U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,187,116 times
Reputation: 1583

Advertisements

I'm just stunned to read that someone found the "people" aka "locals" in the Branson area to be unfriendly. I have lived here now for almost 8 years and only run into a grumpy gus once in a great while. Overall, I find people here in general to be extremely nice.

I will say that my first couple of visits (after moving to SWMO from CA)to "Branson" I wasn't terribly impressed, as I didn't really know the best places to go or the best restaurants...hey...I didn't even know about the LAKE!!! So I can understand if you just drive in & look around on your own it might seem......boring or something.

Once I discovered Table Rock Lake I fell in love and decided to re-locate from Springfield. And glad I did.

I also didn't realize we're not considered pet-friendly. I'll have to look into that.
~Lake Junkie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
 
8 posts, read 17,436 times
Reputation: 24
I have recently moved to Branson from a city in Canada where we had 2 off leash dog parks, regular dog walking activities scheduled by the twin cities, and many many pet friendly hotels and shops. The city was very walkable, unlike Branson with it's many hills and lack of sidewalks in many of the communities.

I will say a number of things about the pet friendliness and the people friendliness in this thread.

I don't see pet owners here practising a lot of people friendly activities, such as picking up after their pets. I also don't see a lot of people walking their dogs, period. I do see a lot of little dogs yapping at their windows when I walk past.

There is no dog park in Branson, there was one in the works that seems to have been shelved, but I'm hoping they bring it back, it looked world class. I do see people bringing their pets to the hotels with them, but not all hotels are pet friendly, unfortunately.

The Branson Landing is a walkable shopping space that should be pet friendly, but I never see people walking their dogs there, the only shop I know that lets pets in is the old time photo shop. You can dress your pet up as a Victorian lady and have their picture taken in sepia tone.

There are a few pet friendly campsites, one of them has a fenced in off leash park, if you look at the Branson KOA website.

There is a wonderful state park down the road from me called Shepherd of the Hills that has excellent walking trails and fishing, and you are allowed dogs on leash as long as you pick up after them. Table Rock Lake State Park as well is beautiful, and as in all the Missouri State Parks, is participating in the new Cabins for Canines program, so finding lodgings there should be easy.

There is a really nice winery that allows you to sit in the patio with a dog. I believe the starbucks here does as well, just not to bring them inside. I don't know if the Home Depot here allows dogs, some do some don't across the country.

If your goal is to come to Branson to enjoy shows and hit all the hot touristy spots, then yes, leave your pet at home or in a kennel where he can be pampered. If your goal is to enjoy some of the country's best fishing and most beautiful natural surrounding with your dog, then yes, bring him.

As to how friendly people here are....

most tourists are friendly, and most residents are friendly. Most of the residents I see are seniors, tbh. The place is crawling with them! Take a moment to smile and you'll get a smile and a good morning back.

Coming from Canada, I was ready for the rude American, never says your welcome kind of attitude that is depicted on tv. The "uh huh" in response to thankyou instead of your welcome, yes, I do hear that a lot. But I also hear a good morning, a welcome, many pleasantries from locals.

At the grocery store, shopping at Target, going to the hardware store... nothing but niceness. Smiles, waves...

now, the touristy spots maybe I don't go to as often as you do, but I'd hazard that my sunny disposition and smile on my face will go a long way towards a smile back from a local compared to the sour faces some of you here must permanently wear. Or maybe they just like me more than they do you...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,594 posts, read 35,647,457 times
Reputation: 29295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfireflygirl View Post
As to how friendly people here are....

most tourists are friendly, and most residents are friendly. 1. Most of the residents I see are seniors, tbh. The place is crawling with them! Take a moment to smile and you'll get a smile and a good morning back.

Coming from Canada, I was ready for the rude American, never says your welcome kind of attitude that is depicted on tv. The "uh huh" in response to thankyou instead of your welcome, yes, I do hear that a lot. But I also hear a good morning, a welcome, many pleasantries from locals.

At the grocery store, shopping at Target, going to the hardware store... nothing but niceness. Smiles, waves...

now, the touristy spots maybe I don't go to as often as you do, but I'd hazard that my sunny disposition and smile on my face will go a long way towards a smile back from a local compared to the sour faces some of you here must permanently wear. 2. Or maybe they just like me more than they do you...
1. AHEM! I hope you also notice that a few of us still walk upright.

2. That must be it!

As for the rest, we've lived here for going on three years now and but for perhaps two people in passing, no one has been anything but pleasant.

One thing visitors from other places may find annoying is that here people really talk and most aren't in any hurry. Cashiers in stores talk to their customers and visa versa. It may hold up the progress of the line somewhat but when your turn comes they'll talk to you too. You just get used to it. We find it ever so much pleasant than the pushing, shoving, jostling nervous energy, impatience and downright rudeness and frenetic, seemingly paranoid, rushed pace so many other places seem to have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
694 posts, read 1,287,330 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfireflygirl View Post
I have recently moved to Branson from a city in Canada where we had 2 off leash dog parks, regular dog walking activities scheduled by the twin cities, and many many pet friendly hotels and shops. The city was very walkable, unlike Branson with it's many hills and lack of sidewalks in many of the communities.

I will say a number of things about the pet friendliness and the people friendliness in this thread.

I don't see pet owners here practising a lot of people friendly activities, such as picking up after their pets. I also don't see a lot of people walking their dogs, period. I do see a lot of little dogs yapping at their windows when I walk past.

There is no dog park in Branson, there was one in the works that seems to have been shelved, but I'm hoping they bring it back, it looked world class. I do see people bringing their pets to the hotels with them, but not all hotels are pet friendly, unfortunately.

The Branson Landing is a walkable shopping space that should be pet friendly, but I never see people walking their dogs there, the only shop I know that lets pets in is the old time photo shop. You can dress your pet up as a Victorian lady and have their picture taken in sepia tone.

There are a few pet friendly campsites, one of them has a fenced in off leash park, if you look at the Branson KOA website.

There is a wonderful state park down the road from me called Shepherd of the Hills that has excellent walking trails and fishing, and you are allowed dogs on leash as long as you pick up after them. Table Rock Lake State Park as well is beautiful, and as in all the Missouri State Parks, is participating in the new Cabins for Canines program, so finding lodgings there should be easy.

There is a really nice winery that allows you to sit in the patio with a dog. I believe the starbucks here does as well, just not to bring them inside. I don't know if the Home Depot here allows dogs, some do some don't across the country.

If your goal is to come to Branson to enjoy shows and hit all the hot touristy spots, then yes, leave your pet at home or in a kennel where he can be pampered. If your goal is to enjoy some of the country's best fishing and most beautiful natural surrounding with your dog, then yes, bring him.

As to how friendly people here are....

most tourists are friendly, and most residents are friendly. Most of the residents I see are seniors, tbh. The place is crawling with them! Take a moment to smile and you'll get a smile and a good morning back.

Coming from Canada, I was ready for the rude American, never says your welcome kind of attitude that is depicted on tv. The "uh huh" in response to thankyou instead of your welcome, yes, I do hear that a lot. But I also hear a good morning, a welcome, many pleasantries from locals.

At the grocery store, shopping at Target, going to the hardware store... nothing but niceness. Smiles, waves...

now, the touristy spots maybe I don't go to as often as you do, but I'd hazard that my sunny disposition and smile on my face will go a long way towards a smile back from a local compared to the sour faces some of you here must permanently wear. Or maybe they just like me more than they do you...
Welcome to Missouri GFFG and thank you for giving an honest opinion from the perspective of someone from a different country. Nice first submission to citydata and glad to see we didn't fit all the negative steroetypes you might have come with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
 
16 posts, read 35,354 times
Reputation: 37
I want to thank every one that gave me a helpful response. To the others, not so much :-)
I have been in many churches where the kids are crying and rolling around on the floor. The parents give them chocolate to keep them busy and they get it in the rug and on the seats. I have been grossed out so many times that I had to leave. Many times, I'd grab a shopping cart at the store and it's be all sticky. And yet they allow these brats every where. I have a sign in my house that reads "All pets welcome, Children must be on a leash".
By the way my dog would not be more comfortable or "pampered" in a kennel. He would sit there for days or a week waiting for me to return.
twice we had to do it and it took us a long time to get him back to normal
He's our kid and there's no way we could live him behind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,594 posts, read 35,647,457 times
Reputation: 29295
Well, Susan, perhaps that's just one of the major differences between the values of those of you on the Left Coast, if you typify them, and those of us in middle-America. Here we tend to put more value on people, regardless of age, than we do on animals. Go figure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Table Rock Lake
971 posts, read 1,380,755 times
Reputation: 958
My oldest daughter is like Susan. She is on her second golden lab which is her kid. She doesn't have much patience with her unruly nieces & nephews. My daughter doesn't realize how much trouble a parent can have from a government enity if a parent doesn't apply just the proper accepted disipline with their kids.

We had kids in our house for over 21 years. When the kids left, the pets stayed until their demise. After all the kids were gone and pets, we had outlived our desire for the responsibility of pets. Time for pampering our spouses.

Many times we have been starteled by a yapper in a car in the parking lots. We will put up with the scare knowing the owner enjoys their yapper on their return to their vehicle. After raising kids, we never had the extra funds necessary to pay the bills on a pet anymore.

Welcome to southwest Missouri. Old timers will often wave their "how do's" when they drive by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Mojave Desert/Shell Knob
94 posts, read 194,227 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, Susan, perhaps that's just one of the major differences between the values of those of you on the Left Coast, if you typify them, and those of us in middle-America. Here we tend to put more value on people, regardless of age, than we do on animals. Go figure.
Some of us here on the "left coast" value both. Not everyone fits into the negative view "some" perpetuate of Californians. Go figure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
 
8 posts, read 17,436 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan423 View Post
I want to thank every one that gave me a helpful response. To the others, not so much :-)
I have been in many churches where the kids are crying and rolling around on the floor. The parents give them chocolate to keep them busy and they get it in the rug and on the seats. I have been grossed out so many times that I had to leave. Many times, I'd grab a shopping cart at the store and it's be all sticky. And yet they allow these brats every where. I have a sign in my house that reads "All pets welcome, Children must be on a leash".
By the way my dog would not be more comfortable or "pampered" in a kennel. He would sit there for days or a week waiting for me to return.
twice we had to do it and it took us a long time to get him back to normal
He's our kid and there's no way we could live him behind.

Ahem... I will say... I have yet to meet anyone from BRANSON who is rude... I won't say the same for some of it's visitors... I'm also glad that there are no children where you come from, are you sure you wouldn't be happier staying there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,543 times
Reputation: 21
Default Place to get your pet pampered

Someone asked who was the best dog groomer in Southeast Missouri? You will never believe it but try the groomer in Ellington. I think there is only one. I know; where the hell is Ellington? It is a bit out of the way but it is worth it. I would not give you much for the guy that runs the cash register (little scary) but the blond gal that does the grooming talks to the dogs, and I swear to god the dogs understand her. At least my sister’s dog did. I would have bet a million dollars her dog was going to bite anyone that put her in the bathtub but that dog was happy as a lark when she came out. I don’t know what she does because they take her into the back room, but when she came out the groomer lady could make her sit, stay, licked her constantly. Maybe good food because my sisters dog does not lick anyone, her dog has the taste of human but it is not from licking. And she looked like she just won best in show. I don’t know what they do there but you should really try it at least once. A lot of people travel a long way to get their dogs done there. I don’t know the name of the place but it is right next to the police station downtown. Also I think she only works until about noon or 1 o’clock and that makes it hard because you have to get up early to get to Ellington. Also while she is working on your dog there is absolutely nothing to do in Ellington. It takes about 15 minutes to walk through the stores then nothing. Except if you like museums, they have one but I did not go in. I ran into a restaurant called Halls. Good food. That is how I would recommend spending your time. Anyway, it is a little inconvenient to go there but the grooming is worth it. I would vote her as the best groomer in Southeast Missouri. Even above Petco. LOL
Susan, don't pay much attention to the folks from Colorado repling to these posts. Odds are they have never been to Branson. It is one cool place and they are all animal friendly people. The other posts are pure garbage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top