U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM

48 posts, read 49,235 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon.

Hubby's company has bought an engineering office in Springfield, Mo.
It appears that we will be relocating from Illinois (yay!).

I homeschool year-round. We have 2 children, ages 8 & 10.

We are NOT interested in living inside big and medium sized cities. That said we are interested in rural living, minimum of 20 acres (max: ?).

We do prefer friendly small community, that would be up to 40 minutes drive from central western part of Springfield, Mo.

We'd like a future home where we can have a few horses/cattles as well as smaller farm animals.

We also like to have a multi-generational home(s) on the same land, hopefully there'd be no zoning issue? In other words, purchase land with an existing house and build a main house.

I hope I have provided enough information to where all of you can help advise me. We will be back in a couple of days for a few days' visit in Springfield, Mo.

Thank you in advance for your helpful suggestions.

BTW, both of my daughters are asking if there's any towns that has hitching posts so some residents can ride their horses into town.

Debbie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 PM

914 posts, read 2,050,408 times
Roughly speaking your boundaries are Rogersville on the east, Ozark over to Clever on the south, Marionville to the southwest, possibly as far as Ash Grove to the northwest, Walnut Grove (maybe) around to Bolivar to the north, and back around to Fair Grove and on south on Mo. 125 back to Rogersville on the northeast to east.

This encompasses rather a lot of area. Perhaps you could specify what you want in a community and be more specific as to size.

The southeast, south and southwest are more desirable from the standpoint of real estate re-sale, it is easier to find acreages to the northwest, north, and northeast. Only Greene and Christian counties have zoning. Outside those counties, building an additional house typically will involve only getting a permit for the well/septic system. Usually you need three to five acres for this. If inside an incorporated area other requirements may apply.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Roughly speaking your boundaries are Rogersville on the east, Ozark over to Clever on the south, Marionville to the southwest, possibly as far as Ash Grove to the northwest, Walnut Grove (maybe) around to Bolivar to the north, and back around to Fair Grove and on south on Mo. 125 back to Rogersville on the northeast to east.

This encompasses rather a lot of area. Perhaps you could specify what you want in a community and be more specific as to size.

The southeast, south and southwest are more desirable from the standpoint of real estate re-sale, it is easier to find acreages to the northwest, north, and northeast. Only Greene and Christian counties have zoning. Outside those counties, building an additional house typically will involve only getting a permit for the well/septic system. Usually you need three to five acres for this. If inside an incorporated area other requirements may apply.
Thank you, Arrby. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

A realtor did mentioned Greene County as problematic (zoning issues), but did not mentioned Christian county.

A thought --- do you know if those zoning laws are based on limiting the number of houses or based on building codes?

To answer to your question, a minimum of 20 acres. The type of community? Hopefully, friendly and their willingness to help in in times of need. If you're asking about the size of town, we prefer upwards of population:10k. If not realistic, up to population: 20k.

We're former Lutherans. Our city's churches generally do not encourage their congregations to read the Bible in full. We're now what we call ourselves "Biblically Christians", meaning we actually read the Bible but are not active in church. Therefore, I do not know how similar or different between Illinois and Missouri when it comes to "Biblically Christians". I'm hoping for the best.

Partly joking (on my part), but my daughters (they're serious) are curious if any towns have hitching posts for anyone riding their horses into town?

In the meantime, we should be arriving in Springfield, Mo late tonight for approx. a week to check out multiple towns.

Any suggestions/advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thanx.
Debbie

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

No, we don't have hitching posts anymore. There are some in Mennonite communities though.

Within your commuting distance only Ozark, Nixa, Republic, and Bolivar are 10,000 or larger. Ozark, Nixa, and Republic all share borders with Springfield and, while separate and distinct communities, are in many ways bedroom suburbs of Springfield. But frankly communities like Willard (5,000) or Rogersville (3,000) with either have what you want or are close enough to Springfield to get whatever you need.

Rush hour traffic into Springfield from the south (Nixa, Ozark) is often pretty bad. This is, however, the area most sought after by real estate buyers. Land is correspondingly more expensive as well - $10,000/ac. or more is not uncommon. Go north and it drops as low as $1500/ac up in Polk or Webster.

Do be aware that a very large concentration of shopping is in south east Springfield. Virtually all health care facilities - including physicians - is likewise in south central to southeast Springfield.

You may find the perfect property almost anywhere, but do be aware of traffic patterns and flow. I think I would tend to gravitate to western, possibly on up into northwest Greene County if I was in your situation - but really, who can say?

Codes vary slightly by the county and community. Even Pleasant Hope (pop. 600) has its own building codes now! Building additional houses on an existing property will be a matter of either subdivision or simple deeding. I believe Greene County still allows 5 acre parcels to be build on. Other counties require only three. Anything smaller requires a platted subdivision.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 AM

Three years later, I’m back!

A very quick update……

We’ve spent the last three years (off and on) researching, visiting and deciding on which states to relocate: Missouri, Oklahoma or Texas.

Of course, life has thrown thrown the monkey wrench a couple of times. Thankfully, nothing like life-threatening or anything major. But it does seem God has a way guiding us on where to go, whether we like it or not.

After multiple trips to three different states and difficult decisions to make, my family had just decided on Texas mainly due to two reasons:
1) Milder and shorter winter
2) More sun

Alas, that isn’t going to happen……

Last week, the CEO (of my hubby’s structural/civil engineering company) asked my hubby if he’s interested in a transfer. A relocation to the Springfield, MO. (same office they bought 3 years ago). After a family discussion, my hubby accepted the offer.

We are now focusing back onto Missouri and we will be moving this coming winter, at the latest. We can choose the date, as long as it’s before Spring 2016.

I’ve spent the last week doing research and I have some of my questions answered. The rest of my questions (and subsequent questions) will need answers from the Missourians and multiple trips to Missouri.

May I ask for your help and invite you to my journey for the next few months, until we move?

Arrby, you have been helpful the last time and I would love to learn more from you.

I would like to ask for help, by way of your advice and suggestions, from the Springfield/Branson Missourians.

I’ll start with a few questions on the next post.

Thanx.
Debbie

Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 AM

Everything on my 1st post is still accurate.

We do want to avoid southern areas (outside) of Springfield.

We’re uncertain about SW and SE areas (outside) of Springfield.

We also do not want to live in bedroom communities.

Hubby’s new office is located a couple of blocks north of W. Sunshine and few blocks east of S. Kansas Expressway. So that’ll give you an idea of commute time.

We are planning on town hunting once a month, starting on the last week or weekend of July. Of course, we can only do a few days’ worth of each monthly trips.

While the weather is warm, we thought we’d take advantage of camping (via KOA or similar).

Problem is, we can’t decide which side to start.

We’d like it up to 45 minutes (preferably 30 minutes) commute time.

Here are my first four questions——

Question: For those who live long distance, do most people car pool? We’ve never done it before but, it would make sense to us.

Question: Which side would you recommend us to check out first?

Question: We’d like to avoid renting, if at all possible. I’ve read in the forum that most realtors aren’t reliable. That said, is it best for us to speak to a realtor or buyer’s agent? Who would you recommend, before we arrive?

Question:We are Biblical Christian family and attend an independent (non-501 c3) church that focuses the Bible. Which ever side you recommend us to visit first, are you familiar any similar churches nearby?

Thank you for your time.

Debbie

Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM

There are plenty of reliable real estate agents, and buyer's agents are easily available. Like any other professional, good ones are busy and often hard to get. Terms are negotiable, and I would not contract initially with anyone for a period in excess of 30 days.

You have some contradictions. You do not want a bedroom community, but want to live that way yourself. Carpooling is very common, but (not surprisingly) most easily done from bedroom communities. The reality is that the Springfield metro area now has people commuting in every direction - into and out of Springfield, and even from suburb to suburb.

The job location is in the Elfindale area? This is most easily reached from locations in an arc from southwest of Springfield to north. However, a 40 minute commute will take you a great distance in any direction. I suggest you initially search within Greene County. Really almost any point within the county will meet your commuting needs. If his hours are at all flexible you can defeat the rush hour traffic by arriving before 8:00 am or after 9:00 am and leaving before 4:00 pm or after 6:00 pm.

Churches are simply too personal a matter to advise upon. There is an active House Church movement and you may want to look into that option.

Feel free to send me a PM.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Good morning, Arrby!

Yes, the location is on Elfindale.

I apologize about the bedroom community contradiction. Perhaps we both have different definitions?

From past visits, we checked out areas such as Nixa, Republic and nearby areas (closest to Spfld) are very nice areas but they’re too crowded for us. We prefer to be further away from Springfield. I thought they were called bedroom communities, no?

We’re interested in living out in the country. Years ago, I loved living out in the country with a 35 minutes drive to a mid-sized city (population: 100K). Although we live on the outer skirts of our city, city life has never been our favorite place to live in. The land and farm ranch are too pricey in central Illinois.

We like Bolivar. We saw Marshfield and few other rural areas but we’ve forgotten what they looked like.

We’re interested in checking out the following counties: Douglas, Webster, Polk, Lawrence. Perhaps Dallas and Dade.

A few years ago, a realtor told us that Greene has higher taxes as well as pretty restrictive regulations.

I think Christian county is similar to Greene as well. Correct me if we’ve been misinformed.

Sometime today or tonight, I’ll take up your offer for me to PM you.

Thanx.
Debbie

Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Some of the area towns are largely bedroom communities today, others are not. Ozark, Nixa, Republic all have so much going on within their own boundaries to make their own identities. Clever, Willard, Fair Grove, Strafford, and many others have become, for better or worse, places where people live to work in Springfield. As you get farther out the old rural towns have retained more of their own character. Bolivar, Marionville, Marshfield, etc., all have many commuters but are still easily identified as entirely their own separate towns.

Bolivar proper is going to be a stretch to make the 40 minute commute time. A Morrisville address would get you closer.

You could go outside of Nixa or Republic and still be within your commute distance.

Both Christian and Greene counties have zoning and require building permits. No other counties in the area do, but individual communities sometimes have their own. These requirements are not so onerous that they should be the deciding factor. Greene county taxes are higher, but so are services (good roads, libraries, parks, etc.). Again, check the actual taxes on any property you may be interested in - it may not be as much higher in Greene County as you think. Any property anywhere with dwellings will have to conform to state requirements on wells, septic systems, and the distances between them.

Only the extreme northwest part of Douglas County is reachable from central Springfield in 40 minutes, if that. Webster can be; it depends upon proximity to the needed highways. Eastern Lawrence, southern Polk, and southern Dallas can fit your requirements, as well as northern Stone County. Anywhere in Dade County is going to be pretty tough.

Farm land in this area is simply not as productive as in Illinois, as so is correspondingly less valuable. Very little row cropping in done in this area, and even dairy is dying out. A wide variety of crops do well here, however, if you are interested in market gardening or becoming self-sufficient.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM

367 posts, read 726,747 times
With the stigma that north of Springfield is cheaper than south the land masses are more plentiful north of I-44. Growth between Republic, Battlefield Ozark and Nixa has been far greater than Rogersville, Strafford and Willard. The Amish have settlements east of Rogersville. Willard has the lowest cost of living in the area. Land off of hwy 13 between the city and Bolivar is equally affordable.

Your looking at the buckle of the bible belt so there are no shortage of places to worship.

I know of a person with 10 acres in Polk county who would love to move. Problem is it's an hour commute to the Elfindale.

Doesn't Centex have a partnership with realtor or developer to get you started?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area