Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 PM

537 posts, read 441,205 times

Advertisements

We have a possible chance that our one daughter will be moving back to the St. Louis area. Yay!!!! My husband came up with the bright idea to rent our house out to her and their family and for us to look at the possibility of moving to the Springfield area. I told him that I would look into it and think about it. We would want to rent an apartment instead of actually buying another home. Though we have driven through Springfield when we visited Branson many moons ago, we know nothing about the area, except for what I read on here that is.

What are the better areas to live in for apartments for a senior couple? My husband does use a cane, if that would make a difference at all. We also have a cat. We would like to pay no more than $600/per month if that would be possible and still be in a decent part of the town. What would any of you suggest? Once we find out for sure about our daughter and if she will indeed be moving back to St. Louis then we would come down to check the area out ourselves and look at some apartments. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful to me and very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Is there anyone here that can an swer any of m y questions please?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,379 times
There are lots of apts in Spfld. Some can be found and viewed online at a website for apartments in various cities. Type in apartments with the usual ending for websites. There are others not online because they are smaller complexes. As far as where I would suggest not to look is anywhere near MSU, not because of crime, but lets just say not all kids are neat freaks, and the landlords aren't always either when it comes to student housing. Just generalizing here, people. Lived for a bit in some on Republic road, which is on the south side, they are right now building about 8 more buildings. There is currently a moratoreum(sp) on building new complexes, so the only ones right now being built are those who had a permit before this passed. Anyway, the ones we lived in were nice, but noisy, could hear the neighbors quite well. But I think pretty much all the newer ones are built with wood only, so noise travels readily. But the floor plan was nice, esp. for the two bedroom. You just need to come on down and look around, and pick up one of the local apt guide books that are in the little boxes in front of the groceries or Walmart. There are also some nice ones on Kansas Expressway (it's really a street, not a highway)near Chesterfield, and some brand new ones a bit further up kansas, I think just about at Sunshine. They look nice anyway, and brand spanking new. Don't know much about the north side, but also don't think there's anything to be recommended up that a way. I would search south of Sunshine. That's where most complexes are anyway. Happy hunting, hope this helps a bit. And PS...most have signs out looking for renters, so you might also score free internet, utilities or something like that when they are looking for good renters. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of units for rent right now. Don't know the rates though, sorry, you'd have to call them directly for that info, but a one bedroom should be in your price range without a problem.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,379 times
Looked online for you, there are at least 6 larger complexes at $600 or less for a one bdrm. Again, there are others not online that will meet your requirements.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks so very much for your help. I hope that we can find out soon enough so we don't have to try to make the trip in the winter. I am hoping that we can come down and see all of the area in late October or into November. Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:36 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,332 times
Lightbulb I have some ideas for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Thanks so very much for your help. I hope that we can find out soon enough so we don't have to try to make the trip in the winter. I am hoping that we can come down and see all of the area in late October or into November. Thanks again.
Hmmm...maybe you can come down on the 17th and join the OTFCC for coffee in Branson!

I haven't a clue about apartments in Springfield or anywhere in the vicinity but I have a couple of thoughts for you. First, the Chamber of Commerce may have a packet for you. Their website is Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce: Your Chamber I would ask if there is a particular real estate office that helps with rentals or if they all just do it. Don't forget that they have an online list of their members, too!

The local real estate sales site for the area is gsbor.com but I didn't see anything about rentals in my cursory search. I assume you will be able to find a listing of offices to call, though, and you can let your fingers do the walking to see if any of them have any rentals for you.

Also, I visited Craig's List at springfield, MO apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist and found several properties you may want to look at. Of course, these change all the time so you'll want to go to the site I just gave and bookmark it. Besides, I just realized that you aren't even sure that this move will happen just yet, anyway. If and when you decide, many of these will be gone and many new ones listed, for sure!

One of these properties, at $695, is more than you said you wanted to spend but it seemed like you would get so much more that I listed it anyway. Also, some of these are apartments, and some are houses...and some are other things like duplexes, etc. Here's the list:

2 BR / 2 BA Duplex For Rent -- Owner/Agent (broken link)
Very nice townhomes (broken link)
3br/2ba Southwest Style Home (broken link)
house for rent (broken link)
Spacious 1BR Apartment – Great Location – MOVE IN SPECIAL! (broken link)
Large 2 Bd, 1Ba Duplex ...Lawncare included...Available Oct 25th (broken link)

Oh! And now I've thought of the newspaper! Duh! News-Leader apparently has a partnership with apartments.com so when I clicked to check out apartments, it took me to their page.

Here's a link to their rentals between $400 and $600:
Apartments.com - Search Results
(I didn't know if you have pets or anything so I just said apartments or homes.)
Just in case you need it, here's the main page to News-Leader's website: News-Leader.com | Springfield, Mo.

Okay, well, I guess I kind of got some ideas along the way! Hahaha! Whew! I'm gonna go give my fingers some time off!

Have fun runnin' down all those links!

MrsG

Old 10-03-2007, 02:34 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,768 times
Default Senior Apartments In Kimberling City

There is a subsidised complex in Kimberling City, for "youngsters" 55 and up. The rent is under $400. a month, but you pay your own electric, phone and water. Cable and trash is included. There is a short waiting list, but the average wait time is 3-6 months. The complex is called Cottage Hill Senior Apartments and is on Wildwood Drive, behind Metropolitan Bank. They are owned by Signature Management and the phone number is 417.739.9409. Tell Frank, the manager, that Lynn sent you! (I used to be the Manager, and I sure do miss my peeps!)

Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Thanks so much for the info. Really do appreciate it.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 PM

12 posts, read 64,171 times
Default What are the good areas to live in Springfield?

I'm coming from Fresno, CA. In Fresno, we have some very big differences in neighborhoods (as with any big city). You have the obvious good neighborhoods (North Fresno, Clovis, Fig Garden) and the obvious bad areas (SW Fresno). Is it the same way in Springfield?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcfalcon View Post
I'm coming from Fresno, CA. In Fresno, we have some very big differences in neighborhoods (as with any big city). You have the obvious good neighborhoods (North Fresno, Clovis, Fig Garden) and the obvious bad areas (SW Fresno). Is it the same way in Springfield?
You won't see huge differences in Springfield but in general, people seem to favor areas on the South side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area