U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 PM
 
13 posts, read 14,491 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

After reading a lot of comments, nonsense, and just plain rude remarks that seem to have totally missed the mark on the original post, I'm somewhat afraid to ask for suggestions on great places to live in Missouri aside from Columbia/Jefferson City area. As an older adult who will be graduating the end of this year from a local college, I am wondering about options in other parts of the state (or region if possible) to find work in the Social Work field. I would appreciate input from those who have actually lived in the areas more than a few months or so. I understand every place has it's good and bad points, same as with people. I'm just interested in finally getting to a place where if I visit a few times, get a job offer there and decide to take it, I can plan on spending the rest of my life living there. I have lived in the Midwest my whole life always have considered myself a Midwesterner, and always will. I grew up in Illinois, lived in Iowa for more than 30yrs., lived in Georgia for several years, and have now lived in Missouri for about 6 yrs. I know how to take care of myself, am a friendly, outgoing and positive person. I try not to give too much time or energy to ignorant people or their foolish remarks, actions, etc. None of us are perfect, but life is short and I prefer to live it in a peaceful, pleasant, beautiful and interesting surrounding as possible. I appreciate all suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,544 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoujohn View Post
If you think Springfield is diverse, you haven't lived outside the Midwest. Springfield might be the least diverse city in the country.

However, I have no clue what the OP is talking about, Springfield has outrageous costs of living and TERRIBLE traffic? I live in Orlando, and the traffic here is 10x worse than Springfield, and I know Orlando traffic is NOTHING compared to Miami, LA, Atlanta. Springfield virtually has no traffic, EVER.
John
It depends on how you look at it. Springfield has traffic in places that should NEVER have traffic. I think that's what makes it so frustrating. For example, during rush hour (lol! "Rush hour"...) heading south on National towards Sunshine shouldn't create as much congestion as it does. Campbell and hwy 60 is still congested after all this time and money spent to remodel. Hell, Chestnut Expressway is NOT EVEN AN EXPRESSWAY by the very definition of the term (Expressways don't have any intersections or traffic lights!) and is still frequently congested. The road designs are terrible here, and some of it has to do with the ongoing disputes between the state owned roads and the city.

I hear ya about the lack of diversity though. Specially when you compare it to places like FL or the Northeast. The most diversity you'll ever get in Springfield is in an MSU classroom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 03:55 PM
 
1,970 posts, read 1,253,257 times
Reputation: 968
I am really sick of the people who think it is a problem with Springfield because of the supposed lack of diversity. Really, if you don't like the lack of diversity then move the hell out and stop it with the bashing. I lived in Las Cruces, NM for a decade and saw less diversity there than in Springfield. People said that Las Cruces was diverse because it was a majority of Hispanic, but that does not make a city diverse. Springfield is more diverse than many cities I have lived and/or visited.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,101 posts, read 6,771,969 times
Reputation: 6107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I am really sick of the people who think it is a problem with Springfield because of the supposed lack of diversity. Really, if you don't like the lack of diversity then move the hell out and stop it with the bashing.
I too have always wondered why a lack of diversity would be a problem. Where I live now, there wasn't a lot of diversity, and it was a nice place to live, now that all this wonderful diversity has arrived, there are gangs, more crime, litter, tagged walls, and all the other wonderful things that diversity brings with it.......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 1,601,203 times
Reputation: 1007
Diversity is a word I have learned to loathe. Nothing wrong with being white and preferring to be surrounded by your own. Before someone calls me racist let me say I don't hate other races, just prefer to live among like minded people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 AM
 
25 posts, read 25,031 times
Reputation: 41
I see plenty of "diversity" in Springfield. Asians (mostly Chinese), Hispanics, (increasingly) Arabs. Black people we have had for a long time. We also have just about every :"white" cultural type you care to name lurking about somewhere, and often times not even lurking, including WASPs, Catholics, Amish/Mennonites, pretty much the full range of "fringe" subcultures (pagans, Goths, etc).

There's not much overt racism most of the time, though every once in awhile a specific issue crops up that can cause some tensions. People tend to keep their thoughts on race to themselves, and the PTB really work to minimize or cover up any waves that do get made.

The real "pot stirrers" are class and political views. The money-ed bunch pretty much rules the roost, and everyone else is "properly deferential" to them lest you find yourself unemployable and/or unable to rent a place to live, etc.

We're also a hotbed of pretty fringe Libertarianism right now. The GOP/TEA Party is BIG, and dominates the landscape in the County government and our Federal and State government reps. )Surprisingly, there are, however, enough Center-Progressives to make a fight of it in Springfield proper.) The biggest local politico guy is a real piece of crap named Nick Reed.

The tool is so absolutist Libertarian that he took to the airwaves for a couple of days a couple of months ago complaining that the Library system was "unfair, compulsory tax-paid competition for 'legitimate' book, music, and video stores". He never saw a tax he didn't want either slashed to the bone or eliminated entirely. If you can't work/get work, you should starve. The whole Social Darwinist package, in other words.

Our Federal House rep, Billy Long (or as I call him the "Dishonorable Billy Long") was a proud part of the "shut 'er down" brigade last October, and was fully willing to push the nation into economic collapse for the sake of ideological purity. He also routinely votes down EVERY piece of regulation and legislation that might improve worker rights in any way.

Like with race, those of us who are politically Center to Left generally don't speak up (at least in any forum where our real names are attached) too loudly against the current status quo lest we find ourselves likewise SOL when it comes to jobs, etc. God help any man brave enough to be openly pro-union in particular.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Status: "Adjusting to life as a new and reluctant widower." (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: SW MO
23,338 posts, read 27,010,841 times
Reputation: 27408
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinmidmo View Post
After reading a lot of comments, nonsense, and just plain rude remarks that seem to have totally missed the mark on the original post, I'm somewhat afraid to ask for suggestions on great places to live in Missouri aside from Columbia/Jefferson City area. As an older adult who will be graduating the end of this year from a local college, I am wondering about options in other parts of the state (or region if possible) to find work in the Social Work field. I would appreciate input from those who have actually lived in the areas more than a few months or so. I understand every place has it's good and bad points, same as with people. I'm just interested in finally getting to a place where if I visit a few times, get a job offer there and decide to take it, I can plan on spending the rest of my life living there. I have lived in the Midwest my whole life always have considered myself a Midwesterner, and always will. I grew up in Illinois, lived in Iowa for more than 30yrs., lived in Georgia for several years, and have now lived in Missouri for about 6 yrs. I know how to take care of myself, am a friendly, outgoing and positive person. I try not to give too much time or energy to ignorant people or their foolish remarks, actions, etc. None of us are perfect, but life is short and I prefer to live it in a peaceful, pleasant, beautiful and interesting surrounding as possible. I appreciate all suggestions.
Check out the SW MO Ozarks. Don't know what the social work scene is like but it should meet your need for the colored phrase. It certainly does for us.

As for the two bolded statements, they seem to be at odds with one another, hmm!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 PM
 
699 posts, read 1,238,062 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield Citizen View Post
The real "pot stirrers" are class and political views. The money-ed bunch pretty much rules the roost, and everyone else is "properly deferential" to them lest you find yourself unemployable and/or unable to rent a place to live, etc.

We're also a hotbed of pretty fringe Libertarianism right now. The GOP/TEA Party is BIG, and dominates the landscape in the County government and our Federal and State government reps. )Surprisingly, there are, however, enough Center-Progressives to make a fight of it in Springfield proper.) The biggest local politico guy is a real piece of crap named Nick Reed.

The tool is so absolutist Libertarian that he took to the airwaves for a couple of days a couple of months ago complaining that the Library system was "unfair, compulsory tax-paid competition for 'legitimate' book, music, and video stores". He never saw a tax he didn't want either slashed to the bone or eliminated entirely. If you can't work/get work, you should starve. The whole Social Darwinist package, in other words.

Our Federal House rep, Billy Long (or as I call him the "Dishonorable Billy Long") was a proud part of the "shut 'er down" brigade last October, and was fully willing to push the nation into economic collapse for the sake of ideological purity. He also routinely votes down EVERY piece of regulation and legislation that might improve worker rights in any way.

Like with race, those of us who are politically Center to Left generally don't speak up (at least in any forum where our real names are attached) too loudly against the current status quo lest we find ourselves likewise SOL when it comes to jobs, etc. God help any man brave enough to be openly pro-union in particular.
Thank you for remaining silent. We appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 AM
 
25 posts, read 25,031 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Thank you for remaining silent. We appreciate it.
And that is supposed to mean what, exactly?

You think it's GOOD for your side to dominate the political and media scene so completely that only the Extreme Libertarian viewpoint gets put before the public? The "Fishwrapper" (aka the News-Leader) is so scared of it's advertising revenue that it has gone from a feisty and independent legitimate newspaper to a PR rubber-stamp for the Chamber of Commerce. The local talk radio scene (like in too many other places) refuses to air any programs at all to counterbalance the Rush/Hannity/Levin party line, let alone put an equal voice up against a piece of offal like Nick Reed. AM 560 is OPENLY airing Objectivist propaganda from one of the Ayn Rand organizations...

That's not healthy for democracy. It's certainly not healthy for all the people who stand to be victimized by the Social Darwinists should they fully seize power.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 AM
 
2,012 posts, read 963,037 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield Citizen View Post
And that is supposed to mean what, exactly?

You think it's GOOD for your side to dominate the political and media scene so completely that only the Extreme Libertarian viewpoint gets put before the public? The "Fishwrapper" (aka the News-Leader) is so scared of it's advertising revenue that it has gone from a feisty and independent legitimate newspaper to a PR rubber-stamp for the Chamber of Commerce. The local talk radio scene (like in too many other places) refuses to air any programs at all to counterbalance the Rush/Hannity/Levin party line, let alone put an equal voice up against a piece of offal like Nick Reed. AM 560 is OPENLY airing Objectivist propaganda from one of the Ayn Rand organizations...

That's not healthy for democracy. It's certainly not healthy for all the people who stand to be victimized by the Social Darwinists should they fully seize power.
So it's not enough that almost all the national media is a wholly owned propaganda organ for leftists? Be glad that you don't live in a major city where the only newspaper available is a leftist rag that puts Pravda to shame.

The simple reason you don't find lefty talk radio is because it always, always fails. People get fed up with the shrill, hysterical screaming in pretty short order.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top