U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM

8 posts, read 11,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I took a black friend with me to visit my parents in the late 70s. They lived south of Springfield at the time (Douglas County). Back then it was VERY unusual to see a black person, but we went from Springfield to Branson and everywhere in between, and no one was rude to her at all. In fact, everyone was very nice and friendly to her. She was the type of person who was going to enjoy herself whether people were nice to her or not. But they were. People are just in general NICE down there and polite to everyone unless they have a reason not to be.
This is consistent with my experiences. Usually the worst you can expect is someone asking a question based on a generalization due to lack of experience with people of other cultures/races, but they are typically well meaning, kind-hearted people. I recently took some Chinese students I've befriended to a Super Bowl party in Strafford, and everybody there went out of their way to make them comfortable. Even explaining the rules of American football, and letting them try Apple Pie moonshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 972,497 times
After 1906 most Blacks left Springfield as matter fact I left in 1972 and had never seen a Black in Springfield.Most people for several years afterwards would do their best to run any other than a White out of the area.And most I talk to now say yes Blacks move in from Kansas City and Chicago to get away from their problems but instead bring their problems with them.

Just what I hear and see.

brushrunner

Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Here's some more recent demographic data for you. Springfield, MO - Profiles - Diversity Data - Metropolitan Quality of Life Data As for the rest, we moved here from the Left Coast going on four years ago. We live about 55 miles south of Springfield and less than 10 miles from the Arkansas border. If you have only lived in one place there will be some culture shock. However, we've seen and heard very little racism since we've been here. I wouldn't worry about it overly much. I will warn you, especially if you're coming from California, that there are no Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or In-N-Out Burgers.
I grew up in rural southern Missouri, and lived in Springfield for more than a decade. I don't live there anymore, nor do I wish to. Apparently, most people seem to believe that racism can only be demonstrated by burning a cross, or refusing service to a person of color, or by any of the other convenient cliches which our society clings to so they will not have to admit that their total ignorance of the rest of the world is, in fact, not ignorant. There's plenty of racism in Springfield for whoever wants to know, but it is a barely noticed, rarely spoken of, and even more rarely used kind of racism; in other words, because so few people of color come into contact with the great white masses in Greene County, very few incidents of racism are ever brought to the surface. That does not mean racist sentiments, even very strong and ugly ones, do not exist.

The first place I lived outside of south Missouri was a historically black neighborhood in an upper Midwestern city; I could literally count on one hand the number of other white people in my neighborhood. Even though the place had some crime -- drug crime and petty theft, mostly -- I felt better in that particular area than I did in any place in Springfield, Missouri, which is a whitewashed, tasteless place.

Springfield is a good place to live if you like politically-motivated mega-churches which require tax documents from their members to ensure a substantial tithe (the same members who, in all likelihood, believe that taxation is simply the guv'ment stealing their money). It's a good place to live cheaply if you like having a cheapened life, and if you like your own life to cheapen progressively, like toothpaste in a Wal-Mart warehouse. It's a good place to live if you like steaming hot, humid summers, damp chilly winters, and lots of people who believe that is nice weather. Springfield is not a good place to live if you are black -- not because I am black, but because there are so few black people in the city who have a decent life, you won't have much of a chance either. To the white people of Springfield, of course, that will be your own fault. That, friends, is racism.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM

51 posts, read 133,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgibson78 View Post
I grew up in rural southern Missouri, and lived in Springfield for more than a decade. I don't live there anymore, nor do I wish to. Apparently, most people seem to believe that racism can only be demonstrated by burning a cross, or refusing service to a person of color, or by any of the other convenient cliches which our society clings to so they will not have to admit that their total ignorance of the rest of the world is, in fact, not ignorant. There's plenty of racism in Springfield for whoever wants to know, but it is a barely noticed, rarely spoken of, and even more rarely used kind of racism; in other words, because so few people of color come into contact with the great white masses in Greene County, very few incidents of racism are ever brought to the surface. That does not mean racist sentiments, even very strong and ugly ones, do not exist.

The first place I lived outside of south Missouri was a historically black neighborhood in an upper Midwestern city; I could literally count on one hand the number of other white people in my neighborhood. Even though the place had some crime -- drug crime and petty theft, mostly -- I felt better in that particular area than I did in any place in Springfield, Missouri, which is a whitewashed, tasteless place.

Springfield is a good place to live if you like politically-motivated mega-churches which require tax documents from their members to ensure a substantial tithe (the same members who, in all likelihood, believe that taxation is simply the guv'ment stealing their money). It's a good place to live cheaply if you like having a cheapened life, and if you like your own life to cheapen progressively, like toothpaste in a Wal-Mart warehouse. It's a good place to live if you like steaming hot, humid summers, damp chilly winters, and lots of people who believe that is nice weather. Springfield is not a good place to live if you are black -- not because I am black, but because there are so few black people in the city who have a decent life, you won't have much of a chance either. To the white people of Springfield, of course, that will be your own fault. That, friends, is racism.
"Racism" - Prejudice that members of one "race," e.g., White, Black, Hispanic or Latino, Asian, bi-racial ethnicity et. al. are intrinsically superior to members of other races or discriminatory/abusive behavior towards members of another race can be not only white vs. other ethnicities, e.g., Black, Hispanic, or Asian, but can just as well be Black, Hispanic prejudiced toward White people. Too often ethnocintric self-perception blinds individuals in such as way that they are unable to recognize that racism is in fact a prejudiced attitude toward "any" race other one's own race. Expressions like "whitewashed" carry a tone that could easily be interpreted as racially divisive. Many of us see Springfield as an open and tasteful community in which to live. We tend to see life through the prism of our own experiences; which may be positive or negative. Remember, look for the good ... it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvJ8UquYoo

Last edited by Zoltani; 03-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,642 times
I can see Zoltani read the post carefully, given that the response was only to a fraction of what was written. If we are only capable of seeing through the prism of our own experiences -- unable to see any position from outside of our own solipsism -- then I suppose that Springfield smells like roses and breathes a sweet dew. If I have to hear another person suggest that race or racism is only something perceived by its victim, I don't know what the hell I will do. Keep vomiting in my own mouth and swallowing it back down, I suppose. Happy trails.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 PM

75 posts, read 109,234 times
I experienced ample racism during my decades in California... a USA Gringo citizen often surrounded by MANY Chicanos and the job sometimes placed me in areas where I was the minority as a Gringo and, in some locales, a minority as a USA citizen.

The worst event was being shot at with a pistol as anti-Gringo sentiments were shouted.

Stomped by 8 Chicano gang member for having the nerve to be in the Chicano part of time.

These events were not experienced only by me.

However, good luck hearing about those types of events in the mass media!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM

144 posts, read 117,048 times
whats a gringo

Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM

75 posts, read 109,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
whats a gringo
An Anglo... a Caucasian... typically a USA citizen

Gringo is generally a negative term, somewhat akin to calling somebody from Mexico a beaner.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 PM

144 posts, read 117,048 times
the media only reports what obama wants them to. state run.
california.............well is it still part of america.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 972,497 times
Springfield is changing the thing with Hispanics is first thing they think is Illegal trying to take their Job.Which there has been several in the area doing this,there was one company close to Springfield hiring Illegals got so bad they moved to Arkansas.

My first wife was Native American,people didn't like them in town but her family didn't like Blacks and were very outspoken about them.Got a Sister had Amish move in by them their always talking about how bad the Amish are Me I'm Cajun my Father in Law didn't want me marrying into the family and had his own Rascist names for me.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area