U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 PM

15 posts, read 61,273 times

Advertisements

Well my family and I relocated here from Alaska about 3 months ago. My husband is an avid hunter/fisherman and we were a little disappointed on how far we have to drive to get to a good lake, Stockton and Table Rock. He is looking forward to duck hunting also, but I am concerned how far it is. My question is to all the people in the Webster county area where do you hunt and fish at?? We have 3 daughters who like to go fishing as well. Any help would be great. Hunting ideas too. Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 PM

318 posts, read 516,606 times
We fished this weekend at Pomme de Terre Lake. We live in Strafford and it only took barely an hour, pulling a 5th wheel. My kids fished all weekend. My son won the family bet of the biggest fish of the weekend, a 14" Bass. He learned how to clean it too. It was an appetizer to our Sat. night.

As for hunting, that would be one for my husband. We have over 10 acrea and can hunt on our land. He has hunted for deer and turkey. We also have hunted on a few different neighbors property as well. He is not much for bird hunting so don't know much about that.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,157,589 times
I can't comment on the hunting in Alaska, but I assume that a lot of it takes place on public land since there is so much land available. In Missouri the majority of hunting (at least most decent hunting) will take place on private land. It can take time to network and get permission to hunt, but that seems to be the best way to find good hunting land unless you want to buy (or lease) it.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM

99 posts, read 213,482 times
Tigerlilly,

When my family lived in Missouri, we use to go trout fishing at Roaring River S.P., a fairly small river, with camping area and the trout is great fun to fly fish for and to eat. Good for a weekend trip, southwest of Springfield and worth the trip. Hwy 80 SW to hwy 37 to Cassville then to Roaring River S.P.

The local rivers should be good fishing. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,891,750 times
Ifin I post where my hunting and/or fishing spots are, you won't tell anyone else, right?

One idea can tell ya is to hang out in local gathering holes, be they donut, coffee, etc., and get to know the locals. Show 'em that yas ain't a bunch of city slickers just there to get their game, leave trash, damage the fences/gates, etc. Talk w/ your neighbors, coworkers, etc. Join local hunting/shooting/fishing club. Be honest and friendly, be patient. Stop at a farmers house that has area that looks promising - talk with 'em. Some may shoot at ya, others already have people doing such there, whereas others just might welcome ya - don't know until ya try. One good thing [as far as I know] is that Missouri is not messed up as bad [IMHO] as other states where so much land is tied up in 'hunting/fishing clubs' via leases and such.

Good luck!

ps: I was only joking about some may shoot at yas; even tho' that may have happened to the fool that is posting this, maybe... once,,, or twice...

Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 PM

104 posts, read 289,647 times
my husband joined a local forum like this one for catfishing but they talk about other fish too.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 16,312 times
This may not be of any great help, but visit Missouri Ozarks Lakes & Rivers Web Sites for Bass Fishing and Recreation

Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,509,059 times
Cool Very cool link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hamrick View Post
Great link, Frank! I like it...

Old 10-25-2008, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I can't comment on the hunting in Alaska, but I assume that a lot of it takes place on public land since there is so much land available. In Missouri the majority of hunting (at least most decent hunting) will take place on private land. It can take time to network and get permission to hunt, but that seems to be the best way to find good hunting land unless you want to buy (or lease) it.
Do you or anyone on here know where we can find some land to hunt on in the springfield mo area?? We are willing to pay a small fee for the appreciation of letting us use the land and do share if we get any thing while we are hunting. We are both 28 one female and one male very responsible people and would clean up our messes and take care of the land on which we would be on. my email is [mod cut - email removed per request; pls DM for info]

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-27-2008 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: email removed - send DM if interested... thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,157,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaJoleine View Post
Do you or anyone on here know where we can find some land to hunt on in the springfield mo area?? We are willing to pay a small fee for the appreciation of letting us use the land and do share if we get any thing while we are hunting. We are both 28 one female and one male very responsible people and would clean up our messes and take care of the land on which we would be on. my email is [mod cut - email removed per request; pls DM for info]
I'm afraid that I can't help with any specific places to hunt, but I would try putting up an ad in Craigslist and also scanning for ads there and in the local paper. I often see ads from people leasing out hunting rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area