U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 PM

260 posts, read 439,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
I've never been to Maryland or Dlelaware. I have no idea what they are like and never gave either much thought except once I did wonder for about 20 minutes why they are not one state instead of two. I would assume they are similar to Virginia, or Pennsylvania, but I never considered them Southern, though the natives of those states may consider their selves to be as Southern as mint juleps and magnolias.
Maryland does have some southern culture left on the Eastern Shore but that's about it. Otherwise it is basically a part of the northeast. Also what differs is that in MD when you cross into VA it just doesn't turn southern. Northern VA near MD is not southern at all. Unlike with AR when you cross into MO the culture is still southern.

Before the civil war even MD was losing it's southern characteristics and the slave population was declining, and MOs slave population was increasing.

DE was not a southern state during the civil war even. No chance it was ever going to secede. The gov even promised Lincoln that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmink View Post
You don't even have a clue what your talking about! I live just outside of Branson, and moved here from Des Moines.Trust me, Springfield and Des Moines have nothing in common! PERIOD!!!
True! While Springfield might not be 100 percent southern, it's close and I would certainly call it a southern city before a Midwest one.

ancestry, religion, dialect, culture, region springfield is more aligned with the south.

I had a teacher in community college for a couple classes and he was from Iowa and said when he gets into Missouri he gets a different feel. He says how it feels like the bible belt and how Iowa doesn't, and the general pace of things as well seem slower than it does in Iowa. I believe he was from the Des Moines area as well and says how the Mason Dixon Line runs thru Missouri.

He's right. I even hear others say how when they cross into MO from IA, NE, KS how the feel is quite noticeable when you cross the state lines.

Many say the same thing about Kansas and Oklahoma. Certainly a bible belt feel comes into play.

Now I'm not saying northern MO near Iowa is southern lol but that due to religion and such the feel is noticeable.

But being in the lower Midwest St. Louis for example people from Minneapolis, Chicago, Des Moines, Cleveland had also said Stl seems a bit slower paced than the upper Midwest. Doesn't mean it's the south though.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 AM

649 posts, read 775,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Lol you are actually the one with the issue. I am not going to move from my hometown which is 100% southern because you think all of Missouri is Midwestern. I actually think you resent the southern culture of this part of Missouri....I am not sure why! All my friends from here are southern and my town is southern so why should I have to move?! You really need to do your research and maybe learn some more about this part of Missouri!!!
Springfield/Branson is Southern, but MO is undoubtedly a part of the Midwest nationally.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
He's right. I even hear others say how when they cross into MO from IA, NE, KS how the feel is quite noticeable when you cross the state lines.
MO is undoubtedly Midwestern nationally and it's NOT just because of the Census Bureau. It's simply because MO is predominantly Midwestern with the southern influences by the Ozarks INSUFFICIENT to override the state's status as a MIDWESTERN state of the United States of America. All my friends in various parts of KC and St Joe would never dispute that MO is Midwest and both of MO's two largest cities are more dynamic of the largest cities of those three states you named. IA, NE, KS...? LoL. Quit deceiving yourself and trying to ramp it down everybody's throat that MO is a southern state.

You and another person kept at it for months in a thread that was actually devoted to it and you've since tried to carry on the same thing in two other threads.
Quote:
Many say the same thing about Kansas and Oklahoma. Certainly a bible belt feel comes into play.
KS is Midwest. OK is Southern.
Quote:
Now I'm not saying northern MO near Iowa is southern lol but that due to religion and such the feel is noticeable..
Lots of *gasp!* atheists in KC.
Quote:
But being in the lower Midwest St. Louis for example people from Minneapolis, Chicago, Des Moines, Cleveland had also said Stl seems a bit slower paced than the upper Midwest. Doesn't mean it's the south though.
This is a ridiculous quote. How northern a city is has nothing to do with pace. Houston is faster paced than Wichita. You lost all credibility with Des Moines and Cleveland..

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-20-2013 at 03:40 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
MO is undoubtedly Midwestern nationally and it's NOT just because of the Census Bureau. It's simply because MO is predominantly Midwestern with the southern influences by the Ozarks INSUFFICIENT to override the state's status as a MIDWESTERN state of the United States of America. All my friends in various parts of KC and St Joe would never dispute that MO is Midwest and both of MO's two largest cities are more dynamic of the largest cities of those three states you named. IA, NE, KS...? LoL. Quit deceiving yourself and trying to ramp it down everybody's throat that MO is a southern state.

You and another person kept at it for months in a thread that was actually devoted to it and you've since tried to carry on the same thing in two other threads.
KS is Midwest. OK is Southern.

Lots of *gasp!* atheists in KC.
This is a ridiculous quote. How northern a city is has nothing to do with pace. Houston is faster paced than Wichita. You lost all credibility with Des Moines and Cleveland..
You're full of it and I can tell by your attitude.

I didn't say MO was a southern state.

No wonder you're "sad."

and the census says DE and MD are southern and they're not. They're much less southern than MO even is. The census is not credible when it comes to the map.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You're full of it and I can tell by your attitude.

I didn't say MO was a southern state.

No wonder you're "sad."

and the census says DE and MD are southern and they're not. They're much less southern than MO even is. The census is not credible when it comes to the map.
Your rejoinder about "census bureau" has actually been preemptively responded beforehand. Are you sure English is your first language? This question must be so terrible given that you are a white supremacist. I'm sorry.

Read again.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,652,936 times
Ok can't believe all these pages. Me I've considered Missouri all my life southern, an't no one going to change my mind so no longer wasting my time.

brushrunner

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok can't believe all these pages. Me I've considered Missouri all my life southern, an't no one going to change my mind so no longer wasting my time.

brushrunner
25 or so percent of Missouri is firmly in Dixie, but not the whole state. And another 25 percent is influenced by the south like southern IN and southern IL.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Status: "Adjusting to life as a new and reluctant widower." (set 26 days ago)

23,338 posts, read 27,010,841 times
Quote:
25 or so percent of Missouri is firmly in Dixie, but not the whole state. And another 25 percent is influenced by the south like southern IN and southern IL.
So, since the original subject of this thread was Springfield racism, yea or nay, are you inferring that 25% of MO is racist and another 25% leans in that direction, or is it just you?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So, since the original subject of this thread was Springfield racism, yea or nay, are you inferring that 25% of MO is racist and another 25% leans in that direction, or is it just you?
Can I take this as Southern = racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area