays!
You can get Hatch Green Chilis at some of the grocery stores in Springfield. Last year we bought a case of them from Dillons and I noticed that this year some other stores started carrying them.

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:45 AM

866 posts, read 391,070 times
Wish I could find a place to get Almond Butter here in TX. Haven't seen it in the regular grocery stores, only time I tasted it was when I worked for
the school district. We got it as government commodity. I liked the taste better than peanut butter.

Don't know if there is a Trader Joe's here in TX. Probably one down in Dallas/Ft Worth area. Don't get down that way very often, actually I try to avoid it altogether. Too much traffic.

Unread 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Wish I could find a place to get Almond Butter here in TX. Haven't seen it in the regular grocery stores, only time I tasted it was when I worked for
the school district. We got it as government commodity. I liked the taste better than peanut butter.

Don't know if there is a Trader Joe's here in TX. Probably one down in Dallas/Ft Worth area. Don't get down that way very often, actually I try to avoid it altogether. Too much traffic.
Not to worry about traffic. The nearest to you appears to be:

Trader Joe's Santa Fe (165)
530 W. Cordova Road
Santa Fe, NM 87505

As for almond butter, let your fingers do the walking: Amazon Best Sellers: Best Almond Butter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area